Running without a trainer?

Options
Hi there! I'm using an app on my iPhone similar to C25k to train to run a 5k in December. I know that for shorter distances like the 5k, you can train yourself to run that distance in a few months and you don't necessarily need anything fancy like a personal trainer. But what about when I want to run a half or full marathon? I'm not trying to think too far ahead, but I know I want to eventually run a marathon after having worked my way through several 5k, 10k, and half marathon races. Would I need a personal trainer to accomplish these goals, or is it possible to keep doing it on my own with apps and online research? I'd love to hear from more advanced runners and see how you got to where you are. :)

Replies

• Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm using an app on my iPhone similar to C25k to train to run a 5k in December. I know that for shorter distances like the 5k, you can train yourself to run that distance in a few months and you don't necessarily need anything fancy like a personal trainer. But what about when I want to run a half or full marathon? I'm not trying to think too far ahead, but I know I want to eventually run a marathon after having worked my way through several 5k, 10k, and half marathon races. Would I need a personal trainer to accomplish these goals, or is it possible to keep doing it on my own with apps and online research? I'd love to hear from more advanced runners and see how you got to where you are. :)

Google "Hal Higdon training plans." No trainer necessary. Good luck! :)
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Please forgive my presumption in responding to this post as I am a swimmer and not a runner. But, I have friends who are hard core competitors.

Some of them train with a group with great success. Check for a meetup or with a nearby sports equipment or athletic shoe store for groups who may be doing the same training as you are! Good luck.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Loads of people run without a trainer.

But I second the idea to look out local running groups.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, you don't necessarily need a trainer...there are plenty of training programs out there that you can do on your own. It is helpful though to train with a group...you push harder and you also learn a lot. I train primarily on my own, but when triathlon season rolls around, I will be training with my tri-group a couple of times per week. It also helps in that you can surround yourself with more experienced individuals who can give you pointers and what not.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    You will not need a personal trainer for a half, I am proof of that. I just started running in June, where I couldn't do one mile without stopping and this past Sunday I finished my first Half Marathon. You only need to work your way up incrementally once a week for a 'long run'.

Basic strategies through Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway (google them) can have you get a good idea of what you want to do to be ready.

Granted, my goal was finishing, not finishing near the top, or in the 50% range, but ... worked for me.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

i ran my first half in june and didn't have a trainer. maybe for a full because the dedication/training is more intense. i would stick with whatever apps you have to help you train.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started running in January. I have my first half in 5 weeks. I've run 5k's and a 10k (loved it!). No trainer for me. You don't need a trainer...google the people already suggested for excellent training programs. It's mostly about slowly adding longer runs into your routine.

Joining a running group may help-great tips, experience, and support, but it's still a personal preference.

Now, if you ever want to compete, you may want a trainer, but, otherwise, you're already on the right track!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I ran my first full mararthon in August (I started in January from a complete non runner) and didn't need a trainer.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Lots of different approaches and it comes down to what fits your style. I have done it without a trainer but have enjoyed connecting with other runners to break up the monotony. Also, there is a long distance running group on here that is a great support forum with great advice.

I would recommend investing in a nice pair of shoes at a running store where they examine your gait. Worth the investment.

Good luck.