Weights... heavy and slow or light and fast?

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weight with a steady (not fast) tempo is to build muscle. Lifting light weight for high reps is cardio. It elevates your heart rate and builds muscle endurance, not muscle size.

a carefully constructed workout could give you a very high and sustained heart rate, and still be in an appropriate rep range to build muslce. but you'd be lifting more what most people would probably consider moderate weight rather then light weight.

from what i've been reading recently, going lower in reps (probably 8 or less) is best for strength, but mass built more by high volume training. how heavy you are lifting is probably less important then always reaching failure regardless of rep range and altering your training frequently, including weight/rep range... when it comes to mass building
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is losing the fat over your muscles and strengthening them so that they have more visible definition. Lifting heavy (with mainly compound lifts) is probably the most effective way to achieve that. But really, in the end, you should do whichever workout you prefer and are more likely to stick with. And yes, Body [insert exercise type here] classes are largely cardio with resistance moves rather than focused strength training.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weight with a steady (not fast) tempo is to build muscle. Lifting light weight for high reps is cardio. It elevates your heart rate and builds muscle endurance, not muscle size.

a carefully constructed workout could give you a very high and sustained heart rate, and still be in an appropriate rep range to build muslce. but you'd be lifting more what most people would probably consider moderate weight rather then light weight.

I was referring to the class that she was talking about :yawn:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Also, Body Pump is a cardio workout, not a strength training workout.

Have you done Les Mills Pump? I can't imagine it being a cardio workout.

Yes. And it's WORLDS different than lifting heavy to build muscle.

To build muscle you squat A LOT of weight for 5-10 reps. Not 15lbs until a 3 minute song is over.

Disagree. That's more about building strength. You can do all the heavy lifts at a slow pace, but if you aren't providing the building blocks through diet, gains in mass will be minimal, but gains in strength can be exponential.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I always thought that ensuring proper form when lifting weights (thus going slow, controlling the movements) was the best way to ensure the most of the workout?
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Pump is designed to work your fast twitch muscle fibers and burn fat using a lot of reps and lighter weight. CE is designed to help you build a little muscle and the slow twitch muscle fibers while burning fat and converting fat to muscle. Both are great for losing weight and burning fat. But for toning Pump if the better of the 2 because it doesn't let you build much but it lets you burn the fat around your existing muscle exposing your already established muscle. AKA: Toning

So again it depends on where you want to take your body. Also you have to take into consideration your body type and your type does play a role in choosing your training regiment and style.
    Ectomorph
    Mesomorph
    Endomorph

AWSEOME response!!
    I recently just discovered the Body type and how loosing fat/weight is affected.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

Happy Researching :)
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you, those of you who responded politely :wink:

Okay, so both will tone but heavy and slower will tone faster, lift til you can't life (which is more Chalene Extreme not Les Mills)... is this correct?

As for Les being Cardio, it's interesting, I don't really break much of a sweat. Now, The Firm workout which is low impact and weights, wow, that I would consider cardio as well as strength training. Maybe I need heavier weights for Les Mills. I will def give it a try.

I can't eat less because I am at 1200 calories according to MFP, that's what I should be eating, so I will not go lower than that. Adding exercise will allow me to eat a little more.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I always thought that ensuring proper form when lifting weights (thus going slow, controlling the movements) was the best way to ensure the most of the workout?

Not necessarily. Correct form is, at it's most basic, about avoiding injury. You can often get better lifts with slightly less perfect form, but you increase the risk of injury. When form goes completely to hell, then you're likely to end up hurt AND not working muscles very effectively.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Correct form is, at it's most basic, about avoiding injury. You can often get better lifts with slightly less perfect form, but you increase the risk of injury. When form goes completely to hell, then you're likely to end up hurt AND not working muscles very effectively.

Yeah the "go slow" thing is a popular misconception. What's of utmost importance is to control the weight and keep good form. If you do it quickly otherwise, or slowly, it doesn't matter.

In fact, it's always better to do it with what is referred to as "explosiveness". So, when pushing or pulling, give it maximum effort to move the weight as quickly as possible (even if it's heavy and crawling lol), once again provided you are still in control and keeping good form.

Most of the time trainers recommend going slow because inexperienced lifters tend to otherwise "throw" the weight or use momentum from rep to rep if they go too fast.

Oh, and seriously, remove "tone" from your vocabulary. If you want to look "toned", you need to lower your body fat and build muscle, and that's really it. Simple.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Pump is designed to work your fast twitch muscle fibers and burn fat using a lot of reps and lighter weight.

If Les Mills is light weight and high reps how is it training your fast twitch muscle fibers? Fast twitch muscles are typically trained...

- Max Effort:
    - Dynamic Effort
    - Plyometrics

None of those categories are light weight for a lot of reps. Yes Dynamic Effort is typically lighter weight but it's usually very low reps, like 2 - 3. Well, maybe not the plyometrics but even moderate reps isn't "high".
    most definetly one can do cardio with resistance

Yup, go to a BootCamp or CrossFit class.
    Disagree. That's more about building strength. You can do all the heavy lifts at a slow pace

You can disagree but you would be wrong. In lifting any weight momentum should definitely be used, almost a controlled explosiveness if you will. Even though the weight is moving slowly, that doesn't mean that the lifter didn't explode into it. You're not going to be lifting anything heavy if you try to do it slowly. That doesn't mean you lose control and use poor form but you definitely want to be explosive. One strength coach I like to read from said to get violent with the weight.
  • RGv2
    Options

Yeah the "go slow" thing is a popular misconception. What's of utmost importance is to control the weight and keep good form. If you do it quickly otherwise, or slowly, it doesn't matter.

This back and forth reminds me of a guy at my gym. Only uses the machines, loads them up as heavy as possible, barely moves the weight going as fast as he can using momentum and body weight, does 1/4 reps (I've never actually seen him do ONE complete rep), has AWFUL form, then subsequently drops the entire STACK of weights. I'm waiting for the stack of plates to split down the middle one of these days.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

This back and forth reminds me of a guy at my gym. Only uses the machines, loads them up as heavy as possible, barely moves the weight going as fast as he can using momentum and body weight, does 1/4 reps (I've never actually seen him do ONE complete rep), has AWFUL form, then subsequently drops the entire STACK of weights. I'm waiting for the stack of plates to split down the middle one of these days.

Yeah, people like that are friggin' ignorant and sometimes I hope they hurt themselves. The idea is still to maintain control over the eccentric portion of the lift, even pause at the bottom of it, but the explode into the concentric portion. You never lose control but going slow and steady is not the way to do it.

If you're more into bodybuilding then you can definitely make the case, especially with isolation exercises, to have a more controlled tempo. Something like a 1 second concentric / 1 second hold / 4 second eccentric; focus on feeling the muscle.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Have you done Les Mills Pump? I can't imagine it being a cardio workout.

Yes I have. Lifting a light weight a zillion times is cardio in my world. Lifting a weight so heavy that I can only do 8 reps or so with good form IS what strength training IS.
    Totally agree.

And that business about one targeting slow twitch and the other targeting fast twitch fibers is a nice thought, but it's just not true.

Also, the ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph somatotype theory is a PSYCHOLOGICAL theory from the 1940's. It really had nothing to do with strength and conditioning.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Yeah, people like that are friggin' ignorant and sometimes I hope they hurt themselves. The idea is still to maintain control over the eccentric portion of the lift, even pause at the bottom of it, but the explode into the concentric portion. You never lose control but going slow and steady is not the way to do it.

If you're more into bodybuilding then you can definitely make the case, especially with isolation exercises, to have a more controlled tempo. Something like a 1 second concentric / 1 second hold / 4 second eccentric; focus on feeling the muscle.

Is this based on any research, or is it just bro science?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Leaves this and runs.

34acd31283ffc619bce4dcc92d15d31c.jpg
  • RGv2
    Options

Is this based on any research, or is it just bro science?

What? Lifting a weight you can actually handle and perform a rep correctly?
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    FWIW ... I used to train with a Charles Poliquin certifed strength coach and lifting tempo was always important for strenght gains. Here's an article Poliquin wrote last year regarding lifting tempo.

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/898/Ten_Things_You_Should_Know_About_Tempo_Training.aspx
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    And that business about one targeting slow twitch and the other targeting fast twitch fibers is a nice thought, but it's just not true.

i agree with the penguin on that one, its always been my understand that slow twitch (or type 2 or white meat or whatever you want to call it) was worked out more by endurance work outs while fast twitch is stimulated by short powerful exercises
  • JustJennie13
    Options

This seems like it's geared toward men.

There is one with female body types but I can't find it again to post the link