Does anyone OVER estimate what they eat?

Options
If I'm logging homemade food (or anything that doesn't have a barcode), I overestimate in my logs because I know I'll tend to go "Well, that wasn't quite a serving of mashed potatoes, so I can still eat a bunch of chips after dinner." By overestimating on things I'm sure I'm mentally underestimating, I'm trying to keep a more accurate account of what I'm eating.

So my one omelet I have for breakfast becomes 1.15, because I add a bit more ham than what it should be (according to my excel spreadsheet I use to figure out calories per serving for homemade things). The homemade muffins? I actually under estimate with those because according to the box, it's 210 for 12 servings (per serving, so each box makes 12) whereas I make 18 out of a box.

Anyone else do this for their log?

Replies

• JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I overestimate on small things but the bigger things I weigh. can't really go wrong with weighing your food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's why I weigh. If I have to estimate something, because I ate out, or my scale turned off after I put the cream cheese on the bagel (like this morning... bleh), I'll overestimate a bit.

Muffins and stuff I just divide by 12 and won't bother weighing each muffin. Why can't you divide by 18 if you're making 18?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do.

I over estimate food- either volumes or stuff that isn't getting weighed at all and under estimate workouts.

safer that way.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I just try to be as accurate as possible. Overestimating too much can be almost as damaging as underestimating.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yup. I add a 20% factor of safety on everything I have to estimate; If I think that piece of meat is 8 oz, I log it at 9.6 oz. Of course, at my weight, going under isn't going to hurt me.

As others have said, I'd much rather weigh everything.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I overestimate recipe servings. I'll set a recipe as 4 servings but actually get 7 or 8 servings from it. This is because I'm too lazy to weigh the total recipe, then portion it out, then weigh each portion or the remainder in the pot, etc. I figure it's better to set a larger portion size to leave some wiggle room since I serve homemade stuff by eyeballing.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If I have to estimate a portion, I always inflate my first guess by a percentage based on how big a WAG it is. If I have to guess portion size AND pick the closest match out of the database, I may even double it.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I always try to overestimate, but I wouldn't be surprised if my overestimation is actually underestimated... But so far, it seems to be working for me.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I enter the recipes and divide by the number of servings and try to measure as accurately as possible. When I start 'fudging' the numbers I'm more apt to cheat them so I try to just put them in as close as I can.
  • JustinePalin
    Options
    I don't overestimate what I eat, but I do knock off about 100-200 calories that my hrm says, depending on what I'm doing.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This week has been a great teacher. Last weekend I strained a back muscle and any exercise has been out of the question so - no calories to eat back.

I have eaten my calculated TDEE calories but with no exercise calories to eat back I have been losing around 0.5lbs every day this week.

So I conclude that I overestimate how many calories I am burning in exercise and possibly have food calories about right; possibly even slightly under what they should be.

I'll be eating back half of my exercise calories when I am able to work out again to address the balance.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I thought I was getting things pretty accurate.. but I was over by a lot! Once I started weighing things I get to eat more now.. and i'm much much happier :)
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do and it doesn't work. There's so many variances in calories, especially on here. Like, how many calories is 1/2 of browned hamburger. Does anyone know?????? Lol it makes me crazy sometimes, but I just try to do my best.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I over estimate only when I eat what I didn't cook, because I can't really know what goes in. And most day I eat at cafeterias with my coworkers.

I don't over estimate at home. I don't see the point. I log the ingredients myself. I don't log omelette, I log the eggs and each ingredient separate. And I make every recipies using the tools MFP gives me.

Why search omelette on MFP and over estimate, when I can log 2 eggs, 35 g of bacon and 35 g of cheese?
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I have to estimate a portion, I always inflate my first guess by a percentage based on how big a WAG it is. If I have to guess portion size AND pick the closest match out of the database, I may even double it.

What is a WAG?
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options

What is a WAG?

Wild A** Guess
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I almost never do, because I feel for me it would be the foot in the door for cheating myself. I measure everything or weigh it and log accordingly. However if for example a piece of chicken breast is 95 grs, I still log 100grs, because it's easier. But I won't allow myself to eat something extra because of the five grs difference.
    Due to age and height I eat 1200 calories a day and make each and every calorie count. That goes in both directions, because I neither want to under eat, nor do I have a big margin for careless or inaccurate logging.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If it's something like a casserole that I can cut into exactly 6 (or however many it serves) no. But if it's a heaping skillet full of some kind of concoction that you just take scoops of I usually over estimate how many calories I'm getting. Otherwise, I'll measure out my portions of meat, veggies, etc. so they're close to exact
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, since I don't weigh or measure anything, I'm sure I do. No doubt I sometimes over estimate and sometimes under estimate, though I don't do either purposely. But since I lost and maintained the loss, I guess it all evens out in the in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do and it doesn't work. There's so many variances in calories, especially on here. Like, how many calories is 1/2 of browned hamburger. Does anyone know?????? Lol it makes me crazy sometimes, but I just try to do my best.

Pretty much everything in the data base can be done by weight...you're just not looking things up correctly. Just look up whatever % your ground beef is....i.e. "80/20 ground beef USDA"...the browning of said beef is not going to substantially alter the calorie content.