fitbit, bodymedia, other?

Options
I'm looking for a better tool to track my physical activity. Anybody have a good or bad experience with fitbit, bodymedia, or other product they'd like to share?

Replies

• Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been using a FitBit since August and it's awesome. They have really great customer service too.
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have had a BodyMedia arm band for about 5 days and so far so good. The first day after a 50 minute sit & be fit class it showed only 1 minute of exercise - but I called for help and found I needed to set the MET preference to 2 (I may go higher) because the default of 1 really does not show sitting exercise. I'll know more after my class tomorrow! I have it synced to MFP and still do my meals through that. It has let me know much more about my metabolism than I expected! Time will tell!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've been using a FitBit since August and it's awesome. They have really great customer service too.

This.

I had a BodyBugg (similar to the BodyMedia Fit) but really hated both the armband and the lack of a display on the device itself.

There is a nice comparison review here:
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

This.

I had a BodyBugg (similar to the BodyMedia Fit) but really hated both the armband and the lack of a display on the device itself.

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
    Awesome review! Thank you so much for posting!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've also been using a Fitbit one since the summer and I think it's really great. I definitely walk more than I did before and I'll often take the stairs just to improve my "floors" count - the only problem I had was forgetting to take it out of my pocket beforeI I put my jeans in the wash. Sigh. It didn't survive.
  • caroarcia
    caroarcia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been using a Fitbit one for a month now, and its really great , on lazy days it makes you move since it gives you a negative calorie count ! and even though i don't walk that much it tracks all my other workouts just fine, and the sleep tracker is also very cool.
  • knurick
    knurick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jawbone UP links up well with mfp hand is very easy to use/ sync. Last 10 days on a charge, looks cool, comfy, and synced in less then 20secs!
    I'm so busy I needed something that would not take up more time! My sister is a PHD student at ASU and she recommended this over the fitbit for accuracy.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Fitbit brand. I currently have the Flex, but will likely get the Force soon. Their customer service is great as well. My flex was malfunctioning, and I didn't buy a warranty with it. They are giving me a complimentary replacement.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia fit and love it! I'd be so lost without it. That is a great review posted above!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. That is all.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options

This.

Thanks for posting this review ,truly helpful :smile:
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit ultra and the nike fuelband. I like the fitbit website better and it has apps for android phones, nike fuelband only works with Iphone. I can't wait for the new fitbit force to come out. I like to physically see my step count etc... which this will do. it will retail for 129.99 available in a couple of weeks. (NO even though it seems like it, I am not affiliated with fitbit... just love it)
  • courtneylyn1
    courtneylyn1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been using the BodyMedia Link since May and I love it! It has Bluetooth so I can update at anytime by linking it to my phone/app. I bought it open packaged(still new) off of ebay for about $80 dollars. I totally think it was worth it... I probably wouldn't have purchased it from Target for $200 though.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Been using a Fitbit since the end of June and it's really helped me get up and move more..I run, but it's helped me on rest days to at least move more even by just going for walks..
  • CarolDoodle
    CarolDoodle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • CarolDoodle
    CarolDoodle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used the Body Media Fit, Link model for over a year and it worked very well. All info was accessible from my cell phone. The problem was I stopped using the info it gave me. Having said that I am wondering if there is a monthly subscription with fitbit? I am considering getting fitbit. I thought it was waterproof? That is in regards to the comment that it did not survive the washing machine. As for the BMF, I also got tired of wearing it on my arm and having strangers ask me about it all the time. I am wondering what model these prior commenters are using on the Fitbit?? I am looking at the Force. Any thoughts?
  • Wantmy2dollars
    Wantmy2dollars Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Looks like FitBit Premium is $49.99 a year, but there are plenty of free options.

I was wondering about heart rate. Does it work as a heart rate monitor as well?
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Jawbone UP links up well with mfp hand is very easy to use/ sync. Last 10 days on a charge, looks cool, comfy, and synced in less then 20secs!
    I'm so busy I needed something that would not take up more time! My sister is a PHD student at ASU and she recommended this over the fitbit for accuracy.

^^this. i love my Jawbone UP
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use Nike Fuel band.
    I like it, I feel it's simple and easy to use, which is all I need. :-)
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit for about 2 years. The numbers were cool, but it really didn't assist with my weight loss.

"Upgraded" to Bodymedia armband earlier this year. I thought it would be specific to me; more accurate with my ACTUAL activity. If it is accurate, I should be losing 2 pounds a week. I'm averaging about half a pound per week. And often times when I work quite vigorously, it hardly notices. When my subscription runs out, I'll probably try a heart rate monitor next.

I'm not sure if these tools are inaccurate, or if there's just something about me that goes against the whole "calories in/calories out" theory. If you were between Fitbit or Bodymedia, I'd say go with Fitbit. At least it doesn't require a subscription. And check Costco, Samsclub, and the 24 Hour Fitness online store before you buy. They don't always sell the items, but that's where I've seen the best prices.