Vegan

Hi Everyone-

I am new to this community and I am wondering if anyone out there is vegan.

I have been vegan (no meat, dairy, eggs) for 2 years for ethical reasons, but hoped I would lose weight as well.

I don't drink soda, I only eat whole grains, I don't drink alcohol, and I walk to work in the morning (about 15 min walk).

I feel like I live a moderately healthy lifestyle, but yet I am still border line overweight.

I am 5ft 4in and weigh 140 lbs. It's mainly in my midsection.

I am looking for advice that people may have and/or another veg friend for support in my healthy living journey.

Thanks.

Replies

• jmain2qr
    jmain2qr Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Everyone-

I am new to this community and I am wondering if anyone out there is vegan.

I have been vegan (no meat, dairy, eggs) for 2 years for ethical reasons, but hoped I would lose weight as well.

I don't drink soda, I only eat whole grains, I don't drink alcohol, and I walk to work in the morning (about 15 min walk).

I feel like I live a moderately healthy lifestyle, but yet I am still border line overweight.

I am 5ft 4in and weigh 140 lbs. It's mainly in my midsection.

I am looking for advice that people may have and/or another veg friend for support in my healthy living journey.

Thanks.
  • punkycharlotte
    punkycharlotte Posts: 1 Member
    :happy: I'm vegan too! I exercise as much as possible, though (but I eat A LOT! :frown: ). And I didn't lose as much weight as I thought I would went I went vegan. It will be 2 years for me in May. I was a vegetarian for around 4-5 years before that.
  • Delindy
    Delindy Posts: 24 Member
    First of all...being a vegan takes a lot of work and I amend you.
    THE GREAT AMERICAN DETOX DIET and THE HIP CHICK'S GUIDE TO MACROBIOTICS
    have some GREAT vegan recipes that are super healthy. I was a vegetarian and an on again off again vegan for a long time. I never ever lost weight because I thought that just because it was vegan it was healthy and not going to make me gain weight no matter how much I ate. As you know, this is not true. I still only eat fish and stay away from dairy products (except plain yogurt and the occasional cheese with my wine).

Some other advice...that I don't follow (hahaha)....is to gradually add five or ten more minutes on to your exercise routine each week. Challenge yourself a little bit more. Also...add strength training. I just started adding just 20 minutes to my routine this week and I feel stronger and more aware of my body because of it.
  • i am a vegetarian. i tried to be vegan but it was too hard to live without chocolate. anyways although a vegan diet is very healthy it is difficult to get enough protein and very easy over eat carbs. so try eating more tofu, fruits, and veggies over grains. also know how many calories you consume in a day and how many carbs. some healthy grains are very high in calories