Pain in the backside - cycling/spin

Options
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem.

I am simply unable to cycle (either a bicycle or take a spin class) without getting a sore backside that lasts
for days. Initially I asked some people and was advised that I hadn't got the saddle at the right height (hip
height when standing beside it, right?) and I was also told that this happens at the start but if I push through
it I will be fine in a few weeks.

I have only ever taken 3 spin classes (non consecutively) and each time the same thing. I also started cycling
to work around two years ago and I stuck with it for 4 whole months but it didn't improve at all. I actually ended
up with brusises on my rear and got to the point where I would just cycle standing up and wouldn't sit down at all
because I just couldn't!

I bought a jelly saddle and padded shorts, I even wore two pairs of padded shorts at the same time (yes my bum
looked HUGE!!) but ity didn't help.

Can anyone help me?

Do you think it is because of the saddle height? Will it get better or should I just decide cycling isn't for me?

The reason I am asking is because last night I let my MFP buddie decide what class I would take in the gym and
I went for spin in the end. It was a tough cflass but I was sweating buckets and really feel that if I can just get past
the sore behind business I could loose tons of weight doing this.

I lost 3 stone in 2 months before when I was cycling but it near killed me. Plus when you are a girl and you stand on
your bike, lots of creepy drivers leer and whistle at you!!

Any advice would be awesome cause I really want to get past this, thanks xx

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Relax

You'll get use too it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sore bum normally comes from one or more of these:

Poor saddle (not much you can do with a Spinning bike but some people do use gel saddle covers). On your road bike if might be worth getting your local bike shop to measure you and suggest a new saddle.

Shorts - sounds like you have tried this!

Bike set-up - here's a simple set-up guide for Spinning ( http://spinning.com/file/download/tinymce_file_browser/76/Bike_Setup.pdf ) but also ask your instructor (I'm often horrified that instructors never seen to correct obvious problems unless asked, far too low seat height is very common...). For your road bike either go down to your local bike shop or cycle club for advice.

Cycling infrequently, the more you do the more you get acclimatised, if you are bruised after a ride let yourself recover before cycling again. So if it hurts for two days cycle again on the third day. Unfortunately there is a conditioning phase for most people hence the saying "to be a good cyclist you have to be able to endure pain".
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Honestly, it just takes a while to get used to it. I am so used to it now, I don't have to wear cycling shorts in the gym. I do however, if I am on my bike on the road. It does go away ........... eventually.............. :wink:
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is taking regular saddle breaks when you're on the bike :/ I don't really suffer too much from it.
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For outside of the gym- try taking your bike to a shop to get a fitting. Also, definitely the seat can be an issue, even seats that are perfect for some people just don't work for me (I'm talking super expensive cycling saddles). The large 'comfort' saddles can often be worse as they don't fit your pelvic bones very well.

Do you do any core work? If you have a weak core you sometimes slump on the seat putting a lot more weight in it than you should. The seat should be a support but if your weight is distributed correctly it won't be all of your weight.

Also, try changing your cadence- if you are pushing an easy gear and spinning very fast the 'bounce' from not being able to use your core to stabalise can be sore. Also, on the other end of the spectrum, if you are pushing a gear that is too big you end up recruiting your upper body as well which can kind of push you onto the saddle.

Hope these points make sense!
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have been cycling for a few years and every time I get a new bike/saddle it takes a while to get used to them as you normally have to break them this takes a few rides but after that you should be fine. If not ditch the saddle and get a different one, the cheap ones are not always the greatest and you can get women's specific saddles maybe worth spending a little on your own comfort.

Regarding the spinning I think, if you want to do it then you then you can suffer it and it gets easier.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Chamois cream.

You're welcome.

ETA: if this doesn't work after a few weeks and you have tried all the usual things (saddle height, bike fit, bib shorts, etc) then see a doctor as it is likely you have an undiagnosed medical condition.
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sore bum normally comes from one or more of these:

Poor saddle (not much you can do with a Spinning bike but some people do use gel saddle covers). On your road bike if might be worth getting your local bike shop to measure you and suggest a new saddle.

Shorts - sounds like you have tried this!

Bike set-up - here's a simple set-up guide for Spinning ( http://spinning.com/file/download/tinymce_file_browser/76/Bike_Setup.pdf ) but also ask your instructor (I'm often horrified that instructors never seen to correct obvious problems unless asked, far too low set height is very common...). For your road bike either go down to your local bike shop or cycle club for advice.

Cycling infrequently, the more you do the more you get acclimatised, if you are bruised after a ride let yourself recover before cycling again. So if it hurts for two days cycle again on the third day. Unfortunately there is a conditioning phase for most people hence the saying "to be a good cyclist you have to be able to endure pain".

Thanks hun, I will definitely look at this link after work. Will also try giving more time between rides instead of trying to keep pushing past it until I throw ther towel in!
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    For outside of the gym- try taking your bike to a shop to get a fitting. Also, definitely the seat can be an issue, even seats that are perfect for some people just don't work for me (I'm talking super expensive cycling saddles). The large 'comfort' saddles can often be worse as they don't fit your pelvic bones very well.

Do you do any core work? If you have a weak core you sometimes slump on the seat putting a lot more weight in it than you should. The seat should be a support but if your weight is distributed correctly it won't be all of your weight.

Also, try changing your cadence- if you are pushing an easy gear and spinning very fast the 'bounce' from not being able to use your core to stabalise can be sore. Also, on the other end of the spectrum, if you are pushing a gear that is too big you end up recruiting your upper body as well which can kind of push you onto the saddle.

I do core work but I am not anywhere near fit so I would say there is definitely a weakness there. Also the gear thing is definitely good advice, in spin class the instructor set my gears and then told us all when to increace/decrease it and by how much so l will definitely adjust this because evn though I wouldn't accuse myself of being fit I definitely have strong legs and I did think I was bouncing a lot at the beginning of the class. Maybe that when i broke my bum LOL :o)
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    Chamois cream.

You're welcome.

ETA: if this doesn't work after a few weeks and you have tried all the usual things (saddle height, bike fit, bib shorts, etc) then see a doctor as it is likely you have an undiagnosed medical condition.

Is that not for chaffing? Cause that's not the problem. I literally feel like I have a bruised hiney. Will this help? Thanks x
  • JodiSheehan
    Options
    hmm, Like everyone has said, it can take time...and its dependant on so many things including the distance between the seat and the handle bars...my hubby (a cyclist) fitted me with my bike and i have no issues now...however, in the gym, i get pins and needles down my legs due to the position of the bikes...
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    I have been cycling for a few years and every time I get a new bike/saddle it takes a while to get used to them as you normally have to break them this takes a few rides but after that you should be fine. If not ditch the saddle and get a different one, the cheap ones are not always the greatest and you can get women's specific saddles maybe worth spending a little on your own comfort.

Regarding the spinning I think, if you want to do it then you then you can suffer it and it gets easier.

I don't have a road bike anymore, I got rid of it after the third time I got knocked down! (BTW I am not one of thise lethal organ donor cyclists, I obeyed all the rules of the road but had a taxi pull in on top of me, a bus clip my head with it's mirror (thank God for helmets)
    and some eejit who ran the lights.....)

Anyways I was thinking of getting a new one and will definitely look into "lady" saddles, I didn't even know such a thing existed!
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    hmm, Like everyone has said, it can take time...and its dependant on so many things including the distance between the seat and the handle bars...my hubby (a cyclist) fitted me with my bike and i have no issues now...however, in the gym, i get pins and needles down my legs due to the position of the bikes...

Oooooh I wonder if you are on to something. I never looked into teh distance from the seat and the handle bars! I will definitely look into this, thanks hun x
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options

This, physical therapist approved post
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Chamois cream.

You're welcome.

Is that not for chaffing? Cause that's not the problem. I literally feel like I have a bruised hiney. Will this help? Thanks x

Honestly? Probably not if the other things haven't worked but really it's a case of ruling out all reasonable possibilities before you are left with seeing your doctor.

If you bruise easily or have bruising which does not resolve in an expected time frame then there is probably something else going on.
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    @msf74 - I'll give it a go sure, nothing to loose. Thanks x