Daily water intake question

Options
jolmbagpuss
jolmbagpuss Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Do you add your hot drinks ie. tea to your daily water intake?

I haven't been adding any hot drinks to mine, just adding my glasses of water which aren't enough really as only about 4 glasses a day. Unless I was to include tea and coffee.

Replies

• FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I haven't been adding mine to the water count, but I do add them to my food diary as a reminder that I drank them.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I haven't been adding mine to the water count, but I do add them to my food diary as a reminder that I drank them.

Same.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The only drink I add to my water is my water. All other drinks get listed in my food diary.
  • jolmbagpuss
    jolmbagpuss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This is exactly what I have been doing, adding any coffees etc to my food log and just adding the water. It is my mission though to drink the required amount in a day as only managing 4 glasses at the moment. But I know that drinking lots of water does fill you up more, well it does me anyway.
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too - I only add the water to the water intake and log all other fluids within my food diary.

I struggle to drink 2 litres of water a day, but find it easier to fill a 2 litre bottle with water and sip from that all day. I also prefer sparkling water, as it feels like something more and I can really make it special by adding ice and a chunk of lemon or lime!

*sigh* I need to get out more ;-)
  • 3wdl
    3wdl Posts: 45
    Options
    I've never bothered adding water to the diary - is there a good reason to do this?
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Same reason you keep your food log. You should intake a certain amount per day depending on your needs, this is a way to make sure you are getting enough. Also, if you ever need to look back and see what worked or didnt work during your weight loss, not taking in enough water could factor in.
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't add water consumption here, I find it pointless because I am sticking to my water routine...
    At work I am taking care to drink 0,5L of water every 2 hours, so that it comes up to 2L during work.
    It is most practical to me if I consume majority of my water intake during the work hours.

I peed a lot during adjustment phase LOL :)))
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    the only thing I count towards my water intake is actual water
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can add them to your daily water intake. They hydrate you.
    If they have calories, log that as well.
  • Rocky_ZG
    Options

Do you really think you should disregard drinks like non-sweetened tea?
  • sarbera
    Options
    Coffee and Tea are diuretics so even though they have water in them your body has to use MORE water to balance out the coffee or tea. So a good rule of thumb is every coffee or tea you have you should add two glasses of water.

So coffee and tea are okay but just make sure you are adding water to your daily intake. So don't count coffee or tea under water!

Hope that helps! :)

- Sarah
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

Do you really think you should disregard drinks like non-sweetened tea?

I don't disregard those drinks, I only count water because that's all I drink.... that isn't alcoholic
  • TheDoctor_13
    TheDoctor_13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do, well not my tea, I don't drink tea. but say I make a crystal light lemonade bottle for whatever reason. I log the packet as food, and drink half I up a cup of water. Don't see why it should'nt be that way. But It dosen't make a difference. Still drink 5 cups at most.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You can add them to your daily water intake. They hydrate you.
    If they have calories, log that as well.
    Exactly.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • Rocky_ZG
    Options
    Coffee and Tea are diuretics so even though they have water in them your body has to use MORE water to balance out the coffee or tea. So a good rule of thumb is every coffee or tea you have you should add two glasses of water.

So coffee and tea are okay but just make sure you are adding water to your daily intake. So don't count coffee or tea under water!

- Sarah

I think you are far off comparing tea and coffee regarding the diuretic effect...

This is what some experts say:
    http://theteamaestro.blogspot.com/2012/03/does-drinking-tea-produce-diuretic.html

"As I've said in previous posts, tea is almost 99% water. It is an important source of fluid and can count towards your daily intake of eight cups of fluid. Now the British Dietetic Association advises that tea can help you meet those daily requirements. Here are the latest findings—

Tea consumption does not produce a negative diuretic effect unless the amount of tea consumed at one sitting contains more than 300mg of caffeine. At an average 50mg of caffeine per cup, this is equivalent to six cups of tea at one sitting.

Single servings of caffeine at doses exceeding 300mg may have a diuretic effect. But there's a catch for those of us who don't count cups — a tolerance to caffeine develops so any diuretic effect is diminished in people who regularly drink tea.

A clinical study from the British Tea Advisory Panel (TAP) has proved that a cup of tea can be just as good as a glass of water at keeping your body hydrated. Sticking to the recommended four to eight cups of tea spread throughout the day gives the same quenching effects of water, without any diuretic side effects. "
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

- Sarah
    No, you are perpetuating a fallacy.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118
This discussion has been closed.