Any other single moms here???

Options
Hey y'all I'm Liz. I'm a single mom and could really use some other single moms (or any kind of moms really) to talk to lol. It's hard for me to find time to exercise when I have my little girl all day every day. Send me a message or friend request, I'm usually on here.

Replies

• Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Single mom here! I have an 8 yr old daughter who lives with me 100% of the time. Feel free to add me anyone :)
  • ehargettfs21
    ehargettfs21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz! Yes, I'm a single mom and I know what you mean! Sometimes I can get my 3 year old to do exercise videos with me which is fun and cute to watch, but usually any other exercise is a struggle to fit in to my daily routine! I'll send you a friend request! :smile:
  • zsgirl1218
    zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lol mine does yoga with me. And when I do exercise videos she tries to do them too, grunting included! But I'm wanting to do a 10k and I can't run at all bc I have no one to keep her :(
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom! How old is your daughter? Is she too big for a jogging stroller? You may be able to find a decent one on Craigslist in your area. My youngest is 2 and I do my Insanity dvd's while he eats breakfast and watches Netflix on my computer. It works! lol
  • zsgirl1218
    Options
    She's almost three and hates strollers. But I'm looking for one. I miss running and I want to work my way up to a half marathon in the next year or so
  • ehargettfs21
    ehargettfs21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My daughter is the same way! She wants to push the stroller which makes walking even slower! lol
  • zsgirl1218
    Options
    Lol mine just wants me to carry her. Then put her down. Repeat as nessicary.
  • shihadeh124
    Options
    single mom also! I have a little boy who is about to be 3 in January :)
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm not a single mom, but a mom of a non-stop toddler who's never been much for naps.

As far as workouts go, I highly recommend anything by Jillian Michaels, because her workouts are short (30 minutes including warm-up, cool down) and extremely effective. Also, my toddler likes running around and copying me as I do them, and 30 minutes is about the limit of his attention span (for copying me half the time and playing with a few trucks here and there). If your daughter is old enough, she can even follow along with you.

You can squeeze exercise in and save nap-times and early morning/bedtime for other areas of your life!
  • zsgirl1218
    Options

Awweeee kiyas goin to be three in December. I'm trying to get her a tv all stand so we can go to the park and play with that so BOTH o us get exercise in... Ad there aren't many early morning times.... She wakes up at 6 usually :/ hour and a half nap and goes down to bed at 8 but stays up late singing to herself or interrupting my favorite show.... My only splurge and she won let m watch it lol!!!!! I need to find a good way to tire her little butt out too
  • simplycorey
    Options

Awweeee kiyas goin to be three in December.

My son will be 3 in January. :)

Sometimes my son gets bored in his stroller but I make sure we walk somewhere that has interesting scenery (unlike a boring track or something repetitive), plus I bring him snacks and let him play on his Leappad or on my phone. Try to find something that keeps her occupied and let her know she can only have it if she sits in the stroller.
  • Laura741
    Laura741 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Single mom here!! My son is almost 4.. we walk with him in the stroller and I workout during my lunch break at work. 30 mins at the gym is really all I can do but it's pretty much enough!! Also I workout with weights at home while he watches his shows on TV or plays with his toys.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mine will be 3 in December. Make her sit in the stroller, you're the mom LOL. Could you maybe stop at a gym on your way home from or on the way to work? Or have her do workout videos with you. I don't know, I work full time and am a single mom and find time to work out, and I know people far busier than me who do also, so it can be done.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of 2, my daughter just turned 13 (yikes!) and my son is 5 and started kindergarten this year.

Luckily they like to do Insanity with me, so that definitely helps. What is hard for me is making the time to do it. If my day goes on schedule it's like this:

5am - wake up, shower, breakfast etc
    6am - gets kids up, son takes his bath (my daughter showers at night), get them breakfast
    7am - out the door for work
    6pm - home from work, get kids dinner, do homework
    7:30pm - workout (usually Insanity)
    8:30pm - son goes to bed
    9pm - daughter goes to bed

And then I usually crash by 9:30 or 10. I tried getting up earlier to do my workout, but I was just exhausted all day and really crabby. Like I said, it's manageable as long as I don't have extra stuff going on. And with my daughter playing 2 sports and my son getting ready to start one it can get pretty chaotic.

I just do the best I can :smile:
  • zsgirl1218
    Options
    Yeah everydays busy here. I work and go to school full time and I'm the taxi driver for my family's days like yesterday I am on the road usually about 5-6 hours as opposed to my normally 3 straight hours of driving :/
  • erinnibhaoil
    erinnibhaoil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a newly single mom. My little girl is 8 months old. I just don't have the energy or motivation to exercise at the moment! :(
  • simplycorey
    Options
    I am a newly single mom. My little girl is 8 months old. I just don't have the energy or motivation to exercise at the moment! :(

I've only been single for 6.5 months. I know it's hard but exercise will actually help you through this difficult time. It helps you regain your energy, allows you to take out your frustrations, and walking or going for a run can be very therapeutic. Find the motivation in yourself and do this for you - to look and feel better. Hugs to you!
  • Laura741
    Laura741 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Exercising can also make you feel like you are in control of your life!... which, I know I needed..
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Single mom here, three kids!! Exercise is a stress reliever for me and makes me a better mom!
  • zsgirl1218
    Options
    Trust me I know that feeling. My daighters father left the dad i fpund out i was pregnant. That's why I gained so much weight AFTER I had her was bc I never had energy. Looking back I see I ate lots of junky foods that made me tired and gross.... Even now I have to force myself to workout but I'm starting to enjoy them a lot. I am always more patient with kiya after I do something. I've started putting in mini sessions of something like yoga or just streches right before I go to bed which feels fantastic. You get rid of all that stress and when you wake up you're so much more relaxed.