breastfeeding moms??

Options
Hi everyone... anyone here breastfeeding a new baby, how do you total up your calories? Do you add an extra 300-500 calories to your food diary, and if so, do you still lose weight? HELP pleaseeee!!!!!

Replies

• jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My wife has bf exclusivily all 5 kids and found that she had to in order to produce milk. Sometimes she had to eat mor carbs. Watch your baby and count diapers for wetting and soiling. The good news about bf is that it will help bring the tummy in and it really does burn 300 plus calories while you cuddle with your baby. Good luck.
  • alicial3
    alicial3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I haven't added extra calories because I seem to have to stick to right by 1200 to loose any weight. I haven't noticed any drop in my milk and my baby boy doesn't seem hungry, if anything he seems to have to feed less often (I think he takes in a good amount when he does eat). But I think each mom will be different so you just need to pay attention to your baby and see how they respond, if they seem to be hungry you may need to add the extra cals, if they seem good, you may be fine! Good news is the lbs do drop off quickly when breast feeding, I've lost 24lbs in 2 months! Good luck!
  • sherrytaeu
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a breastfeeding mommy and from another website, it has helped me calculate how many calories I should be taking in according to my weight. I just started to count my calories again now that I'm back at work. So far I've maintained the same weight since I weighed in 2 weeks ago. I'm a true believer and advocate for breastfeeding. This is my second time around breastfeeding a baby and both times my pregnancy stomach went down fast. On the flip side to this, before I got pregnant, I counted my calories and just walked around my neighborhood every night and I lost 20 pounds. So I am assuming that as long as you watch your calorie intake per day, the pounds will shed...

Hope this helps as I was wondering the same thing.... =)
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually enter it in my snacks for the day. Just enter nursing mother and estimate how many oz's that you breast fed the baby and it adds in calories for you. I am not on a specific diet since I am still nursing but eating a well balanced healthy diet has helped me to lose weight and I'm sure that eating all the extra fruits and vegetables are great for the baby too!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    When you fill in your food diary click ADD FOOD and type in "breastfeeding", it will then bring up the breastfeeding options. you will need to know approximately how much your little one is having but this might help there http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    thank you everyone=)