Paleo and Peanut Butter?

Options
reading about Paleo... thought on this diet? also thoughts on it stating Peanut Butter is 'bad' even organic all-natural?

Replies

• CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for a while and I LOVED it. But I still managed to consume some wild rice and peanut butter every once in a while. I say go for the 80/20 which is relatively close in theory to IIFYM (sort of but not really) Peanut butter is amazing and beans / legumes are something I could never give up.

Paleo is really great to do, I liked it....but it can be a bit expensive trying to buy grassfed all the time.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    reading about Paleo... thought on this diet? also thoughts on it stating Peanut Butter is 'bad' even organic all-natural?

It's a fad diet that arbitrarily demonizes certain foods
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

i kind of agree with this. I did it for a while, but the whole being against grains / beans / peanuts was kind of ridiculous to me which is why I changed to IIFYM. There are some great paleo recipes out there....just avoid any of the cauliflower substitutes blech
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

i kind of agree with this. I did it for a while, but the whole being against grains / beans / peanuts was kind of ridiculous to me which is why I changed to IIFYM. There are some great paleo recipes out there....just avoid any of the cauliflower substitutes blech

They love to use the sound sound logic that if certain things are bad for some, then everyone should avoid it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I find it KIND of useful.

But I definitely fall into the paleo-ish- paleo ish meaning- I cook most of my own foods and I don't eat a lot of carbs (yes I understand that is not the heart of paleo diet- BUT that's pretty much how they eat LOL)... some people do it for moral/ethical reasons... fine whatever. But keep in mind- paleo isn't technically a weight loss diet. Sure it can be- but that's not really what it is.

but I have no issue with specific foods- I don't find them good or bad- I just prefer to eat that way- i do eat chocolate and ice cream... and peanut butter.

except corn.

I have an issue with corn because I feel bad for it. it's not really a food any more- it's just there. it can't reproduce on it's own- it's a genetic freak. it makes me sad- and I love corn- but there is no point to eat it other than it's delicious. LOL

My biggest proglem with paleo is the paleo police. ZOMG THAT"S NOT PALEO.

EFF YOU.

Fake red velvet almond meal with yogurt frosting ISN"T dessert- and it sure as chit isn't red velvet cake.

Just eat the red velvet cake and get on with your life.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think the diet is healthy, but ridiculously restrictive. And all that noise about legumes being unhealthy is nothing short of utter nonsense.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    the first time i did paleo i felt great and dropped 18 pounds without exercise.

the second time I did paleo I got incredibly sick and was out on disability for 2 months with pain issues (plus i'm on different meds now, had a lot of stress going on, so it could have been a combination of everything...)

Peanuts are technically a legume, and legume's are no no on paleo, that's why. NO PEANUTS, almonds are acceptable though, cashews in small amounts, etc.

I did have 6 weeks of paleo under me the second time when I switched to gluten free, and that seemed to solve all my issues, and isn't as restrictive, and my digestion issues of 6 months have vanished. I tested negative for Celiac's, so they think it's just an intolerance.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Might I interest you in IIFIYM? Its an alternative to Paleo.. and you can eat peanut butter.
  • GetStrongGetLeanInMD
    Options
    anyone have a link to what IIFIYM is all about? Whats a good source of info?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    anyone have a link to what IIFIYM is all about? Whats a good source of info?

http://iifym.com/what-is-iifym/

Its incredibly easy. No restrictions. Once you meet your nutritional goals, feel free to have a poptart. A lot of people think it means we eat "junkfood" all day long - not so. I would say I eat 75% 'clean' (whatever that means), but there are no bonus points for being extra nutritious.

this is also a good source of info
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    erm, corn reproduces. the corn kernels are the seeds. when the ear dries, the seeds fall out. then they grow.
    you must be referring to a certain sort of GMO corn.
    I like your back.
  • GetStrongGetLeanInMD
    Options
    Thanks All! I cant give up PB so Paleo is not for me. I do like the snack idea though so I printed out a list of the top 75 paleo snacks. I think I will continue a South Beach-ish/Mediterranean thing.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The problem people have with misunderstanding Paleo/Primal is that it's an individual journey, like all lifestyles. If you really love peanut butter, have some once in a while - just do it with the understanding that it's not the healthiest option. Obviously an organic, all natural version is preferable to the highly processed ones as well.

All lifestyle and diet choices should be about choosing what's better, not necessarily the best. Don't just cut out food groups because someone said so - do the research to find out why it's good or bad, and then try it out on yourself. Many Paleo/Primal gurus suggest doing an elimination style diet - 21+ days of not eating that food/food group at all, and then slowly reintroduce it. If you don't have any issues, feel free to indulge (in moderation when it comes to the things that shouldn't form the bulk of a healthy diet of course). It's no different any "diet" or lifestyle - if you want ice cream, a cookie, a piece of cake, whatever, have it, enjoy it, and move on; so long as the bulk of your life is spent eating natural good healthy foods we were meant to eat, then a few indulgences for things that aren't so great won't be a big deal. It's when your whole diet is those foods that problems happen.

As for those who say it's a fad diet or eliminates food groups randomly and for no reason, take a look at the actual science. Try marksdailyapple.com - Mark does a great job of explaining the science behind why some of these foods aren't so good for us, especially in his definitive guides. Try to really understand something before casting judgment please.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    erm, corn reproduces. the corn kernels are the seeds. when the ear dries, the seeds fall out. then they grow.
    you must be referring to a certain sort of GMO corn.
    I like your back.

Domestic corn is very frequently stated to be incapable of reproducing itself in the wild to any great extent. This is not only due to the tight husks, but also because the kernels adhere strongly to the ear and do not easily dis-articulate. Whether or not domestic corn might not occasionally reproduce in the wild, it is very poorly suited to disperse its seeds.

IIRC, the Scientific American article that traced he evolution of corn as a staple crop in the south USA/Mexico area mentioned that it could not grow in the wild.

Corn as we know it is entirely the product of human intervention.

That being said- I still totally eat it. A few times a year.

Thanks :) spend lots of time working on it- so hoping it's only going to get better!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

As for those who say it's a fad diet or eliminates food groups randomly and for no reason, take a look at the actual science. Try marksdailyapple.com - Mark does a great job of explaining the science behind why some of these foods aren't so good for us, especially in his definitive guides. Try to really understand something before casting judgment please.

The bolded portions do not go together. "For actual science, check out this blog"
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Might I interest you in IIFIYM? Its an alternative to Paleo.. and you can eat peanut butter.

We have cookies (and ice cream).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    any diet that's based on the supposed eating habits of people that lived to an average age of 32 can't be all bad, right?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    any diet that's based on the supposed eating habits of people that lived to an average age of 32 can't be all bad, right?

I'd love to eat bugs and grub for dinner- totally.

said no one ever.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Paleo is arbitrary there is no doubt. It's not based upon any sound science. Feel free to correct me without pointing me to a paleo blog that that cherry picks studies.

What I would like to know is why they demonize the nightshade family and legumes. Without those plants, I'd hardly eat any veg.
    Arbitrary rules are arbitrary.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do a diet that eliminates any foods this time around. So I don't do paleo. But then I heard that paleo is pretty flexible and lets you customize for your special needs and what works for you. So I now do my version "Paleo-Slim-Fast" diet. I love it. Peanut butter is allowed and so are pop tarts. then i throw in some slim fasts for bkfst and lunch and a sensible Paleo dinner in front of the hubby and I'm all set.