Need help with low carb vegetarian diet!

Options
I've recent rejoined mfp after a huge Europe trip, and am trying a low carb diet. I've been a vegetarian for 4 years but have just started eating fish- I'm eating clean ( as possible) and apart from oats in the morning, I've cut out all pasta, potatoes, bread, and processed foods. I'm trying my best to keep my carbs low, but keep ending up with over 100g per day!
Do I need to cut out fruit totally as well?!

Feel free to look at my diary and give me suggestions as to how I can Improve and further lower my carb intake!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You can try Egg (whole/egg white), Soy, Spinach, Nuts, Milk & milk product (low fat), Tofu etc.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    flaxseed has almost no net carbs and is pretty yummy on salads
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    All plants have carbohydrates. If you're eating a mostly vegetarian diet you can't avoid carbs. Fruit is good for you. Carbs are good for you. Your body needs them to function.

I think you're talking about cutting out the carbs that make easy weight gain and have little or no nutrition, like most bread, sugary cereals, white rice, white potatoes, and pasta.

I took a quick look at your diary. Your sodium is high. Processed food has a lot of sodium, which will make your body retain water weight. If you make something yourself you can reduce or eliminate the sodium.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    All plants have carbohydrates. If you're eating a mostly vegetarian diet you can't avoid carbs. Fruit is good for you. Carbs are good for you. Your body needs them to function.

I think you're talking about cutting out the carbs that make easy weight gain and have little or no nutrition, like most bread, sugary cereals, white rice, white potatoes, and pasta.

I took a quick look at your diary. Your sodium is high. Processed food has a lot of sodium, which will make your body retain water weight. If you make something yourself you can reduce or eliminate the sodium.
    I'm sorry, white potatoes make easy weight gain and little or no nutrition? :noway:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview/Ways-to-Customize-Atkins,-Your-Diet-Plan/Atkins-for-Vegetarian.aspx

Oats are very carby - especially with brown sugar !

Eat fish without breadcrumbs

Flavoured yoghurts (especially honey) will have added carbs and sugars

Carrot is a higher carb vegetable. banana is the highest carb fruit.

You can get everything from vegetables (which you're already eating) that an apple gives you, without the extra sugar.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, white potatoes make easy weight gain and little or no nutrition? :noway:

You're right, white potatoes have nutrition, but sweet potatoes are a better deal for both nutrition and calories.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/03/white-potatoes-vs-sweet-potatoes-which-is-healthier/
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Read "Eat to Live".
    Check the website too.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

i was about to bark, too.. thats complete and utter BS... brown rice aint special either... most all cereals are fortified with vitamins... pasta is just fine....

sweet potatoes, oats, brown rice, and whole wheat garbage are not magical or superior
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    100g IS low carb! If you didn't hit 100g, I'd be very worried you weren't eating enough vegetables (not just for a vegetarian...for anyone!). On South Beach and things like that they used to say "no more than 20g carbs" but that didn't include veggies- those were a "free" food except for a few starchy ones like potatoes.

I don't see the point of focusing on arbitrary carb numbers. I do see the point in eating more healthy fat and tons of veggies (which are carbs...) while eating less added sugar and starchy carbs like rice and bread. We don't need sugar and bread carbs; we DO need veggie carbs. Focus on where you're getting your carbs from, not an arbitrary 'carb limit'. If you add more healthy fat, protein and veggies to your diet, there naturally won't be room for starchy carbs anyway!

Personally, I usually have 1-2 servings of "grain" carbs a day- like oatmeal or quinoa or a low-carb whole grain tortilla. We need whole grains still, although there isn't room for much in my calories after I get my protein, 6-8 servings of veggies and 1-2 servings of fruit in!

Edit- I looked at your diary. Lots of your carbs are coming from added sugar- not good! Sauces, your oatmeal, etc all have lots of sugar. Switch to plain oatmeal and add your own fruit and/or stevia, for starters. Doing "low carb" means no added sugars. I'm not that strict myself (if I'm in my calories, who cares) but if lower carb is your goal, sugar is your problem.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    google "vegetarian ketogenic" and you might find answers.... doesnt sound like a great diet plan to me, though... too many exclusions...
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Firstly, how low carb are you trying to go? Are you going 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat, or Atkins, or Paleo or something else? Make sure you have clear targets regardless.

Secondly, whichever diet you're going with, it will help enormously to alter your macro targets on here to reflect it.

Thirdly, you've got to treat your macros, including your daily calories, as targets not limits. You're seriously undereating on some days and this will at best set you up to fail and at worst leave you with health problems.

I'm a pescetarian on 40/30/30 and though I'm now in maintenance you might get some ideas from my diary. Protein powder, tuna and healthy oils are your go-to foods, as you'll have to consume more fat & protein regardless if you want to stay healthy.

Feel free to add me if you want ongoing advice, and good luck!
  • FitVego
    FitVego Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Will definetely try to cut down on sodium, and eat more plain yoghurt and plain oats! - things with less added sugar.
    I've cut out sugar in tea, any cakes or sugary foods except for fruit and only 'straight' carbs is a rare bit of sushi or oats in the morning :)

I know I can eat fish without breadcrumbs, but I'm not too comfortable with fish- so breadcrumbed makes it easier for me to eat!

I'm actually very very proud of myself for eating so little processed food when I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth!

If anyone else has any other ways I can be even HEALTHIER please feel free to contribute, I would really appreciate any help :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cheese
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've recent rejoined mfp after a huge Europe trip, and am trying a low carb diet. I've been a vegetarian for 4 years but have just started eating fish- I'm eating clean ( as possible) and apart from oats in the morning, I've cut out all pasta, potatoes, bread, and processed foods. I'm trying my best to keep my carbs low, but keep ending up with over 100g per day!
    Do I need to cut out fruit totally as well?!

Feel free to look at my diary and give me suggestions as to how I can Improve and further lower my carb intake!

Thanks everyone!

Is there a reason you're going low carb, like a medical reason? Otherwise there's really no point to cutting them really low-weight loss is about calories. I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet following Dr. Fuhrman's recommendation of a diet of 90% whole plant foods and then 10% left open for meat and dairy, fast food, home baked goods etc. I'm in maintenance and even though I'm not trying to lose weight I've steadily been losing since I switched over to this way of eating (hit yet another new low last week and I'll be hitting a new low this week too sheesh). I don't track calories and macros anymore but I know I'm eating over 200 carbs a day on average from veggies, fruit, green smoothies, beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes etc. You can definitely lose weight eating more than 100 carbs a day :smile:
  • FitVego
    FitVego Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps for the help!
    I have tried to go low carb because I read that it's best for weight loss quickly and is easy to follow.
    However, being vegetarian I'm fining it quite difficult!
    If I were to go 100% strict, I would only be eating vegetables, tofu and fish all day! And I'd go insane!
    I love oats because they keep me going all day, so I'm not willing to kick them out all together.

Will I still lose weight if my carbs are around 120 a day, but my calories are on/under 1200 calories a day and I'm eating clean?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    A 100 carbs a day is fairly low imo I've been losing eating under 200 a day. But since you're actually pescatarian, not vegetarian I don't think you would have a problem going low carb unless you eat breaded fish
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Come on !!! There is no low carb vegetarian diet!!. There is a starch diet but you must not exclude natural carbohydrates!!

Just lay off pasta, bread and other man made carbs and eat wholesome complex carbs - plenty of rice and potatoes. You cannot exclude those. Your ancestors thrived on them for thousands of years!!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    And here at last - an enlightened person - hence the great weight loss whilst staying on healthy food. People should take note and listen
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fish is not vegetarian