I want to start running!

Options
Hi everyone. I am currently walking briskly on my treadmill 5 days a week and circuit training 2 days a week. I am wanting to pick up the pace a little and make 3 of my days jogging/running days. Any ideas on a pace(mph) that I should start at?

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Speed = what ever it ends up being where you can still carry on a conversation without gasping for air.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPER SHOES! Unless of course you like the idea of pain in your feet, shins, knees, hips, etc. Go to a running store where they watch you run, analyze your gait, measure your foot and are willing to let you try the shoes before purchase.

Don't worry about speed, it comes with distance. The longer you run, the more you run, the faster you run.

Oh and be careful, running is addictive!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Find a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. Find a c25k app and accept that running will become an addiction. :smile:
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also advise you to go to a local running store and they can assist you with shoes. I had always heard that but never did it until I started to get serious about running. It made a world of difference.

If you're truly wanting to start and don't have experience, you may want to do the "Couch to 5k" program. I downloaded it to my Ipod and used that when I first started. NEVER in a million years did I think I could ever run a 5k. Even a mile. Even a couple mins without stopping. A year after I started the Cto5k program I ran a marathon!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is often too strenuous for beginners

A better option

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

Enjoy! :-)
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    And get off the treadmill... if you can. It makes running way more effective and way more interesting.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I second finding a c25k program you like. I followed the podcasts from NHS UK. Load the proper week on your ipod and Laura will tell you when to walk and when to run and offer lots of encouragement and tips to improve your running. c25k or Couch to 5k is an interval program that increases the time you run vs walk each week until you are able to run a 5k.

The biggest tip to a beginning runner is to start slow. Seriously.. If you can run any slower you are running too fast. It's all about building endurance in the beginning. Speed comes later.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    An alternate perspective on "proper running shoes"...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html
    "Dr Daniel Lieberman, professor of biological anthropology at Harvard University, has been studying the growing injury crisis in the developed world for some time and has come to a startling conclusion: 'A lot of foot and knee injuries currently plaguing us are caused by people running with shoes that actually make our feet weak, cause us to over-pronate (ankle rotation) and give us knee problems."
    In a paper for the British Journal Of Sports Medicine last year, Dr Craig Richards, a researcher at the University of Newcastle in Australia, revealed there are no evidence-based studies that demonstrate running shoes make you less prone to injury. Not one.
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, guys! I used to run track in high school several years ago, Lol! I just had a coach working with me then. As far as running outside, I live in the country with a lot of aggressive dogs around, so I try to keep it inside. I suppose I could go to the park on my way from work! Thanks again everyone!
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Find a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. Find a c25k app and accept that running will become an addiction. :smile:

^^ absolutely this
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25k but with no pressure to progress quickly. I've been doing it a week and am only up to 2 running intervals each time lol. But I'm literally starting from nothing, you might do well considering you're already active.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    3 months ago I couldn't run, now I am jogging/walking 3 mikes a day. 42 min for a 5k . Not a good time but I accept the challenge to get better. Rundouble is a great program as is Runtastic. I have dropped 85 lbs since Feb 1st. I will never look back.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Also, research breathing techniques. I was always so out of breath when I was running, and then someone told me that my breathing was off and I needed to breath in for 3 steps, out for 2 steps (these should expel almost all your air.) Then when you are short of breath or going up hill, switch to a 2 in and one out. Before, I was out of breath and falling on my *kitten* way before my legs would even start to tire. Now I am running for 10-15 minutes before I decide to walk and it has also increased my speed from 4.7 mph to 5.3 mph. Just by switching my breathing. Google it, it will help you!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    New shoes. Don't go cheap.

Find out your slow pace, then run slower.

Prepare to be a bad *kitten*.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What speed are you walking?
  • darkangel07760
    Options
    i am also just starting out running. definitely get a good pair of running sneakers, and go at a pace that works for you. i jog for one minute, walk for one minute right now, and hopefully i will be able to make it jog one minute/walk 30 seconds soon!
    good luck in your running!