Vitamin Recommendations

Options
What does everyone take? Any recommendations? I am currently taking GNC women's ultra mega® energy and metabolism, one in the morning and one in the evening.

Replies

• pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear everyone's vitamin recommendations too. I don't take anything right now, but I just ordered some vitamin D so I can start taking that again.
  • carol5047
    carol5047 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take Juice Plus "Garden Blend" and "Orchard Blend". I have been taking it for a year and have not been sick once during that time.

:smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The more I learn about vitamins, the less I'm inclined to take any.

Most women would benefit from a calcium+D supplement. That's really about it. The rest is going to be more or less a waste of money.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    According to Dr Oz, I need to take all of these.

vitamins2.jpg

I can't afford that, so I just eat extra fruits and veggies.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I take a Nature's Made multi complete vitamin with dinner based on recommendations that I take a multi-vitamin. I figure a multi helps to even out days when I may be nutritionally light in some area especially while on a 2lb per week deficit.
  • mdubs76
    mdubs76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Flintstones Chewables. I take 2 a day. No joke. :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    None, if a lab report says I'm not lacking I won't take any.

*http://gettingstronger.org/2013/08/the-case-against-nutritional-supplements/
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    cheapest multivit and omega 3 oil that i can find in the supermarket.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Vegetables
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I take the MyTrition Women's Sport packs and take extra VitD since I have a horrible time absorbing it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    prenatals and iron
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    According to Dr Oz, I need to take all of these.

vitamins2.jpg

I can't afford that, so I just eat extra fruits and veggies.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I have trouble getting in enough calcium, so I take a supplement for that. A dietician once suggested that the calcium chews are absorbed better than pills.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended a multivitamin, fish oil, and resveratrol so that is what I take.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I take Mag glycinate, my chiropractor recommended, because I kept getting a ton of knots in my shoulders when I lifted, I also take glucosamine and chondroitin because my joints are that of an 80yo woman, and a prenatal vitamin. Not prego, just take them most days. I might take iron and potassium sometimes too, because I don't typically get enough of them, and I was having issues with my hemoglobin being low. Probably have some slight anemia.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Most women would benefit from a calcium+D supplement. That's really about it. The rest is going to be more or less a waste of money.

Everyone can benefit from calcium and vitamin D supplements.

OP: I take a lot of vitamins but the main ones are calcium, vitamin D, a multi vitamin with niacin, Omega3, Coq10, low dose aspirin. I also get my blood work done yearly and adjust accordingly.

The key with vitamins is making sure there's not a lot of crappy fillers in them. A lot of the ones you find at the grocery store have unnecessary crap added to them which can upset your stomach. Go to a health food store if you want good quality vitamins. Yes, they will cost more but they'll have what you need. Also be aware that there are fat soluble and water soluble vitamins. Things like fish oil and omega3 are fat soluble and need to be taken with food.

While you can get most nutrients from your food there are a lot that you can't get from it and/or you would have to eat it in very large quantities. Not everyone's diet is perfect so supplementing with vitamins isn't a bad thing. Besides, whatever your body doesn't use will pass through you any way.
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetables and fruit..
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The more I learn about vitamins, the less I'm inclined to take any.

I agree with this. However, my doctor ordered me to take a multivitamin because one of my prescription meds can block absorption. I just take a plain ol' Centrum.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like the gummy ones ! That way I take em !
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I take iron, zinc and a b complex. Also just bought a vit d for the winter. No vit d from the sun here in England :D