Mashed Cauliflower

Options
sbusarah
sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
I love mashed cauliflower, but have never made it before. I have no clue how to make it. Would love to get directions from someone!

Thanks!

Replies

• amenmax
    amenmax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi : I just joined this today so I can give much details yet, but I can tell you how I make mashed cauliflower. It is easy just steam the cauliflower until tender then mash like you would potatoes then I add a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese(only 35 calories) it is really good.
  • princessmedic
    Options
    I buy the frozen cauliflower florets and steam them in the bag. Then I add just a little chicken broth or water...laughing cow wedge...can add a spoon of fat free sour cream. Season it up and mash it! My kids didn't even guess it was cauliflower.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    steamed fresh cauliflower and then mash. I like a little low fat milk and fresh garlic in mine, but the laughing cow cheese sounds good too!
  • biodeb
    biodeb Posts: 19
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower!! :love: A great alternative for mashed potatoes (but that's not to say I don't eat mashed potatoes anymore - I still do).

Steam, add a little milk and/or cheese along with whatever herbs you like best. So yummy.
  • sbusarah
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone!
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this ....I am going to try it also. More vegies is always a great thing.
  • Koreapsu
    Options
    If you want that restaurant style taste you need to boil the cauli in milk.

I own a restaurant and cauli puree is under our chicken breast at the moment :)
  • sbusarah
    Options
    If you want that restaurant style taste you need to boil the cauli in milk.

I own a restaurant and cauli puree is under our chicken breast at the moment :)

Thanks! We can definitely use your help around here. How much milk should I use? I plan on using almond milk. I don't like mashed potatoes without loads of gravy but dig cauli so I am not familiar with how much is used in mashed potatoes...
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump:bigsmile:
  • EliseMarie24
    EliseMarie24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • baybay73
    Options
    I steam fresh garlic with mine and it tastes like garlic mashed potatoes... MMmmm!
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    these sound delish

will give these a try for sure
    x
  • FatTrevor
    Options
    Cook the cauliflower for 25 mins and then mash it. Glad to be of help.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    If you want the cauli mash to be really smooth it helps to use a food processor. I just add a little milk and butter (or margarine) or sour cream or cream cheese. And I like to use Laughing Cow too.

Sometimes we have twice-baked. Then I don't usually use the processor, just mash it up leaving some small chunks. Mix in light sour cream, shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese, bake it in a sprayed casserole, topping it with chopped chives or green onions, and some minced ham or bacon bits and more cheese. (I often add a beaten egg to stiffen it up, more like real spuds).

Good idea to cook the cauli in milk - I'll have to try that!
  • Gina1607
    Options
    Bump!! :)
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    so i tried this last night. it was a total bust. nobody liked it. hubby wanted to know what the point is - we all like cauliflower, so why not just eat it whole instead of turning it into baby food. i'm pretty sure I added a tad too much liquid and it was probably not the right consistency, but that will be the last time I try to make it for my family. I got bashed throughout the entire dinner for it!!!

so now I have a bunch of pureed cauliflower - any ideas on how to "sneak" it into something??? i don't want to waste it!
  • amzelda
    Options
    so i tried this last night. it was a total bust. nobody liked it. hubby wanted to know what the point is - we all like cauliflower, so why not just eat it whole instead of turning it into baby food. i'm pretty sure I added a tad too much liquid and it was probably not the right consistency, but that will be the last time I try to make it for my family. I got bashed throughout the entire dinner for it!!!

so now I have a bunch of pureed cauliflower - any ideas on how to "sneak" it into something??? i don't want to waste it!

You can use it as a base for a soup...add some broth and veggies or some type of meat. You could also put it into a lasagna instead of ricotta cheese.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    IME, you must MUST must!! dry the cauliflower completely out before adding any other liquid or mashing it....otherwise it becomes too mushy