Abs daily or not?

Options
I grew up reading Muscle and Fitness and other mags about bodybuilders like that, back then all the bodybuilders worked their abs daily, or six days a week.

With what I know, muscles need rest, how often are you guys working your abs?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week for 10 minutes with planks. I get most of my work from compound exercises.

For most people in general, it really isn't necessary to do anything else but diet if your doing compounds.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I rarely do ab work- mostly on a whim. I do it usually around the same time I feel like I need a bro curl day.

so maybe once a month? every 3 weeks?

otherwise- no- i don't do abs- much less do them daily. that's ridiculous.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    There's a common belief that you can train abs (and calves) everyday. I have made that claim. And maybe there's some science behind, but I was only parroting what others told me. And so I am not as certain.

Now what I've come to believe based on some additional reading is that if one is doing isolated ab exercises and working them to muscle failure/overload, then you'll likely need some rest/recovery like your other muscles. But if you're ab work is to just stimulate with very mild overload/failure (there's a term for it, but I can't remember it at the moment), then you can probably do them more frequently (not sure about daily though).

Just be aware as to see if too much ab work is compromising other exercises, like squats and overhead presses (to name a couple).

I usually hit the abs on my squats and deadlifts days, one exercise for four sets to very near failure, at the end of the workout.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I work my abs every other day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't do a ton of direct ab work...just some moderate core type of stuff on my non-lifting days, nothing to intense. Most of my ab work is indirect as a result of my compound lifts...primarily squats and deads.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You should never work any muscle everyday. Muscles need time to recover, and when they recover is when they grow, not when you're working them.

In addition to the Compound Lifting I do, I try to hit abs x2 a week for usually 15 minutes or so.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I rarely to never do isolated ab work.

They get worked through my compound stuff.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've seen people struggle to get ripped abs, they never would show through until they got their act together in the kitchen to shed the fat. You can work your abs until you are blue in the face but it won't matter if your BF isn't low enough to see em.

Now I'm still working on mine of course :) But I firmly believe in the saying "Abs are made in the kitchen"
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Abs and core everyday, but like stated above you will not see them unless you do work in the kitchen
  • elkahallick
    Options
    You should never work any muscle everyday. Muscles need time to recover, and when they recover is when they grow, not when you're working them.

In addition to the Compound Lifting I do, I try to hit abs x2 a week for usually 15 minutes or so.

I am saying BS... There is no such thing as over training in my book, rest when you NEED rest don't just rest because its a certain day... I have done legs 3x a week for the last few months and you know what? My power numbers have gone up!

Curious.... how do your abs look?
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

My abs look pretty good and all I do is compound lifts. I've literally never done sit-ups seriously in my life.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Abs and core everyday, but like stated above you will not see them unless you do work in the kitchen

I would listen to that advice since it seems to be working good (nice abs man), but do you think that is also good for a beginner like me elka?
  • elkahallick
    Options

My abs look pretty good and all I do is compound lifts. I've literally never done sit-ups seriously in my life.

No offense, but your abs don't look that great, flat and no definition, they are just there cause you are skinny...
  • elkahallick
    Options

I would listen to that advice since it seems to be working good (nice abs man), but do you think that is also good for a beginner like me elka?

No better time then the present.... If you have the energy at the end of your workouts do something core or ab related.... It will help your squats, bench, deadlift and other power moves...
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

No offense, but your abs don't look that great, flat and no definition, they are just there cause you are skinny...

Your girlfriend disagrees :) Nah but seriously, you're entitled to your opinion. It's pretty clear we're into fitness for different reasons. Aesthetics and getting huge are not a priority for me.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    chill guys
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

Your girlfriend disagrees :) Nah but seriously, you're entitled to your opinion. It's pretty clear we're into fitness for different reasons. Aesthetics and getting huge are not a priority for me.

If you didn't look 17 I would threaten to slap the **** out of you for saying that... For me it is all around fitness, I am not a meat head by all means like you've hinted that I may be, I will run a mud run, do a 5k, play sand volleyball or run with the basketball team I coach, but yeah maybe or reasons are different, I workout cause I enjoy it and like pushing my body while living healthy and its just a bonus if people can tell because my aesthetics , you probably just sign up at the gym for the free t shirt and water bottle....

If you threatened to slap the **** out of me, I'd laugh really hard. I would choke you out in 30 seconds flat. Lifting weights just makes you feel tough, brotha. It doesn't actually make you tough. It makes you strong. There's a difference.
    Anyway, I wish you the best on your journey and hope you lighten up.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Woah. This thread took a Pulp Fiction turn. . . .
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Becuase I am working towards specific moves that involve ridiculous core strength, I do core stuff 4-5 days a week.
    If you aren't going to failure you could easily do them daily if you wanted.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I am saying BS... There is no such thing as over training in my book, rest when you NEED rest don't just rest because its a certain day... I have done legs 3x a week for the last few months and you know what? My power numbers have gone up!

3 days in a row?

Damn good