Can you use your exercise calories tomorrow?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't work on a 24 hour cycle. We just come up with methods to use existing time frames. I actually do my exercise at the very end of my day, log it into the following day, and eat back all those calories. Been doing that from the start. So I am proof it works not just occasionally, but daily if you wish.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE then no, you dont eat back calories but if you are using this process, you know that already.

I eat a little more in the weekends and I have a little extra "space" in the weekdays. This seems to work for me. So, If you are doing it the MFP way, then yes... But honestly, if you are full why do you have to eat more?
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yep. Personally, I "bank them" but consider them expired after 2 days.

FYI: Plenty of thought and trial-and-error went into my 2-day rule...

I like this idea. :-)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely eat those calories the next day, even a few days later. When we have a family bbq picnic comming up, sometimes i will eat only a 400 calorie bowl of cereal the night before just so i can pig out all day at the picnic. Always worked for me.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Yep. Personally, I "bank them" but consider them expired after 2 days.

FYI: Plenty of thought and trial-and-error went into my 2-day rule...

I do this also but if I know I have some strenuous exercise coming up I will borrow against my future bank. For instance I am playing 36 holes of golf tomorrow so I will eat more today if I feel like it.

It's all about the weeks average for me.
  • firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I definitely do this! I usually work out 5 days a week, but Tuesdays and Saturdays I do Zumba and Body Pump back to back. Rather than eating an extra 700+ cals on those two days, I usually bump up my Wednesdays and Sundays a little as well. I think it's fine as long as it evens out over the week.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A lot of people view the calorie goals on a weekly schedule. I personally am saving up my exercising for tablegating (tailgating but watching the game on TV instead). Sausage dip and beer. Mmm. I already have 900ish saved up!
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    On the mobile app there is a daily view and a weekly view ... if everything balances up at the end of the week then you're still on target. Weight isn't gained in one day and it isn't lost in one day, it takes balance and time.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can eat them tomorrow. Or next week or next year. It's all calories in and calories out. It's how we got overweight in the first place.

I don't move exercise calories into other days, though. I log 'em where they are. I'm low one day and over on another. It all works out in the end.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I hiked 10 miles today and burned like 500 calories. But in not feeling so good. I've reached my normal calorie goal for tonight, but I'm wondering if I could log the 500 calories for tomorrow and eat them then?

How do you hike 10 miles and only burn 500 calories? I think you left out a digit.
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I usually like to keep myself on a daily pattern so I am not too irregular in my diet. I know you said this is a one time occurrence, but I feel better if I count my workout and food for the day that I ate it. That way the next day I won't tell myself, "I didn't eat these 300 calories, but I should be fine to eat that today..." I would personally get myself in big trouble by thinking in that mindset.
  • sc0ttm0
    Options
    I'm going tailgating a week from saturday.
    Would fasting on Thursday and Friday allow me to eat 4 brats? :happy:

Personally, I like to beat daily goals... I feel bad when I go over, even if I bank a few the day before. However, the body is a complex machine and looking at 'banking' calories is pretty simplistic.

I like the posts regarding going two days back, but I'd be cautious about incremental justification. Maybe one day would be better...
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Week to week average works out better for me than day to day, and so far it's worked fine.
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! I work in a weekly 'block' and allocate my calories to make sure I don't go (well most of the time) over my calories. This week I spent four hours working off a fabulous Saturday night of oysters, cheese and red wine I don't regret for a second. I feel in control of what I eat, it allows me to go out for nice meals ocassionally, special events, have a glass of wine on a Friday and most importantly it keeps me on track and losing weight. Whatever works for you.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! I work in a weekly 'block' and allocate my calories to make sure I don't go (well most of the time) over my calories. This week I spent four hours working off a fabulous Saturday night of oysters, cheese and red wine I don't regret for a second. I feel in control of what I eat, it allows me to go out for nice meals ocassionally, special events, have a glass of wine on a Friday and most importantly it keeps me on track and losing weight. Whatever works for you.

Cannot agree more.

Ok we are all on a weight loss goal but we should still have a life. I to work on a weekly goal, work really hard for 5 days and enjoy 2 days. As long as the weight comes off I am happy.