Any other 6'1" women around?

Options
Hi. :)

I'm a 6'1" lady with a weight of 271lbs currently. My goal is to drop to 260lbs and then from there on continue eating well and exercising. If I can get to 220lbs that'd be great!

I actually have a question about what other women have set their calories at to lose weight. MFP says that in order to lose 1.5lbs a week, I'd need to eat about 1790 calories a day.

But then I go calculate my TDEE and BMR and the numbers are waaay higher than that.

I spend 90% of my time at my computer for work and whatnot, although I do exercise 3 times a week at minimum now. When I say I have a sedentary lifestyle, I mean it. Here are the numbers I get from my calculations:

BMR: 2105
TDEE sedentary: 2526
TDEE 3 workouts/week: 2894

If I go calculate TDEE-20%, I get a minimum of 2021 calories per day for fully sedentary, and a whopping 2315 when I include my workouts.

I've seen women who are 5'5" eat 1800 cals a day to lose weight, and now I'm just worried that with my height, I'm just not eating enough and hurting my process. I did lose quite a bit of weight in the past couple of weeks, but sometimes I'm still hungry when I had plenty to eat. (My diary is public)

So what are the experiences from other crazy tall women? What are you eating at? How long, and how has it been working out for you?

Replies

• daftthoughts
    Options
    Bump!
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and MFP had originally set my calorie goal at 2200 calories. I manually lowered it gradually to 1700 calories, that's what I've been on for a few weeks now. I've lost 44 lbs in the last 4 1/2 months. I think for us it's not necessarily the amount of calories you eat but the quality of what you're eating, especially if you're sedentary most of the time. Try not to load up on the carbs and make sure the ones you eat are good whole grains, eat protein and lots of leafy veggies and you shouldn't have any problems in my opinion. If you want to friend me feel free.
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and MFP had originally set my calorie goal at 2200 calories. I manually lowered it gradually to 1700 calories, that's what I've been on for a few weeks now. I've lost 44 lbs in the last 4 1/2 months. I think for us it's not necessarily the amount of calories you eat but the quality of what you're eating, especially if you're sedentary most of the time. Try not to load up on the carbs and make sure the ones you eat are good whole grains, eat protein and lots of leafy veggies and you shouldn't have any problems in my opinion. If you want to friend me feel free.

I never had a problem with carbs. I mostly eat white bread, white rice and white pasta, and I still managed to drop 8 pounds in a month. I have been replacing a lot of bread with oatmeal though, which has helped sate my hunger a lot better. But it depends on what I'm 'craving'. Some days I just want to scarf down a dozen eggs, other days I just want bowl after bowl of oatmeal, haha.
  • sbatz111
    sbatz111 Posts: 35
    Options
    I started at 6'0, but have lost about an inch from back surgery. When I began MFP, I was at 800 calories per day, and my hair started falling out. I finally sucked it up and slowly went to 1500 per day, which is under what MFP suggests. I started at a much higher weight than you, however, and after 88 pounds lost am still at about 290. I plan to continue 1500 per day until I get to about 250, then gradually add (100 calories per day each week) until I get to 1800.

In my situation, I am lightly active except for the three 12 hour shifts I work, where I run my butt off! I notice that I can lose a pound at work, even if I'm hydrated, but I don't lose much else during the week unless I exercise.

I also try to make sure I eat back half my exercise calories, since I don't do much other than walking, it isn't a big difference. I think MFP way over estimates my calorie burn, so I stick to half.

Good luck, and listen to your body! If your hair starts falling out, or you are really hungry all the time, don't be afraid to eat more!
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1". my highest weight was 328 lbs. My current weight is 302. and my GW would be in the 180 range. When i first started, MFP suggested a 2000 calorie diet to lose 2-2.5 lbs a week. After a month I was maintaining, so i manually dropped my own to 1700. i weigh in on Saturday to see how th elast 2 weeks have been working for me, but I can tell you, i am full at 1700, some day sits hard to get tha tmuch. I can tell my stomach is shrinking, and clothes that were tight now fit comfortably. I love reading about other tall girls (5'10"+) and love reading their success stories. Good Luck!!! -:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Edit: I will note, the whole TDEE-20% thing was driving me crazy for weeks. You have to find what works for you. by those standards i shoul dbe eating between 2100-2500 calories. that is too much for me right now.. being larger, I can handle a higher deficit. As the weight comes off, you readjust. After doing 2100-2300 for a month, and losing and gaining the same 5 lbs..i changed it up. there are always good guidlines to follow, but everyone's body is different. Just make sure you give your body time to adjust to new settings. And remember, MFP is a great place for support!! :)
  • KiKiWoods
    KiKiWoods Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yay fellow tall ladies!!
    I am 6'1'', and started my journey last August at 260 pounds, I am now 183. I set my calories at 1500 for a whole year, upping them to 1800 at the beginning of this October. I worked out every day for about 2 hours a day, didn't eat back any exercise calories, and made sure I was eating quality foods.
    You're not going to go into starvation mode as easily as some people on the boards think you will, so don't be afraid of that. Yes, we are tall and need a bit more calories, but you can still cut them quite a lot. My TDEE says I should be eating about 2900 for being "very active" (since I work out so much), and here I am, eating 1800, without eating back my exercise calories burned. I'm strong, healthy, and still losing.
    Friend me if you'd like! I love making new friends, especially other tallies (:
    xoxo Sierra
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    there is also a couple groups for tall women on here, if you wanna give those a look (: