After 106 lbs I Reached a Six Year Goal (pic)

Options
Today I checked off one of my last major milestones that I longed for over 106 pounds ago. The first was to surpass 347 lbs, the second, to get below 330, third, get to the weight I was in 2007 (around 290) and the last, get below 230 lbs (the lowest adult weight I can remember). Today, I have accomplished 3 out of four of those goals.

In the summer of 2007 I had a significant amount of pictures taken between a trip to Egypt through my University and a Family trip to Alaska. At my heaviest I would often look back through my Facebook pictures and think to myself, I looked better then, just heavy and possibly normal looking. I hated and longed to look at those pictures because they showed me exactly how far I had fallen, but they also showed an obtainable goal and that it was worth getting there. I kept a picture of me and my sisters from that year by my bed as a reminder of a time when I didn’t cringe at every picture of myself.

I kept two dresses from these trips, partly due to the nostalgia and because they had become symbols of where I once was. For six long years they remained an unattainable goal. Since I started losing weight this time around I came across these dresses multiple times and would try them on, just to see where I was. Each time I couldn’t get them over my head. Dejected I would try to hold on to any small positives or just repeat “you’ll get there one day”.

Today, I came across those same dresses and like each time before I had a moment of hope that they would fit. Today, my heart jumped as they not only went over my head, but my chest and hips. They finally fit! I’ll admit I stared at myself in the mirror in disbelief for a long time. I was honestly shocked. After being disappointed so many times before, when I was so confident that they would fit, it’s hard to not be stunned.

9c6466df-0efa-4385-86d3-a0258807e9df_zpse8b4a5e1.jpg
Left: Trip to Egypt in 2007 Right: me today

21ad9db5-ed7d-4353-b9b2-3c904791a1dc_zpsbfa732b2.jpg
Compare that to me at my highest weight

Part of me is beyond ecstatic and another part is disappointed. It’s obvious why I would be excited, but this sadness is unexpected. I can only assume it is because I so desperately wanted to be at those weights at my lowest moments, holding on to those numbers as symbols of hope. I’m not completely surprised. I had similar surreal feelings as I reached those first two goals and it’s only logical that I would feel the same way now. I have learned it is the unexpected goals that bring me the most joy, without a single shred of negativity. Now, after accomplishing what I thought I never could, I understand that these goals are only milestones; investing further emotion in them only leads to conflicting feelings and possible setbacks.

Replies

• thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    That's fantastic oh man :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That's fantastic. Looking forward to following in your footsteps!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!

I understand the feeling you are talking about, like somehow your happiness with yourself and your body hinges on those weights/goals. All I can say is don't let it consume the moment, be proud of your acheivments and keep working towards the ultimate goal. You really do look amazing and you should be proud of the dedication and hard work that got you here :)
  • asin2013
    Options
    Amazing !!! Kudos to you !!! You look wonderful
  • glenverrier
    glenverrier Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great commitment to yourself!! Fantastic Job!! Congratulations!
  • VaishnaviSlimsDown
    Options
    Congrats! Keep going and I must say that you are very beautiful :) !
  • hymescs
    hymescs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're the reason I keep coming to this site. Congrats and thanks for the daily inspiration!
  • hunnyb333
    hunnyb333 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You're right, those big goals that we force on ourselves don't always bring the happiness we want. You're amazing... 106 lbs! That's so incredible. The little things like being able to do stuff I couldn't before, or couldn't do without a struggle are the things that really make me happy. Enjoy every little achievement!
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress. You're very pretty.
  • jenn559896
    jenn559896 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look great!!!!!!!!!!!! You can really see a big difference, and how far along you have came. Congrats! =)
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're the reason I keep coming to this site. Congrats and thanks for the daily inspiration!

No, thank you! That made my day!! :D
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    YOU are AMAZING!!!
  • gothikgrrl
    gothikgrrl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. You get to a good point and are still not there yet, though you felt like you would be. You are doing AMAZING. Keep on going. And just do what I do when you hit a goal and still feel wanting, pick out more skinny clothes online LOL. In the next size down ;)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration! And you look beautiful in the dress. :flowerforyou:
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have done a fantastic job!

Be proud of your awesomeness!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I needed this post you show that goals are attainable even after a number of years. thank you for helping a woman out in limbo.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Nice work :)
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! :) And the dress is beautiful! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!