Does anyone OVER estimate what they eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I have to estimate a portion, I always inflate my first guess by a percentage based on how big a WAG it is. If I have to guess portion size AND pick the closest match out of the database, I may even double it.

What is a WAG?

Wild A** Guess

Lol I was way over-thinking that
  • nmpoli
    nmpoli Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always overestimate... and try to underestimate workouts. I think overestimating is the lesser of two evils.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I always over estimate because i like to drink a few beers more then a few times a week, and sometimes i lose count..lol So i always over estimate and i dont eat back my exercise calories. Seems to work great for me. Now that i brought up drinking, anyone else sometimes exercise while drunk?:drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I always over estimate because i like to drink a few beers more then a few times a week, and sometimes i lose count..lol So i always over estimate and i dont eat back my exercise calories. Seems to work great for me. Now that i brought up drinking, anyone else sometimes exercise while drunk?:drinker:

Sure, I do. Dancing, naturally. But, my husband and I often hike through the woods after or while drinking. We even tote along a softside cooler of beer and/or a bottle of wine to keep the buzz going. I love being in the woods when tipsy.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Sure, I do. Dancing, naturally. But, my husband and I often hike through the woods after or while drinking. We even tote along a softside cooler of beer and/or a bottle of wine to keep the buzz going. I love being in the woods when tipsy.

Glad there someone else out there that enjoys exercise while buzzed/drunk. It may just be me, but I sometimes feel more energetic exercising while drunk, more then my morning exercise routine. I even have less of a hangover the next morning because i think i sweat out most of the alcohol/impurities.

We are definitely in the minority, and im expecting some critics on their high horse to respond.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If I have to estimate a portion, I always inflate my first guess by a percentage based on how big a WAG it is. If I have to guess portion size AND pick the closest match out of the database, I may even double it.

What is a WAG?

Wild A** Guess

Lol I was way over-thinking that

Sorry :tongue: If there's some sort of support (e.g. "That bowl looks like it's about a cup.") then it may be a SWAG - Statistical Wild A** Guess
  • narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Muffins and stuff I just divide by 12 and won't bother weighing each muffin. Why can't you divide by 18 if you're making 18?

I do. ;)

I just have NO interest at all in weighing my food. None at all. And I really can't be the only one (according to some responses here, I'm not.)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If I don't know the weight of something, I always overestimate.
  • sumlo30
    Options
    I do overestimate on my portions. I may add an extra tbs of creamer for my coffee or the milk in my cereal. I am sure there are small things I eat that may not get logged and do count. I feel it helps keep a more accurate count. I would rather over than under!!
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also am an over estimator. I also underestimated my workout calories. It just makes me feel better...I can't explain it.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I just have NO interest at all in weighing my food. None at all. And I really can't be the only one (according to some responses here, I'm not.)

ME! I also have zero interest in weighing my food. I'm here to create new habits to make me healthier for the rest of my life. I can count/track calories for the rest of my life but I wouldn't last 2 days weighing my food. I'd rebel (against WHO??) and eat like a pig for the next 3 months. Revenge against oneself is the worst revenge of all.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If I eat out I do. When I'm home I actually weigh my food before I cook it. I usually take a guess then add an extra 25%-50%
  • michelleraebaker
    michelleraebaker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything. No estimation ever. Because sometimes eyeballing might mean you could have actually had more and I love food, so if I can eat an entire cup of something you bet your sweet as$ I will. Everything can be figured out, like your muffins you just take the entire box then and divide by 18. The down side is a lot of washing of the measuring cups and spoons and wiping down your food scale often. The results are worth those extra dishes everyday! Good luck to you! Doing great so far!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Not for the most part, but it depends on the circumstances. One thing is, I don't have a digital scale yet, so I measure stuff, but things that are really calorie-dense, like peanut butter or cheese, I'll purposely cut the portion a tiny bit from the tablespoon or ounce I log....just in case I'm off a bit.

If I'm eating somewhere else or otherwise having a dish I'm unsure of, I'll choose something similar from the database and choose a higher one, even if I think it sounds like too much.

And if I log exercise, which I often don't, I usually only log half of it.