big plate of vegetables for dinner?

Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
My favourite thing to eat at the moment for dinner is a big plate of vegetables (brocolli, carrots, leeks, green beans) and i put some phildelphia light cheese on top and occassionally some chicken.

it's a very filling dinner but i'm wondering, is there such thing as too much veg and is this a good dinner to help towards my weight loss?

Replies

• well, I'd be concerned that if your other meals are similar then you're probably eating too few calories in general.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    I think you should eat some from other food groups as well.
    There's no such thing as too much veg (unless you blow up your stomach or something), but there is such a thing as too little protein and carbs.

Maybe divide your plate the way Dutch people tend to do it:
    about 50% vegetables
    about 25-35% starches (potatoes, rice, pasta etc)
    about 15-25% meat or meat replacement.

We were taught to see our plate as a clock: half an hour vegetables, 15-20 minutes potatoes and 10-15 minutes meat.
  • sounds awesome! I don't think there's a thing as too many veg as long as you're getting some carbs and protein. Vegetables are a great source of fiber and nutrition.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    I think it's great to have a big plate of veggies for one meal a day.
    I'd add a little more fat into your diet, to make it more satisfying and tastier, and to help your body absorb all the great vitamins in the veggies.

Maybe a darker cut of chicken like leg, deep sea fish like salmon or cod, a splash of olive oil, some full fat cheese or cream cheese as your veggie topping.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Eating too much broccoli might give you terrible gas.
  • ChanyL
    ChanyL Posts: 41
    Never too much veggies, but don't forget lean proteins :-)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    yummmmmmmm I do that sometimes mmmmmmmm
  • I think it's generally a terrific thing. I tend to have a similar meal most evenings (stir fry with tofu). Sounds like you know exactly what you're talking about, but there are a couple of things to watch out for according to my nutritionist friend!

- overloading on fibre (hello gas and digestive problems)
    - vitamin a overload (from too much sweet potato or carrots etc)
    - betacarotene overload (too many carrots, sweet potatoes, red capsicum and other red or orange foods...makes you turn orange; literally!)
    - inability for the body to absorb calcium/iron/other vitamins properly (this is caused by over eating one particular vegetable and not having a variety)
    - not getting enough calories and being tempted to binge on carbs/protein/fats later.

go the veg!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    I think you have to really eat bizarre amounts of any one vegetable to create any kind of vitamin overdose.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    I've never in my life heard of anyone overdosing on carrots. You're probably safe.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Veggies are lovely but I personally can't get full eating just veggies. Plus it would be hard to meet my cal goals having only a plate of them for dinner.
  • Those examples I gave were definitely EXTREME examples! But they're interesting ones! :happy:
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    I sometimes make a huge tray of oven roasted veggies for dinner. I use all kinds, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, carrots, red peppers, you get the picture. I also add some kind of meat in with them, a piece of chicken, polish dog, hot dog or some other small piece of meat that will cook at the same time as the veggies. I don't eat the meat,except for the chicken, but I do it for my hubby who can't seem to have any meal without some kind of meat. I do this about every two weeks so I can get my fill of those great veggies......AFter eating all those veggies, I am completely full and satisfied. I make sure I have the other nutrients during the day.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    I go through phases like that where all I eat are raw veggies and fruit it seems. Those are the weeks I take full advantage of the weekends where I end up eating out every meal to eat plenty of protein and carbs. I find when I'm better about my weeks being mainly raw fruits and veggies (and therefore generally under my calorie goal, sometimes by a lot) and my weekends full of carbs and proteins, the weight just falls off. I seemed to have forgotten that trick for a month and barely lost a pound. This week I got back to that style of eating and it's falling off again. But I've always had trouble meeting my protein goal and no trouble at all meeting my fiber goal.
  • Breakfast like a king , lunch like a lord , dinner as a pauper ! I only eat veg at night .
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    When i was a baby, my mom fed me carrots quite a bit because i would actually eat them all. My face actually turned orange!
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    I think you should eat some from other food groups as well.
    There's no such thing as too much veg (unless you blow up your stomach or something), but there is such a thing as too little protein and carbs.

Maybe divide your plate the way Dutch people tend to do it:
    about 50% vegetables
    about 25-35% starches (potatoes, rice, pasta etc)
    about 15-25% meat or meat replacement.

We were taught to see our plate as a clock: half an hour vegetables, 15-20 minutes potatoes and 10-15 minutes meat.

I love this. I have seen a similar "divided plate" scheme in doctors' offices in the USA and in the UK, and I think that is such a healthy way to eat. A few years ago,I lost 20 lbs doing that - not counting calories at all - just doing the divided plate thing. I am trying to get my husband to do this - at the moment, his typical plate is 60 minutes of pasta with 15 minutes of parmesan cheese - not a veg in sight!
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Yes that's fine, in fact I usually have something similar for dinner (500-600 grams of vegetables) along with something like kidney beans or tofu for protein. No, that's not too many veggies, unless you can't tolerate the fiber and it's what you eat the rest of the day along with dinner that's going to affect whether or not you lose weight.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    I also do this quite often. I'll just have a big salad, hardly any low fat dressing (50 cals, that's it) and a small can of tuna or 3/4 c. of chicken. I was also curious if this helps in my weight loss. I would be thinking yes as the veggies have some carbs and protein from the chicken and some fat from tuna...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    ONE HANDFUL OF PROTEIN

TWO HANDFULS OF VEG(not carrotts, tomatoes, beans/peas)