How can I become a faster runner?

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    In regards to the longer runs, I can see how that can help. I looked back at my C25K stats and could see how my speed changed once I started doing the longer runs.

Yup. Intervals, hills, etc are all great, but the gains will be minimal until you have your aerobic fitness up.

I wanted to drop my marathon time this year. The way I did it was upping my mileage (I do intervals too, but the key to getting my fitness up was more miles, more miles, more miles). If you want to run a faster 5k, train to run a 10k.

Fartleks and strides are great intros to speed work. You can throw those into some of your runs.

Listen to this young lady, she knows her running, very experienced and very fast!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Squats! No one mentioned squats! Especially high bar squats which is more quad dominant.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    From another perspective... HEAVY lifting will improve your performance. Lower body exercises including squats, deadlifts, lunges, and glute bridges will do wonders for your speed.

The benefits of resistance training as far as recreational 5-10K runners are mainly around injury prevention, at least until one is looking at specific and fairly detailed race strategy. These will have a significant impact on explosive strength for sprinting, but they're much less important than putting in the miles until that base level of stamina is built up.

It is really worth doing some resistance work to reduce the risk of lower limb injury though.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Intervals...intervals...intervals...

What might be a fun idea - since you liked c25k - would be redo the c25k.

But this time, instead of walking and running, "walk" at your current normal running pace and run at the faster pace you want to achieve.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I never really did anything specific targeting speed until ~3 years in. I sped up regardless though through simply doing more miles. It builds up your aerobic capacity, lactate threshold, and allows you to tune your gait for the most efficient stride. How many miles are you doing weekly? What is the breakdown in terms of days per week, and miles per run?
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Intervals/fartleks & hill training helped me immensely!

In the spring my 10k pace was a little over 6:00/K (roughly 10 MPH). Dropped it to low single digit 5:00 range by mid August. 5:00 - 5:05/k (roughly 11 MPH).

And, still working on improving!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In regards to the longer runs, I can see how that can help. I looked back at my C25K stats and could see how my speed changed once I started doing the longer runs.

Yup. Intervals, hills, etc are all great, but the gains will be minimal until you have your aerobic fitness up.

I wanted to drop my marathon time this year. The way I did it was upping my mileage (I do intervals too, but the key to getting my fitness up was more miles, more miles, more miles). If you want to run a faster 5k, train to run a 10k.

Fartleks and strides are great intros to speed work. You can throw those into some of your runs.

Listen to this young lady, she knows her running, very experienced and very fast!
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I've never done a fartlek or a speed workout or an interval workout or weights or anything else other than run and I've gotten faster. My first 5k (right aftter C25k) was at a 12 min pace, and now three years later I run at a 8 min pace for a 5k. Run more, run more, and run more. Long runs are also great but in general run to get better at running for us mere mortals.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great tips here. I am trying to build myself up to running for 1 hour non-stop, then starting some interval training to increase speed. Good luck on your running goals!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Much like the fastest way to do more push-ups is to increase your one rep max, I've found the fastest way to increase my pace times is doing A LOT of sprints.

When I ran on a track I'd sprint straight-aways and and walk of jog the curves (jogging as I became more fit).

Much like heavy lifting, nobody likes going all out though.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is recommending intervals, while well intentioned, are forgetting one major important factor here. She just started running 8 weeks ago! While the intervals are a good suggestion for later on, you all must remember she is only at about 9 miles a week running. She needs miles and time on her feet right now before the intervals and speed sessions.

Team...pick up your next goal. You mentioned B210K over in the C25K group at one point. I would think that would be a good continuation from what you have been doing. It picks right up where C25K lets off and helps you to start building a long run. Your bones and your skeletal structure is still reacting to the new stress that running is putting upon it. Building a base -and- speed sessions could set you up for injury if you aren't careful.

I agree with this. I took up running in January and am just now getting a decent base (15 miles a week). I've already gotten faster just because I run much further than I used to. Get used to a 10K distance first. Once you have decent distance, you can focus on speed/interval type work.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    1) more miles

2) more miles

3) more miles

speedwork won't get you very far if you lack aerobic fitness - maybe some fartleks here and there

Blaine-This.gif

couldn't have said it better.

I agree!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of advice on here. Most of its good and some of it is questionable. Having gone from 12:00 miles to 7:30 in a years time my advice is to be patient since it won't happen in a week or even a month. Be consistent in your training, you have to run regularly and it's easier to do if you have a plan (Google Hal Higdon, he is a guru on training plans).

Finally, I did a lot of swimming and cycling and really believe it made a HUGE difference in my running. Also helped me finish some triathlons which felt pretty awesome.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I never really did anything specific targeting speed until ~3 years in. I sped up regardless though through simply doing more miles. It builds up your aerobic capacity, lactate threshold, and allows you to tune your gait for the most efficient stride. How many miles are you doing weekly? What is the breakdown in terms of days per week, and miles per run?

It really just depends. I was following the C25K plan. I always did at least 3 days per week, lately ranging from 2.2-3.1 miles per run. Before then, I was following the plan almost each day, but those were for shorter runs, up to around 1.7 miles per run. I'm hoping to run at least 3.1 miles per run at least six times a week (AM and PM runs each Sat and Sun, and a morning run twice during the workweek). If it's not too cold, I'm pretty sure that I'll get another two runs during the week, unless I get lazy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

This, and if you have the means to take a spin class, I would recommend that as well. It's great for building your muscles and endurance.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

This, and if you have the means to take a spin class, I would recommend that as well. It's great for building your muscles and endurance.

I tried spinning and couldn't handle the seats, but I am biking lately.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I can unleash my Pitbull after you, guaranteed you will run super fast :flowerforyou:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    booze?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K. How can I go from running 5 mph to a faster speed throughout the entire run (30 minutes for example)? If you used C25K, please tell me what your speed/pace was when you finished the program, how long it took you to get X speed/pace, and how you got there. Thanks.

a couple things...
    Working on your running form is huge. Being more efficient is KEY.
    Running Longer distances makes your shorter distances faster.
    Start C25K over and PUSH HARDER during the RUNS. Early on SPRINT when they say run.
    Shorter faster Strides are more efficient then longer slower strides.
    Keep your feet under you not out in front and your body should be slightly leaning forward at the ankles not the waist!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    At her current level? No.