despairing

Options
Hi I'm new here and hoping for support.
About a month ago I ended up in the hospital in kidney failure.It changed me dramatically-I was scared into reviewing the way I was treating myself and my body. I changed the way I was eating-my meals are much healthier and smaller portions. I have been exercising almost every day and I love it. the problem is that my initial high has calmed down and now I'm really struggling with cravings, which I've been giving into. I've put back on 8 lbs. and I can't seem to stop myself. I'm getting desperate. Any advice???

Replies

• Maggie1960
    Options
    You've come to the right place for support, there are lovely people here and there's a lot of motivational and inspirational stories to read. Feel free to add me as a friend.:flowerforyou:
    You've taken the first step to the new you, now you simply need to continue with your new lifestyle - easier said than done, but with help, you'll get there.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    take one day at a time. Ask yourself before each binge 'do I really need this?" and remember how scared you were after your kidney problem. If that was your motivator then keep it in your head. (dont be paranoid though). keep logging in mfp and track your calories. it will come off if you commit to do so. and all of us here will help motivate and encourage you!
  • ayameinlove
    ayameinlove Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you banned certain foods? Because banning a food makes you want it even more. I've found that a "bite" of certain foods I crave keeps me on track. So I prepare tiny portions in take along containers, in case of crave emergency! The key is to really think about it as you eat, enjoy that little portion to the maximum flavor!
  • mmatteson
    Options
    I know is frustrating to see that number go up again after all the hard work, but try to examine what is causing the binges and what exactly are you craving. I started craving chocolate, which for me is a trigger that the monthly thing is starting. So I found some Special K health bars with chocolate that are 120 calories. When I crave the chocolate I remind myself I can have this as a snack, which takes care of my craving and helps me stay focused on weight loss. Typically, when you have cravings your body is trying to tell you it is lacking something. So examine what your craving, when your craving, and possibly why. Then find a solution to ease the craving in a healthy way. Keep perservering.
  • Gizmo52
    Gizmo52 Posts: 43
    Options
    I was told two great rules once by a wise younger person:

1) Wait 10 minutes. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and go about your day. When the timer goes off, you want it still - take a bite. You really want that first taste.

2) Ask yourself - Can you eat an apple. If the answer is No, you don't want an apple - then you really aren't hungry and just bored. Find something to do with your hands. Do you knit or crochet? Do you sew? Crafty? Maybe start a journal or start a blog and just your feeling flow out on paper.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. It's wonderful that you decided to take better care of yourself. Cravings happen. Make sure you are eating regularly so you are not starving or you will be no match for cravings. If you crave something specific try to keep a low fat version on hand. I make low fat brownies for 37 calories each because I love chocolate. My friend keeps Healthy Choice meatloaf on hand because that's what she craves. You can also build a small portion of the real thing in to your daily calories. Sometimes just knowing you get to eat it will stop a craving. Keep at it!
  • Teri716
    Teri716 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As ridiculous as this sounds ( and as hard as it is) Take a walk, drink some water or eat some protein.

Sometimes I'm just thirsty (I don't drink alot of water) and if that doesn't work usually a walk can change my craving for something. Also PROTEIN can help me. A stick of string cheese, or a hard boiled egg.

If that doesn't work then let yourself have what ever it is you are craving. For me it's cake. But a 150 calorie Betty Crocker mini cake (eaten slowly with a small spoon) can do the trick.

Good Luck. We all struggle.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in banning anything from what I eat. This is a life change, not a quick fix diet. Step back and if you still crave it, have a bite. My issue is chocolate. I try not to keep sweets in the house because I would just go crazy, but at work I do have an 85% cocao bar. It's nearly $3.00 for the darn thing, so that is a little motivation not to inhale it. And frankly, because it's a bar of high quality chocolate, one square (only 56 calories!) keeps me happy for a week or longer. That never happened before (I used to eat a 1 pound bag of peanut M&Ms in about 24 hours). After awhile, your cravings will subside - it just takes your body time to adjust. Some people take a walk when they get a craving; try to find something to keep busy - read a book, start that project, play a game of Solitaire! You're going to have ups and downs. Just don't let the downs give you permission to go off track. Immediately get back on track and over time you will see the results you want to see.
  • suzieque3
    Options
    Hi Despairing, I think I know your feeling, I have been on this "eating healthier" for the past 5 weeks and lost oh about 3 lbs. I have
    giving in to my cravings (sugar) and am not really happy with the lying to myself. I try to write down all the cheating as well as the
    regular foods I'm eating and it is pretty bad. I don't even think I'm really getting all the candy charted with as much as i truly eat.
    Sooo, if you cave-in or not - write it down - it really helps you to see and understand, I've been trying to uderstand the feelings
    that are triggering the crave. I have a trainer who says i really need to amp-up the protein and eat more in the am - i'm eating
    mostly in the evening, then my body is trying to play catch-up. sooo, bottom line - write it down, give yourself time, evaluate what,
    when and how much your eating and just keep working at it. It took us a while to get where we are today and it will take sometime
    to undo what has already been done.
    I too have lots of chronic health issues, am too young to be taken as many medications as i need too, am in constant pain, but
    believe things will get better. as Henry Ford said " if you think you can or think you can't - your right ". Just keep moving forward,
    write it down, be true to yourself - and as with anyone you love - treat yourself with kindness, honesty and love yourself deeply.
    You are not alone, there are many of us out here - some may never reply, but they know how your feeling. as with AA - one day
    at a time. :wink:
  • LeslieEllen
    Options
    WOW!!!!!Thanks everyone. You've given me some excellent advice and I feel much better. I know I can do this.
    I also like to keep small amounts of foods , like the small bags of smartfood popcorn or the bars of the dark chocolate on hand . I did okay for a while, but then I started eating the whole thing(or things) instead of portioning them out. So, somehow I have to control myself-I think the keeping busy is good-Sometimes I'm bored or I want to escape.hence the eating.
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Kidney failure= watching your sodium.....Just make sure you include that with your daily intake.....this is such a neat site.....helps you with what you need......and give you such clear guidelines..... I know you can do this.... It must have been an aweful shakeup, but you will succeed.(we won't let you down!) You can do this........all the best....Lianne