Jogging question

Options
I have sinus issues so when I jog I breath mainly through my mouth, with doing this my mouth and throat dry out fast and I end up with a cotton mouth to wear I stop jogging and walk for a bit until it is somewhat okay then I jog again, any suggestions on how to avoid this? Could I not be getting enough water before jogging? I have my first 5K this weekend and I really want to do well.

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mouth breather, but have you tried just running your tongue along your teeth (as if you were licking your front teeth? Don't ask me why I remember this (no idea!), but my grade school cross country coach used to tell us to do that if our mouths got dry. If you find that this happens less when you're super well hydrated, you've got your answer re: whether it's about not getting enough water (and remember that hydration happens in the day/hours before your run; chugging water right before you head out will not keep you hydrated).

Best of luck on your 5K this weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I live in a super dry climate. Even mostly breathing through my nose my mouth dries out (and my nose runs, too!) so I take a 10 ounce bottle of water with me on my runs. I take little sips every now and then just to hydrate my mouth. I also put on lip balm or my lips get really dry, too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You could always pick up a small water bottle like this:
    RRU1142-GY?wid=438&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0

Fits in your hand, the strap holds it in place so you don't really have to worry about gripping it all that much. They come in different sizes, and even a small one half full of water would give you something to at least wet your mouth occasionally. I picked one up at TJ Maxx for less than ten bucks.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I press my tongue against the back of my bottom teeth or I chew gum when I run. I rarely run without gum because I can't stand the dry mount I get without it.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I tried running with a deer park water bottle and it was more of a pain carrying it then it was worth. But maybe I will look into one that straps on to me.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Look at your hydration. But aside from that, I started chewing gum while I run. Helps with dry mouth.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Chew some gum..really helps.
  • runforfun2day
    Options
    I also use gum, I keep it in my cheek and give it a chew every once and a while during my run when needed.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I tried running with a deer park water bottle and it was more of a pain carrying it then it was worth. But maybe I will look into one that straps on to me.
    I have a belt with a pouch in the front and a water bottle at the small of my back. I use the pouch for my Samsung Galaxy S4 (too big to be comfortable in an armband), my sport beans and my lip balm. You can also look into the water bottles with a little handle you just slide your hand under. It lets you hold a small bottle without worries of dropping it.