Never Been Normal...

Options
As far back as I remember, and this is documented in family photographs, I've been extremely overweight. I was born at 5 pounds, six ounces...but it didn't stay that way. I remember peeing my pants in third grade and the school nurse offering me about ten different pairs of pants that she had on hand (for these types of occassions) and none of them fit. I remember weighing in at 208 in 5th grade. Even at my lowest adult weight, I was still 298 pounds - at 5'10". I have never been "normal", though I've always been "extraordinary." :happy: Haha.

Like so many of you, I'm starting again after many successes and failures. This summer I lost my father to Parkinsons at the age of 61. He was trapped in his body for almost ten years and died unable to speak, swallow, and with his body completely wheelchair-bound. It seems to me now that every time I put a cheeseburger in my mouth, I am making a choice to remain trapped in my body. I am doing myself a great disservice and choosing a life for myself that limits my ability to experience so much in this world. My life is a gift. So about a month ago, I decided to start making better choices.

Part of the excitement of this journey will be discovering my body, my ability to move, and my energy levels as I become a "normal" weight. Since I've never had the ease of walking into a store, for instance, and buying a pair of jeans that fit; or been able to walk down the street and not been the focus of attention (negative); or been able to hike a mountain or rock climb or surf or do any of the things I wish I could do with my skin, muscle, and bones, I don't know what to expect. I don't know who I am if I'm not fat. I don't know how to live if it's not tugging along this weighty burden...so I'm a little scared too.

I am curious if any of you have attained a "normal" weight for the first time as an adult after losing 100 + pounds. What was that like for you? What did you discover about yourself and your place in the world? What was great and what was unexpectedly hard? I'd love to hear your stories...

Keep Smiling,
Abby xoxo

Replies

• lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Abby, first, I'd like to say that I'm sorry for the loss of your father.
    I applaud your decision to free yourself of your excess weight.
    I've also gotten tired of being the fattest person in...
    ...the room
    ...on the bus
    ...in my apartment complex
    ...at my workplace, etc., etc.
    I started my journey in July, and I have lost 35 pounds already,
    and I want to lose 120 more.
    There are sooo many folks on MFP who have lost 100+ pounds,
    and some have managed to do so in one year or less.
    The forums for Success Stories and Maintenance Stories are inspiring.
    There is also a forum for "Losing 100 Pounds Without Surgery".
    Best wishes!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It would be a wonderful way to honour your father. Best of luck on your journey. X BUMP!
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hello Abby - I am sorry to hear about your father. You must have had a really difficult and painful time. Well done on starting on your quest for an healthier lifestyle.

In my opinion nobody is 'normal' ... we are all unique and have our own personal traits, flaws and talents :flowerforyou:
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would add a note to say well done for starting your journey and many condolences on the loss of your father. I am not aiming for 100Ib weight loss but I do have a similar issue in a way in that I can imagine my goal but wonder whether I'll be satisfied when I reach it? Who will I be if I'm not losing weight? Will it be possible to look at my self and say 'yes I'm happy with this let's maintain it!' Will I need something to fill the void?
    The fact that you've started means you're miles ahead already, sometimes taking action is the hardest thing
    Billy x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!