How to calculate calories for personal training at the gym

Options
Hi there,

I have weekly sessions with a personal trainer at my gym, and I'm not sure how to calculate the calories burned. I do squats, bench presses, a bit of boxing, and do other weight exercises too. How on earth can I calculate the calories burned? I sweat like crazy and my heart rate is definitely elevated.

I don't usually try and calculate the calories burned from my regular gym sessions, because I don't feel like I need to eat the calories back, but after a PT session I'm usually STARVING.

Thanks.

Replies

• Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    a healthy post workout meal is a must IMO. if you need to get very close to caloric burn wear a HR monitor for a few sessions and that will get you very close. It really needs to be based on your goals....lose wt, maintain or gain.
  • Ottawa_Randy
    Ottawa_Randy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Circuit (in Exercise selections) and I usually post a little less than my actual time since I pause between sets or get a drink.
    It posts the cals based on a general Resistance Circuit related to your body weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ask your personal trainer
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try a heart rate monitor that calculates the calories burned.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do the TDEE method (which includes exercise calories) and not worry about it. Adjust numbers as needed in 4-6 weeks.

Otherwise, log it under strength training in MFP. Do it for 4-6 weeks and then decide for yourself if the burns are too high and adjust a that point (i.e. whether you need to take 50-100cals off the given #, etc).
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    # 1.. wear a heart rate monitor to track your calories (there are hrm's specifically for weight training, well sell them at Lifetime)
    #2.. you don't need to eat your calories back
    #2.. if you are hungry, eat.

I'm sure your trainer has you doing some muscle work.. keep your protein in check. It wouldn't hurt at all to have protein after your workout. :)
  • StrawberriB
    Options
    I have been training with a trainer as well and just asked him your very question. I got a heart rate monitor and used it for the first time today during my personal training session. I entered the calories it told me I burned under cardio- circuit training general. Hope this helps!
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to do the TDEE method (which includes exercise calories) and not worry about it. Adjust numbers as needed in 4-6 weeks.

Otherwise, log it under strength training in MFP. Do it for 4-6 weeks and then decide for yourself if the burns are too high and adjust a that point (i.e. whether you need to take 50-100cals off the given #, etc).

The strength training section doesn't give me calories burned, it just is a record of what I've done which isn't really useful in this situation. I think I might just make sure I have a healthy meal after working out and if it means I go over the calories alotted to me by MFP that's not the end of the world
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How long is your training session?

How far could you run in that same length of time?
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My trainer advised me to book it on our gym site as bodypump as we are doing a mix of lifting and cardio.