Congestive Heart Failure - I thought I was going to die

Options
This morning was my first week. Of the rest of my life. A week ago today I really thought I was a GONER! I had already been in and out of work for the few days prior. But for the first time in my life SOMETHING felt different. It wasn't a good difference.

Those 4 days prior to 10/11 were crazy. I had just lost 20 pounds in 2 days from water weight that went to to my feet legs and stomach. I had NO CLUE how I had gained 28 pounds in about 3 weeks without really eating. My energy lever went completely in the tank. I was putting all of my efforts into working my new job and when I went home I would just watch tv or go to bed. I could never catch my breath. Was it bronchitis or pneumonia? I had to force myself to breath. It was cray!

Until the Friday night that changed my life. I decided I was going to feel better whether I wanted to or not. So I made a drink 9rum with cranberry juice). Lit a cigar and puffed away. After a few hours I decided to go to bed. I stood up and the most incredible PAIN I had experienced in my WHOLE LIFE over came my rib-cage. My knee surgery, break-ups and fights rolled up into one didn't hurt like that. I couldn't explain the feeling but I remembered thinking. I AM GOING TO DIE.

I sat back down fighting off tears. I picked up the phone and called my son's mom. I told her how I felt. She urged me to go to the hospital but I had been to the doctor 3 times that week. My feet went from normal size to the incredible Hulk size back to David banner size in about 3 days.

I sat up in my lazy boy after 5 failed attempts at lying down on my bed. Every time I tried it felt like someone STABBED me in the ribs and twisted the knife. To make matters worse I tried to "crack" my back and OMG that was by far the worst idea I ever came up with. In fact I believe I passed out shortly after that from the immense pain.

By the time I woke up I was in so much pain I couldn't even move. Somehow though I mustered up enough strength to DRIVE MYSELF to the emergency room. When people say being single "sucks" this is the number one thing that sucks about it. It was the first time I realized I don't really have anyone to rely on in case of emergency!!

Fast forward to after admission, being seen by a doctor(s), explained I lost 20 pounds off diuretics in 2 days but had gained 30 in 2 weeks prior, receiving a CATSCAN and FINALLY being diagnosed correctly. I had a blood clot in my lung.

The GREAT PEOPLE at Memorial Hermann (Memorial City location) saved my life. They had already diagnosed the problem and immediately started me on blood thinners and morphine. After a couple days I started to get my energy back. I was ready to go but they weren't quite ready for me to leave. The said they wanted to take a closer look at my heart. I felt fine and actually declined to do that but they insisted doing a echocardiogram. So here I am flirting with the cute lil nurse doing the procedure make her blush laugh and smile...until her laugh went silent and she looked like she wanted to cry. For the rest of the procedure she wouldn't say anything look at me or laugh at my jokes. I KNEW right them I was in serious trouble.

I had CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE

And I was. my valves were at 50% of a normal persons. I have always been healthy or at least attempted to. I have never been grossly overweight and at one time competed as a body builder, been a personal trainer, spinning instructor, overall athlete. So then I went on the internet. BAD IDEA. What could've caused this? Vitamin K? I wasn't a drug user. I barely drank. I smoked cigars on occasion. What did I miss? All these classes I've taught or taken were for naught? What did I miss?

That it was hereditary. My mom HAD it. My grandfathers had it. Cousins. But I never though it was prone to it. But I was wrong. The doctor said there was nothing I COULD HAVE done to have this happen to me. What I didn't realize was..actually finding out saved my life!

Instead of never knowing I was now forced to live EXTREMELY HEALTHY. And that I have started. Not a drop of alcohol, cigars or COFFEE in the past week. Funny thing is they are ALL In MY HOUSE but I lost the desire to partake. Both alcohol and coffee make me wanna smoke a cigar. I CAN"T DO THAT EVER AGAIN regardless of how little the amount is.

So after the Angiogram (where my arteries are WIDE OPEN) I left the hospital. People were surprised I came back to work so quickly but I needed the distraction. I also am not a construction worker..lol. I talk to people on the phone selling large businesses internet and voice services. Not exactly getting my hands dirty. If you need a PRI or 10 gigs of internet for your company I am your guy..lol.

But now for the first time I can see the second half of my life. It started last Friday. Ironically my timer on MFP reset on that day also. I may just start over to remind myself what I went though on that day and how I have to live here on out.

Replies

• deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    And God is soooooo good!

I'm glad you are still here. Keeping you in my prayers.....
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    And God is soooooo good!

I'm glad you are still here. Keeping you in my prayers.....

thank you :0)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this more with us my friend. Anytime you want someone to talk to please pm me ok? Take care.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm glad you went to the hospital so you can be here now. *hugs*
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Take care. My father has just been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. It's it for sissies.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Woah. I'm glad you're feeling better, Big Ced.
  • Rigi8
    Rigi8 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us - just makes us stop and take stock of life. Best wishes
  • Bankman1989
    Options
    Thank you and I will be a lot more active on here when work permits. I hope that your father pulls thru that kitkat. my mother had it and beat it! She walks about a marathon a week (or more) and is a size 2-4. She is in terrific shape at 71.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love this! Thank-you for sharing! And welcome to the rest of your life! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your new journey and health
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you for sharing!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hey Big C! I'm so glad you are feeling and doing better. God is good and now that you know what you have you can move forward. Thanks for sharing and I'll be keeping you in my prayers!
  • Bankman1989
    Options
    I am happy and excited as well Lindo! Thank you Katie, HDub and YogaNikki! I hope this helps someone who hasn't been to the doctor recently whether you are healthy or not.
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow Ced this is all flabbergasting! So glad u made it through! God is amazing in his works!!!
  • Bankman1989
    Options
    Thank you Stacey.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you are okay, and you are feeling better!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Take care. My father has just been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. It's it for sissies.

It isn't for sissies! Sorry about the typo.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Soooo glad you're ok!!!! Makes one realize the "important" things on life. God is good and has blessed you! Still praying my friend! :flowerforyou:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you are okay, and you are feeling better!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You have my thoughts and good vibes, glad you are feeling better! I have PAH, which can lead to heart failure like that and I have been able to keep it at bay so far, but it is a risk and scares me to death. But we all keep fighting, don't we!!! BE WELL!!!!