LIFTING AT HOME

Options
I was looking forward to joining a gym and starting a lifting routine with the help of a trainer. However, circumstances have changed and it seems as if I will only be able to start training in the gym next year sometime. From reading the forums here it is clear that the results I want can be achieved by heavy lifting. What should I do? I don't have any equipment except two 5kg dumbbells and one 10kg kettle bell at home and may be able to invest in some additional equipment.

Replies

• jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Check the internet locally for used weight sets, benches, etc.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Bench, bar, rack and plates if you can. Otherwise, try a progressive bodyweight program or get some heavy resistance bands.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts. Ideally you want a bench, bar, and weights at home. Things like criag'slist can be great ways to find cheap stuff (I've bought and sold a lot of my gear that way). Most of that stuff is pretty durable, so buying used is a great option. Things like creative body weight movements and resistance bands can also be effective if you prefer to go that route.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Craigslist and Amazon are your friends :)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you plan on joining the gym in a few months, then i would checkout nerdfitness.com or convict conditioning for bodyweight workouts. If you plan on starting at home and continuing with that, then what other people suggested.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The crossfit article on how to build a basement gym will help you buy good weightlifting equipment. If it's only lifting you want you can ignore all the non-lifting related advice. http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/cfjissue1_Sep02.pdf

In short, I'd recommend cow mats/horse stall mats for the flooring (you can lay this down directly on the concrete floor if you want to skip the plywood), a squat rack, a flat bench, an olympic bar, and bumper plates. All of this can be fit into quite a small area.

Optionally I recommend a whiteboard (you'd be surprised how useful it is to see what you've done lately and write out what you're going to do next time) and a source of music or video (i.e. a TV/stereo/ipod/whatever).

Good luck
    Osric
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    new squat rack and bar set me back £220 (approx $300, i think) then just add the plates as you go (my dad build me a bench :)).

you could pick them up much cheaper second hand if you're in an area where that stuff is popular. working out at home is so much better than the gym, for me :)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    To do a program like starting strength (my recommendation) or stronglifts, what you need are a bench, a power rack, and olympic bar and weight plates.

I got a weight set and bench off craigslist for about $100, and deals like that pop up all of the time around here (lots of people who think working out at home will be fun, and then don't). The power rack is a little harder to find used. I built mine myself, I can link to the plans if you are interested, and that cost me about another $100. I have seen them come up used occasionally, and new they start around $3-400.

The last thing you'll need is some flooring. Heavy-duty rubber is recommended. You can get gym specific mats for more than $100 for a 4'x6' section, or go to a Tractor Supply Company (or similar) and get the exact same thing sold as horse stall mats for $34.99. The ones from TSC can sometimes smell a bit (made my basement smell like chicken feed for a week, because they were stored with the chicken feed) but you can air them out for a couple of days and they'll be fine.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    To do a program like starting strength (my recommendation) or stronglifts, what you need are a bench, a power rack, and olympic bar and weight plates.

I got a weight set and bench off craigslist for about $100, and deals like that pop up all of the time around here (lots of people who think working out at home will be fun, and then don't). The power rack is a little harder to find used. I built mine myself, I can link to the plans if you are interested, and that cost me about another $100. I have seen them come up used occasionally, and new they start around $3-400.

The last thing you'll need is some flooring. Heavy-duty rubber is recommended. You can get gym specific mats for more than $100 for a 4'x6' section, or go to a Tractor Supply Company (or similar) and get the exact same thing sold as horse stall mats for $34.99. The ones from TSC can sometimes smell a bit (made my basement smell like chicken feed for a week, because they were stored with the chicken feed) but you can air them out for a couple of days and they'll be fine.
    I an interested in the plans to build a power rack. I don't even know what a power rack is for, squats? Do you need a power rack when just starting SL 5x5? Keep in mind I will probably be starting with the bar only.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I an interested in the plans to build a power rack. I don't even know what a power rack is for, squats? Do you need a power rack when just starting SL 5x5? Keep in mind I will probably be starting with the bar only.

Yes, a power rack is for squats. It should be possible to find one for not too much money used. Even if you're squatting just the bar it is nice to be able to put it down at the right height between sets.

Osric
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Yes, a power rack is for squats. It should be possible to find one for not too much money used. Even if you're squatting just the bar it is nice to be able to put it down at the right height between sets.

Osric

It's also great safety for other lifts. Do you need one to bench, overhead press, etc? No, but it's not to not have a loaded bar sitting on your chest if you can't complete a rep.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Osric
    Thanks. I have been looking but haven't found a power rack. I don't live in a very populated area so it can be harder to find things.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Plans are at http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

That big wood thing in my profile picture is the rack I built. Basically, the point of the power rack is so that if you fail in some way while lifting (lose your balance, lose your grip, or just can't get the weight up) the "safeties" (the metal rods running horizontally) catch the bar and keep it from crushing and killing you, which I find to be preferable :).

The other use for the power rack is to hold the bar so that you can get into position to do a squat. There are ways to do squats without a power rack, and with light weights it isn't strictly necessary, but it will make the entire process easier, and it is much safer, especially if you are lifting alone.

There's other things you can do in the power rack. I bench in mine too, set the safeties so that if I fail benching the bar won't crush me. If you get really serious about lifting there are a lot of useful assistance exercises you can do in a power rack too, but that will come after you've finished the Stronglifts or Starting Strength programs.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I lift at home. I just have various dumbells, PowerBlocks and a bench. I am now looking for a squat rack so I can use my barbells and plates that are in storage.

Look for used, you'll save a load of money. I bought my bench for cheap off someone and it is mint and a higher quality bench.