bulging discs

Options
So I have bulging discs, C3 to C6, and I have been told no more walking. It will put my neck into pain again, wich it does :( But I can bike and elliptical, they haven't gotten back on me yet if I can do Pilates yet. Now I am 5'1" and 140 I want to lose the extra unhealthy weight and to tone up my body. Any ideas on an exercise plan, I have never had to workout for a body before, but after two kids I do I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Replies

• Azraele
    Azraele Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Doctor question
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Listen to the doctor. Ask detailed, specific questions about exercise options. Let things heal as recommended - things can get a lot worse with bulging discs. While healing, you can still work on improving your diet, and that can make a significant difference.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ask doctor. I would think maybe water exercises and some sort of physical therapy is in order.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor or physiotherapist and please, for the love of everything holy, do NOT listen to anyone else.
  • bwd72
    bwd72 Posts: 5
    Options
    Generally speaking, low impact exercises are best. Swimming is usually excellent exercise for all kinds of spinal rehab. BUT, as with the others, no one really knows the extent of your injuries (and therefore can't really advise you) except for the medical providers who have worked on your case.

Being a provider myself, I *am* interested in why they are advising no walking because of bulging discs in your c-spine. Walking is typically low impact, and therefore unlikely to put a lot of strain on your cervical column and exacerbate your symptoms. However, as above, only the people who know your case should advise you.

-BWD.
  • shelleywhite980
    Options
    I certainly agree with the water exercise. Having had both a herniated disk and also the one below it bulging and ready to go as well, believe me you need to take it very easy on yourself. You don't want that bulge to herniate.

But you MUST move. That is one of the most important things, as blood flow is needed to nourish the area. It can't heal without exercise.

Do lots of research on bulging discs, because - I was told my back would not improve without surgery, from both doctors and my chiropractor. However, I wasn't going to let them cut a bit of me out, that I needed. it took a long time, but I am now almost 100% again.

Check this site for the program I used to both exercise without doing further damage - and to heal my back: http://www.backpainsolutions.org/

Good luck and hang in there, it can get better if you work at it. :-)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor or physiotherapist and please, for the love of everything holy, do NOT listen to anyone else.

Rofl, THIS ^

****, your doctor told you no walking... that's about as easy/light as it gets. Talk to your doctor.

Shellywhite9 seemed to write a nice reply. Print it, and discuss it... WITH YOUR DOCTOR lol
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with bulging disks in my lower back now. Was on a muscle relaxer for a time and now am doing Physical Therapy. I am hoping that will solve the problem. I can walk, but not run, jog or even ride my road bike. It takes time and patience. Hang in there, it will get better.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I was in a car wreck in April and also have bulging discs. The first month my doctor said no exercise. When I went back to see him after a month he released me to do as much as I could tolerate. He did say no Zumba or very strenuous workouts. He also said to stretch, stretch and stretch. I guess it all depends on your doctor and the degree of your condition. I would go back and let him know your concerns. Tell him everything you just posted here so he knows your issues. If you aren't happy with his recommendations you could always get a second opinion.

Good luck :)