Trying To Overcome An Eating Disorder

Options
Hello,

Like the subject says, I have an eating disorder. I've been binge eating for 20 years and purging for about 13 years. Something in my brain finally snapped about 6 weeks ago and I stopped. I stopped purging anyway. But the binging is harder to stop. I look forward to food, I get excited about food and I want to eat a lot of many different types of food.

I tried to do intuitive eating at first. I had my husband take the battery out of the scale and asked him to only put it in on Saturday mornings. I started exercising regularly again (I used to be a dancer) and I tried only eating until I felt full. 2 weeks later the scale told me I had gained 5 lbs. It was at that point that I started tracking my food. That's helped a lot with learning to control my portions and not binging. But I have found new ways to binge. I'll go to the gym and burn 500 calories so that I can come home and eat chips or candy.

I'm becoming annoyed that the scale isn't budging. My weight has stayed the same since September. I've been exercising and faithfully logging my calories. Being honest about what I'm eating is the hardest part. Sometimes I don't want to face what I'm doing or what I want to do. I've also vowed to be honest with the people around me about what's going on. I've been secretive about my eating disorder for 20 years.

I relapsed last night. Everyone was in bed, and I ate leftovers and a half bag of Doritos. I told my husband that I felt sick, then I went in and made myself throw it up, as much as I could. One relapse in 6 weeks is not the end of the world. But dammit, I don't want to live that way anymore. I didn't realize how sick I looked until I stopped, and the color came back into my face, my skin stopped looking pouchy, the swelling in my neck went away. My teeth stopped hurting all the time. I don't want to go back to that.

Even though I binge and purge I'm not skinny. I used to be but as of the past couple years it's not as effective, maybe I don't get to the toilet soon enough, maybe its because I exercise less. I don't want to be skinny, but I do want to be healthy and good looking. I've set my goal at 120lbs and I'm 4'11" tall. My weight for the past few weeks has been staying between 136 and 140. The program has set my calorie goals at 1200 a day. This is incredibly hard to stick to but I've been doing my best.

I am open to advice, especially from those who have battled with eating disorders. My support structure is not very large, just my husband and my best friend and my therapist. I am a strong, smart, and capable woman going through one of the greatest struggles of her life. I thank you all for being understanding.

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Well I love food too and crave all types of food especially when my mom cooks but you have to learn to be in control of yourself. Learn to control how much you eat. That's how most of us got fat anyways.

I commend you for stopping the purging as this is horrible on your esophosus as well as teeth. Learn to eat in moderation. Seek professional help if need be.
  • recovery114
    Options
    Well I love food too and crave all types of food especially when my mom cooks but you have to learn to be in control of yourself. Learn to control how much you eat. That's how most of us got fat anyways.

I commend you for stopping the purging as this is horrible on your esophosus as well as teeth. Learn to eat in moderation. Seek professional help if need be.
    also a binge eater here and it's often not just a case of learning to be in control of yourself. its partly that. thats how you begin to stop binging but most people don't get the urge to binge as bingers do, just overeat.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

I am recovering from anorexia, but, I used to be a binge eater. I know it's hard not to fall back into those patterns. What I have found that helped me was I was eating small, more balanced meals, more often to reach a certain amount of calories (It wasn't the healthiest at the time, but at first food wasn't a fear for me and I literally didn't know how little I was eating) but since I have been in recovery, it has been up and down so I want you to know that it's an everyday thing that you will go through. You don't overcome an ED, recovery is for life. I try to eat balanced meals to reach 1200, :) And this also helps with the resisting urge to binge.

Everyone is different though. Through recovery you must learn to listen to your body, it will be hard but you can do it. You've got this.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Eating disorders are psychological disorders, and I know because I was a binger too. I know what you are going through. The scale won't budge because of the damage you have done to your body with binging - your metabolism is confused, if you will. If you can find a local support group for eating disorders, find one. Go to therapy if you can. If those aren't an option the internet is a great place to get help and resources, and one great place full of wonderful information is http://psychologyofeating.com/ -- TONS of great information, and I have personally been considering going through their certification process so i can help others be FREE of eating disorders. They suck.

But there is hope - but you need to get to the real reason you are doing this to yourself. For me it was about control and fulfilling my emotions with food, and then hating myself when I did - feeling so damn out of control! I remember being 100% obsessed with food ALL the time, and obsessed with controlling food. And I also remember the day it occurred to me I hadn't thought about food for a long time. I felt FREE. And I still am and haven't relapsed in over 2 years!

You can do it, but it's NOT easy. It takes a willingness to search inside and to stop using food to manage an otherwise uncontrollable life or some other situation you are (not) dealing with. And it happens one day, once choice at a time. (((hugs)))
  • recovery114
    Options
    I get that focus on food all the time.
    At my house I have seperate drawers in the fridge/cupboard/freezer for MY food. I don't like it when people re-arrange it or put their stuff on my shelf.
    I feel sorry for whoever gets me as their room mate at University :laugh:
  • dbustamante76
    Options
  • tues82
    tues82 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you, I'm glad to meet a fellow traveler on this journey.
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. I too have had an ED since I was six years old. I have been as small as a size 0 and as big as a size 24. I had treatment many years ago and was doing well for several years. Then I had some health issues and put on 60+ pounds. And have been trying to lose it ever since. ED is something that never goes away, it's just a day to day decision to eat healthy each time you sit down to a meal. I am not perfect by any means. I started MFP over two years ago and lost 38 pounds but gained back some and right now I am down 24lbs. Some people wouldn't consider that a very good success, but when I take into consideration that my weight is not going UP, for me that is a victory. I find that if I don't allow myself to eat a bit of something that I really want, then eventually I binge again. So for me it's trying to balance good food with an occasional treat. MFP helps me do that by tracking what I have. Somedays it isn't pretty.....but as long as I keep working at it I will get better and better.

I can suggest that you look into 'overeater's anonymous'. They help anerxics, bulimics or binge eaters. The support you will find there can be a tremendous help in overcoming your problem and in learning to love yourself even with this disease.

You can friend me if you like......

I wish t you well!!!!
  • Madmadammich
    Madmadammich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through the same thing, so I really sympathize! I am bulimic as well, and I have found that MFP has really helped. I recently lost my job, and along with it, my healthcare, so I am unable to continue therapy, like I was before. I started using MFP, hoping it would be a healthier option, than what I do left to my own devices. Mostly it has shifted the control issues I have, to calorie counting and exercise, but the purging has really slowed down.

I know it is hard for people who do not have the disorder to understand. You should be proud, even though it has been a short time. I have been tracking everything as diligently as you have, for about 6 weeks now, and have only lost 4lbs. It frustrates me that I have not lost more, considering the effort I am putting out, but I take joy in the small triumphs. Every meal... everything you put in your mouth, that you do not purge, is an achievement. Every work out, where you can clear your head, feel you have done something good for your body, is amazing.

I am in no way condoning purging, but facts are facts... when you purge, you still absorb about 50% of the calories in whatever you ate. So when you binge, you are still consuming large amounts of calories. That's why bulimics are often normal weight or even overweight, unlike anorexics. I know it is not as easy as just saying "stop purging!"... but really, it is easier to eat your meal and keep the calories, feeling satiated, rather than purge it, to be hungry again in an hour and binge again.

Also, don't worry so much about gaining weight.... making an active effort to improve your health is what counts. When you're healthy, it will shed off naturally, if you're still putting in the effort. Your body will take time to adjust. I have been actively trying to improve my bulimia for the last 2 years, and have put on 30 lbs in the process. A lot of it was because of stress from work, which caused me to binge more, but also because I was not exercising, eating the same way I had before, and not purging my meals as often. It takes time for your stomach to shrink back to normal size. You are probably used to eating really large portions, like me, so the best advice there is to eat smaller portions more often, every 2 hours, like others have already said. It really does help, it makes you less hungry and less likely to binge and then inevitably purge.

Also, make sure to take your measurements and check every other week or so. I haven't lost much weight, but I have lost inches, so that tells me I have probably gained muscle weight. Also, find healthier snacks. Chips are the devil! lol. 8 chips equal like 140 calories. So not worth it when you can have a cup of soup, which will make you feel more full, for the same, if not less, calories.

Lastly, do you allow yourself a cheat day? My cheat day is Saturday. Since I am bulimic, if I were left to my own devices, I would probably binge and purge like 4,000 calories of fried chicken and skittles, so what I do is allow myself one cheat meal, so that my calories for the whole day won't be so overboard. Typically cheat days I tend to go over between 200-600 calories.... which is pretty much just maintaining your weight instead of losing, but knowing you are allowed a day to eat something indulgent, makes the other 6 days easy to do, so it's worth it, at least to me. I also tend to make sure that indulgent meal is typically going out to eat with family or friends who support me. I am less likely to purge with people around, than if I were alone.

Anyways... Good luck lady! I am rooting for you. Remember that losing weight is just an EXTERNAL goal, and bulimia is an internal issue. I am sure you have plenty of people who love you, including that husband you mentioned, whom seems to be very supportive of your disorder. I am sure they all love you for who you are, and not what number the scale says. Best of luck... my heart really does go out to you!

-Michelle
  • octogirlpretty
    Options
    Yeah, I've been there. I'm 21 now, but from the ages of 13-17 I had anorexia, as well as a dependency on laxatives. I was 106lbs (5'6) woke up one morning, felt the typical chill throughout my skin, tingling extremities, and my heart always felt like it was beating out of my chest. Could never sleep enough.
    That morning, something in my head just snapped, like you said. I decided I'd had enough. It took a while to understand how to eat correctly, and then I took it over board, and here I am trying to lose weight but in a healthy and sustainable way.
    I think it's possibly something that you will think about a lot and will take some time to find that balance. I'm still looking but I think I've found the right path now.
    Good luck and feel free to add me if you need someone around who knows what it's like! <3