Most effective macros for weightless? Calories or macros?

Options
What have you guys found to be most effective macros for weightless? Are Calories or macros more important?

I've been eating more protein, possibly vegetables(I do eat plenty already) but also more calories. No weightloss the opposite so far but I knew my body would be healthier with more protein. It has increased my overall calories for sure but my macros are better.
My protein is @40, so is my carbs and my fat @20.

But before, when I was eating less calories but also more carbs, I was looosing weight and now I'm not. So I'm confused whether this really is healthy or just me pushing myself cause I read about South Beach, Paleo all these protein/vegetable centered diets that seemed so healthy for the body. I ate more of plain greek yogurt and berries and less of fish/eggs/poultry chicken vegetables before and now more of the second along with dark chocolate and coconut for satiating fats.
I truly wonder if I should just go back to my old way of eating with more carbs fruits and more successful weight loss.

I would be very very grateful to hear your perspective knowledge insight advice, yes! Thank you so much for sharing.
Bests :)

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rewriting for clarity:

"I used to eat fewer calories on a carb-heavy diet, and was losing weight. Now I'm on a protein-heavy "paleo" diet and I'm eating way more calories and gaining weight. This is healthy, right?"

Am I understanding you correctly....?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Calories are the most important. That's simply the way the body works. Calories in, calories out. I can lose weight eating McDonalds if I keep the calorie count low; and I can gain weight on a vegetarian diet if I let my calories go too high (technically, chocolate and potato chips are vegetarian).

Macros are also important to the quality of health and even the quality of weight loss (like protein and muscle mass loss). But calories first.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I watch my macros AND my calories. Since I am very close to my goal, I'm at a very slim deficit. I have MFP set at .5 pound loss per week.

My Macros are set at 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fat. I engage in endurance training most of the year and need the higher carbs to get through my workouts. On race day, I'll eat something like 70 carbs/ 15 protein/ 15 fat.

Just keep experimenting until you find a combo that works well for your goals. No two people's bodies will respond the same way, so you have to just keep trying out new methods until you hit on one that works best for you.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    They both go together.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    calories, calories, calories. Google Twinkie diet if you like an extreme example of how calories are all that matter:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why not both?

Count your calories, obey the macros, watch your micros=win
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Overall calories are the most important but macros are important to for body composition and satiety. I really like the IIFYM calculator for figuring out your macros.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How does one set 'macros' ? Aren't they preset when goals are established ?
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    hanks guys; sooooo much! Wow you know tons and are incredibly helpful and informative. Inexpressible Gratitude=yes.

My body feels healthier lately(not that I didn't eat pretty clean before) but I feel overly satiated/full not quite satisfied(my sweet tooth hankerings). I think thats why I'm eating more of the super healthy stuff body just looking for something more....

Has anyone experienced a significant sweet tooth disappearance by simply doing without?

Does anyone else with hypoglycemia or not feel dramatically impacted in a negative way by fruit sugar and carbs?
    How do you modify your diet to be healthy? How do you cope with sweet tooth cravings?

More appreciation mmmhmmm!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Click on "my home."
    Click on "goals."
    Click on "change goals."
    Edit what you want and save.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

You can change them to what you want here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    hanks guys; sooooo much! Wow you know tons and are incredibly helpful and informative. Inexpressible Gratitude=yes.

My body feels healthier lately(not that I didn't eat pretty clean before) but I feel overly satiated/full not quite satisfied(my sweet tooth hankerings). I think thats why I'm eating more of the super healthy stuff body just looking for something more....

Has anyone experienced a significant sweet tooth disappearance by simply doing without?

Does anyone else with hypoglycemia or not feel dramatically impacted in a negative way by fruit sugar and carbs?
    How do you modify your diet to be healthy? How do you cope with sweet tooth cravings?

More appreciation mmmhmmm!

Most of the people that I have seen that have long term success learn to fit in the foods they like. I plan to have something sweet everyday so I dont ever have to cope with cravings.
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses to my "macros" query! Seems so easy but not sure what I need to set right now. May need to carry on for now, research and then reset goals. Thanks again for the direction!