food with iron

Options
I often get low iron and it makes me so tired all the time and I feel like I have no energy to do anything.. I was wondering if anyone knows of any foods I can get that are high in iron but that are also low in fat? (I don't eat red meat though). If anyone has any tips of high iron foods I can add to my diet that are also healthy and don't have a lot of calories that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Ainsley
    Ainsley Posts: 20
    Options
    I often get low iron and it makes me so tired all the time and I feel like I have no energy to do anything.. I was wondering if anyone knows of any foods I can get that are high in iron but that are also low in fat? (I don't eat red meat though). If anyone has any tips of high iron foods I can add to my diet that are also healthy and don't have a lot of calories that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well while I know that there are quite a few healthy high-iron foods out there, I find it easiest to take a vitamin supplement specially for women with low iron. It has extra iron, and it also has vitamin C and other nutrients. Vitamin C in particular helps absorption of iron, so it might help to eat oranges or some other food high in vitamin C along with beans or whichever high-iron food (or supplement) you choose to eat. I find that particularly helpful, since I donate plasma, something that I am not allowed to do if my iron is too low, and also something that can reduce your iron at the same time. Just my two cents.
  • Clun1990
    Clun1990 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    there is lots of foods you can eat that are low in cals that have iron in like leafy green vegetables, blackstrap molasses, pulses such as lentils and kidney beans, and some dried fruits.all of which are low in cals try someand see how you get on Laura:smile:
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    Broccoli is very good, but kale is the best, baby kale is nicer as its not as bitter......