I need your SOLID ADVICE

Options
I have really been struggling with my weight loss. I work out like crazy and watch what i eat and drink crazy amounts of water and lose little to no weight. My doctor suggested taking a weight loss pill to help boost my metabolism but the one she prescribed isnt covered by my insurance and it costs like $200 dollars.

I have been doing alot of research online and have found 3 possible pills i would take if anyone has taken these before please let me know your experience,.

Please refrain from leaving negative comments about diet pills i am not crazy and will be responsible, sometimes you really need something to help you out.
Please also DO NOT post on here if you are doing any sort of automatic plug for specific sites. the reason i want advice on MFP is because I know i am asking real people not the Google search engine.

!. Apidexin (show up as #1 on almost every review site.)
2. Lipofuze ( supposed to work well)
3. Phenphedrine( i know this one is really powerful but it is appealing)

If you have any suggestions on ones that arent on here that work great I would love your input.

Please help me with your honest reviews, this is my last hope I cannot keep not losing weight it is destroying all aspects of my life and I know that I am a skinny person inside. Its time to be one on the outside.
Thanks

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with those products. If you are looking at diet pills sold on the internet without a prescription be VERY wary of what you are getting. If I were to try a pill it would be one prescribed by my doctor. Sometimes if you call different pharmacies you can get better prices on prescriptions that your insurance won't cover. You can also call your insurance company and see if there are any weight loss drugs they do cover. I just don't trust the stuff sold on the internet, God only knows WHAT they are putting in those things.

Good Luck!
  • foxsmommy
    foxsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am so skeptical of all the crap they try to sell you online to lose weight fast. I have tried so many things and wasted so much money thats why I am trying to see what REAL people have had success or no success with. seems to be my best approach.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Would you consider making your diary public so people could give you feedback on that first? Taking weight loss pills really isn't a sustainable option in the long run, in my opinion. I notice you just joined MFP in July of this year - maybe it would be better to give it a bit more time before going to a fairly drastic (again, just in my opinion) option? I wish you health, happiness and contentment!
  • losergirl78
    Options
    I assume that your doctor checked your thyroid and for diabetes before suggesting a weight loss pill. I was/am having the same trouble. My doctor checked my blood sugar levels and found that I am borderline diabetic. I thought that caused weight loss, but with my research I found not being able to lose weight can be a symptom as well. I am on medication and I have cut back (not out) on carbs since they are turned into sugar and weight has slowly started to come off.

As far as the over the counter stuff I have tried just about everything out there and nothing has ever worked for me. If you do try something I would stay away from Phenphedrine, I have heard it is dangerous, part of the Phen Phen family. A friend I work out with has been taking Herbalife and she has dropped 47 pounds in just under four months, I have never taken it myself. However, she works out more than I do and has an even more strict diet than me, but she swears by the stuff.

Keep up the hard work, and don't give up, what ever you decide. You are doing the right thing for yourself, and I'm sure you'll start seeing results!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Agree with MzBuz. If you can not afford what the doctor prescribed, please just don't substitute for cheap and unknow versions sold thru the internet.
    You can try Green Tea tablets that speed up your metabolism in a more natural way. My doctor told me that it was OK to take them and they give no side effects. You can go to the local drug store and get a small package and see if they work for you.

Maybe you can ask your doctor to check your thyroid to see if it is working correctly. It could also be the reason for a slow metabolism.

You can also try to change your workout. Increase your cardio exercises and do different things and change them often. If you can afford it, a trainer for few session could help you in that department.

Please don't give up, keep posting, and keep working toward a healthy you. Good luck!
  • princessmedic
    Options
    You could probably get a better price at someplace like Sam's Club Pharmacy (you don't need a membership to use their pharmacy)...I know that I got price quotes of $90 on one thing from Walgreens, and then when I called Sam's it was less than $7! Really insane. Also, if you are getting your medicine from a pharmacy-ask the pharmacist. They will usually help you by telling you how each one is different and how they can affect you, or tell you which over the counter is most like the one your doctor prescribed. I have tried a million and one weight loss supplements, and none seemed to stick. They all seemed like you had to take 3 at a time, or have side effects that make me feel yucky. The one thing I did have luck with is Alli. It used to be prescription only and now is over the counter...just a little pricey. It doesn't boost metabolism, but it does block fat absorption. Hope this helps!
  • foxsmommy
    Options
    I appreciate where you are coming from. Though I did just join in July I have been on this journey for almost 3 years since I had my son. I just found out that the Birth Control they had me on was putting so much of the hormone into my body each day that it not only put on the weight but made it next to impossible to take off. I have now swithced bc and am on a low dose pill. My mood has improved but that is why my dr. wants to put me on a metabo booster because the extreme over exposure to the hormone has done major damage to my metabolism.. : (
  • foxsmommy
    Options
    I do have Thyroid problems it kind of runs in my family. Dr. says it may play a part in my poor metabo but doesnt want to put me on meds for it until she thinks i really need to be( when i am older and it poses more of an issue than some xtra pounds )
    Thanks for everyones input it really helps
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's good you're working with your doctor about it :) I would be inclined to wait and see if your body adjusts itself now that you're off that other pill, but that's just me. It sounds like you're doing a lot of research yourself into the matter, which is great!
  • Katie0429
    Options
    I would talk to your local pharmacist, or even the nutrition experts at the health food store. But, if it were me, I would let my MD know what I was taking and let him/her OK it. I know someone who almost died from OTC diet pills, so I would be careful. Your comments make you seem like a smart lady, so I think you should be OK. I wish you all the best. :)
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you tried boosting your exercise? I know for me, I can eat right till the cows come home, but if Im not exercising enough, my weight wont budge. Just a thought. I too, am leary of any weight loss pills. Give yourself a month. Really watch/count calories, keep track of everything you put in your mouth, up the water intake and up the exercise, and I will bet, you will lose! try it.
  • DawnMichelle68
    DawnMichelle68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think maybe go through and find members profiles with big weight loss and view the food diary... get a feel for how many calories are left over.. what kinds of foods are eaten.. processed foods or more whole, natural foods.. you will probably find the members with more processed foods don't have the greater weight loss' .. just one way of getting a feel for what you can do that is working for others... I think a pill should be a very very very last resort.. who knows how these pills will effect your organs... and what may result from it...

just my thoughts on the subject:flowerforyou:
  • nolasaints
    nolasaints Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your TSH level is? If it's too high or too low it can cause many more problems than just weight. Maybe get a second opinion if your doctor doesn't want to put you on meds for the thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May and in just the first month of being on meds I lost ten pounds. Now it's coming off a lot slower, but my energy level is so much higher now and I'm able to exercise more. Good luck! :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we have a great apothecary here that has a number of herbs, both culinary and medicinal. Have you considered talking with a naturalist to see if there are any herbal teas you could try that may help? Usually weight gain/ loss can be a side effect of other toxins in the body wreaking havoc - i recognize you're working with your doctor, so that's a good step.

I know there are herbs that help clean the blood, liver, kidneys, etc. of course you should talk with your doctor about it, but it might be a way to ward off synthetic drugs in lieu of something a bit less invasive on the body like natural teas and tonics.

Good luck!! Keep us posted on what works!
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Some more details would be helpful. I'm a bit concerned that your doctor would rather put you on weight loss pills than treat an underactive thyroid.
    Here in the UK the only prescribable weight loss pill is Alli (although at a higher dose than the over the counter drug) all the others have been withdrawn as the risks outweight the benefits. Some doctors prescribe them in private clinics but it's considered a bit of a dodgy practice.
    Have you considered repeatin gthe thyroid test, including thyroid antibodies and getting a second opinion? Telling you your BC wrecked yoru mtabolism and you need a pill to boost it reeks of quackery to me. (COI: I am a GP in the UK)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken diet pills, so I can't be much help, but I do know Phenphedrine was banned in the uk more than 10 years ago because it was causing sudden deaths.....that would be more than enough to stop me for even thinking about taking it. Stay safe x
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Some more details would be helpful. I'm a bit concerned that your doctor would rather put you on weight loss pills than treat an underactive thyroid.
    Here in the UK the only prescribable weight loss pill is Alli (although at a higher dose than the over the counter drug) all the others have been withdrawn as the risks outweight the benefits. Some doctors prescribe them in private clinics but it's considered a bit of a dodgy practice.
    Have you considered repeatin gthe thyroid test, including thyroid antibodies and getting a second opinion? Telling you your BC wrecked yoru mtabolism and you need a pill to boost it reeks of quackery to me. (COI: I am a GP in the UK)

I totally agree with the above (US doc here). Thyroid medication is safe and more effective than the average diet pill. I have also never heard of a BC wrecking the metabolism.

I would get my thyroid treated, and consider rehauling your diet/exercise plan (measure your amounts, cut out processed foods, eat enough calories, add strength training, etc.), rule out food intolerances, etc before I would try the diet ills if I were you

I do think green tea and HOT ROX work well, I used to take HOT ROX before my workouts and I think it worked but I got addicted to caffeine so I cut it out
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    First, please define what "little to no weight" means. I've been talking to dieters long enough to know that a lot of people think a pound a week is "little to no weight." Maybe your problem isn't that your metabolism isn't good but that your expectations are off.

How much do you have to lose? What are you averaging (even with gains, your AVERAGE weight loss over a period of time is what counts)? Are you taking your measurements to be sure that even if your losses are slow, you aren't losing inches? How do your clothes feel?
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'll second what RML
    .I think you may realize what a bunch of snake oil diet pills are and are just looking for some validation.
    You may need to revamp your menu to accomodate your crazy workouts.
    You may have less to lose, therefore it will come off slower.
    You may not realize that healthy & sustainable losses are better for you in the long run.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'll also add that a diet pill may help you eat less, so you'll lose weight. But it isn't going to fix your metabolism. You can't stay on a diet pill forever, so what will you do when you lose the weight and go off of it?

Your metabolism will probably be worse than when you started because you'll have deprived your body of what it needs for so long.

Your doctor needs to treat your thyroid and be done with it.