Should I trust the nutr. info in my dining hall?

Options
Hi,

The website my university dining hall uses to post nutritional information seems pretty spot on for the most part but the thing I'm having trouble trusting are the roasted/ sauteed vegetables. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid but I noticed that my vegetables have a shiny sheen on them from the oil. They have 1/2 cup sauteed zucchini listed as 28 calories for 111 grams. I can't imagine anything that tastes so good and visibly shows a slight glistening of oil to only be 28 calories. Do you think that calorie count is correct?

I know I sound super paranoid and all but I'm trying to lose the last few pounds and nothing seems to be working and the veggies just seem like such an indulgence when I'm terrified that they might actually be loaded with calories.

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    NO, to answer your Topic! It is S.A.D., and that will do serious DAMAGE!

ETA: If you have no other options, I would eat the veggies and as much FRESH Veggies and Fruit as possible.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are allowing for a small amount of oil, as 100 grams of cooked zucchini is only 15 calories (according to USDA). If it has a whole teaspoon of oil on it, you're still looking at only 55 calories total. I wouldn't worry about it too much - I don't think that your zucchini is an indulgence.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Food is nothing to be terrified of. Vegetables are nothing to be terrified of. Even fat is nothing to terrified of. Your body needs it to be able to use fat-soluble vitamins, and essential fatty acids are called "essential" for a reason. If the dining hall is sauteing vegetables in oil or other fat (and I'm not sure how you saute something without fat), the veggies will pick up a little sheen. That calorie count would seem to allow for a little more than a quarter teaspoon of oil on a 1/2 cup of zucchini, which seems like plenty to leave a shine on the veggies. Don't be afraid of your food. Believe me, it's more scared of you than you are of it :wink: After all, you're the one who's going to walk away from the table.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Veggies are most definitely NOT an indulgence.