Minimal Running Shoes

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations on minimal running shoes for women? Any shoes you in particular hated?

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Im male so i cant recommend a certain running shoe, but i run alot and from experience, get yourself a high impact shoe with air in the heels. I personally prefer nike air line, Im sure they make them for women.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How minimal are you talking? And have you already adjusted your running form to take into account the lack of padding in the sole?

I run in Vibram fivefingers. But they're definitely not for everyone.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Merrel Mix Masters and LOVE them. They're a minimalist shoe, but not quite barefoot, which is exactly what I was looking for. They have nice padding on the achilles tendon area, which a lot of barefoot shoes don't have (I understand why--cut down on weight, let your feet do their thing, but my feet weren't ready for that much freedom!). I'm not a very good runner, so I also use my Merrels in the gym lifting weights and in classes. Oh and I've even gone hiking in them, no issues. I couldn't recommend them enough!
  • SshQL
    SshQL Posts: 5
    Options
    How minimal are you talking? And have you already adjusted your running form to take into account the lack of padding in the sole?

I run in Vibram fivefingers. But they're definitely not for everyone.

I'm looking for something fairly minimal- I've transitioned to minimal shoes over the past 9 months or so, starting with a pair of Newtons and am currently alternating between the NB Minimus and a NB racing flat (that I can no longer find anywhere!). I've been considering Vibrams- not sure how I feel about doing my 20+ milers in them though.
    I have the Merrel Mix Masters and LOVE them. They're a minimalist shoe, but not quite barefoot, which is exactly what I was looking for. They have nice padding on the achilles tendon area, which a lot of barefoot shoes don't have (I understand why--cut down on weight, let your feet do their thing, but my feet weren't ready for that much freedom!). I'm not a very good runner, so I also use my Merrels in the gym lifting weights and in classes. Oh and I've even gone hiking in them, no issues. I couldn't recommend them enough!

Thanks, I'll check them out!
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I started in Vibrams and have done everything up to a marathon distance in them but ended up with what I think was a bruise in my foot from the marathon distance in them. Since then I have switched to Brooks Pure Connects for long runs, Brooks Pure Drifts for short races, and my Vibrams for any training runs under 10 miles.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I wear saucony pro grid mirage ii which is somewhat minimalist. I tried and liked Brooks pure cadence too but opted for the saucony instead