Fiber

Options
I generally eat way too little fiber. Can someone please give me some tips on how to increase fiber intake without a whole lot of calories. Also what does fiber really do for you?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    High fiber oatmeal at breakfast. Beans of any kind (I really enjoy black beans or baked beans as a side dish with dinner). A lot of whole wheat or corn products have a good bit of fiber too.

Fiber helps keep your digestive system moving. Soluble fiber is also good for improving your lipid profile (cholesterol levels).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Fruits (particularly berries), vegetables, nuts, beans and whole grains.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a fiber smart powder I put 1 tablespoon of in my oatmeal. Its all natural and has no dairy, soy, gluten, additives or natural flavors and such. So is just 100% natural fiber. I do this because I also don't get enough fiber, so between that and my vitamin pill I hit high on my fiber :)
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I make smoothies I try to use raspberries -- loads of fiber. I just bought some frozen pomegranate seeds -- really high in fiber, though I haven't tried them yet. Apples are great too. Beans, as noted, are high in fiber and protein.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into fiber supplements?
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    My fiber goal is 40g/day and I reach it more often than not. Here are my go-to choices::
    • clear fiber powder = 3g/serving
    • medium Fuji/Gala apple = 5g
    • black beans = 9g/srv
    • large banana = 3g
    • Fiber One choc. bar = 9g
    • Almonds (dry roasted; no sodium) = 5g/srv
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Fiber 1 cereal, 14g of fiber per serving, 60 calories
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My fiber goal is 40g/day and I reach it more often than not. Here are my go-to choices::
    • black beans = 9g/srv
    • large banana = 3g

40?? Why so high?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    • black beans = 9g/srv
    • large banana = 3g

40?? Why so high?

He gets a lot of bathroom breaks.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    • black beans = 9g/srv
    • large banana = 3g

Diabetic?
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My fiber intake is supposed to be 55g/day, but that's super unrealistic for me.

I use the clear fiber powder, lots of berries, apples, beans, and dark green leafy vegetables. I also go to wheat breads instead of white. If I am short for the day, I usually just go to the calorie powder and work it into my drinks for the day. It's tasteless.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My fiber intake is supposed to be 55g/day, but that's super unrealistic for me.

I use the clear fiber powder, lots of berries, apples, beans, and dark green leafy vegetables. I also go to wheat breads instead of white. If I am short for the day, I usually just go to the calorie powder and work it into my drinks for the day. It's tasteless.

55?? According to who?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My go to is a breakfast smoothie made with raspberries or blackberries and chia seed amongst other things.
    Vegetables generally have decent fiber and low calories.

As far as recommended intake:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Good link.

and good recommendations by others for sources of fiber.

my favs are Quaker Oats High Fiber Oatmeal.
    nuts, veggies, and fruit.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Flaxseed is a good additive to shakes and yoghurts. High in iron and omega fats too.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any bread in your diet? Switch to a high-fiber bread for your toast or sandwiches. I get 8 grams in two pieces of toast every morning. Then I eat an apple at lunch for 5 grams. Those right there get me halway to my daily goal.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1 Tablespoon Bulk Barn psyllium husk = 6 g total fibre, 3 g soluble.
    Much higher than oat bran. Cheap as dirt.

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/seeds/baking/psyllium-husk.html
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I generally eat way too little fiber. Can someone please give me some tips on how to increase fiber intake without a whole lot of calories. Also what does fiber really do for you?

Buy a good quality cereal. My cereal gives me 20 grams of fiber - 1 1/2 cups just for breakfast.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I mix dry oatmeal in my greek yogurt every day.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I take psyllium husk powder in the morning, it's a natural root powder that literally is pure fiber.