Veggie Ideas - need some new ones

Options
124»

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    love eggs but what's a courgette? time to google :)
    Someone probably already answered, but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now. Courgettes are zucchini.

Was just over at a friend's who had very finely chopped and steamed broccolli (not pureed, but pieces about the size of short rice). It made a good side or topping for her spaghetti and tomato sauce. Don't have the recipe yet. :-(

ETA, Cauliflower is great cut up and steamed or boiled until about 1/2 done (however crisp or mushy you like) and then cook the rest of the time in a pot in a curry sauce. Have tried with a few different prepared curries and liked.
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggplant? I tried a recipe the other day... cut in thin slices, spread mayo (I used Miracle Whip Lite) on both sides and bread crumbs... baked in oven... really tasty!
  • girlwithdog13
    Options
    I echo the recommendations for roasted anything. Recently saw a recipe for roasted radishes, which sounds interesting.

Rutabaga - awesome roasted. I like to throw carrots, a turnip, rutabaga, onion and a sweet potato in a 9x13. Mix in some olive oil and garlic. Put a chicken on top. Roast at about an hour at 350. Yum. Dinner for the week.

Kholrabi - just tried this yesterday. It was served to me raw, which I hear is the popular way to enjoy it. Peel it and slice into french-fry style pieces, or even thinner (julienned) which would be good mixed with rice wine vinegar and a bit of toasted sesame seeds, maybe with some carrots. Good on it's own as well.
  • Heatherbell14
    Options
    We had Portabella Pizzas last night and I wish I had bought more so I could make it again tonight!!!

1 portabella cap
    1-2 Tbsp spaghetti sauce
    Cheese
    Toppings (we did pepperoni, olives, and bell peppers)

Cook until the cheese is golden brown. SO. DANG. TASTY

This is a such a great idea, THANKS!! Thursday is always pizza night for my kids & it's always torture for me not to grab a slice.
    Now I can use this as a healthy substitue for everyone. Awesome!
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For something a bit different, I love to sautee fresh garlic in a bit of olive oil. Then I add sundried tomatoes. Mix them all about until they are nice and plump from the olive oil and garlic, them throw in a handfull of spinach to wilt it. Very yummy!
  • carrotsaregood
    carrotsaregood Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas are great. Try them sauted, roasted, or steamed. Can be cooked just like green beans or peas.
  • somewhat345
    Options
    Asparagus drizzle with Cavendar's Greek Seasoning...I roast them to the point you think they are over done...but taste like French fries. I use them in place of fries and a late night snack. My family is now eating and we can't keep them in the house!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love to roast/grill a bunch of veggies - colored sweet peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. Just season lightly and toss with a little olive oil and cook until tender & lightly browned. You can use them in sandwiches or wraps, serve with rice, pasta or quinoa, on top of salads, in omelets, etc. After a few days if we don't eat them all, they go into a soup.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    All veggies cut up to a same size
    Use steamer basket

Cut up:
    * baby eggplant
    * carrots
    * baby portabella mushrooms
    * zucchini squash

Mix and steam 5 minutes. Once done, hit it with szechuan spice and 2 teaspoons of soy sauce.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Ameythist
    Ameythist Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sides:

Chop up a green pepper, a red pepper, 1 cup of broccoli, 1/2 cup of onion, and toss with kraft light zesty italian dressing (about 4tbsp) add a little salt and pepper and it is the easiest tastiest side. Makes 2 (large) serving with only around 90cals each. Very filling!
  • cargriff7
    cargriff7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump. saving for recipes!