suggestions for a simple home weights routine

Options
OK - I'm a recently turned 40 y/o mom. I started in January and slowly lost 40 lbs to get to my goal weight. I've maintained fro almost 4 months (+/- 3-4 pounds). I still track my food, eat to an average every week, walk 2-5 miles around 4 days a week (usually while one of my kids is at practice) wtih a little jogging here and there (knee draws up after 1.5 miles). Feeling good about the lifestyle.

Anyhow - with 3 kids (HS, MS, and elementary) and a busy school/sports schedule and the weather turning colder, I want to add some basic weight routines in at home. Just looking to tone some. I have a 8lb kettle bell, a basic "all in one" pully machine I can use, and of course the usual situp, plank, squat, etc. Is there a good basic "do it home" plan to follow. What exercises would be best to add a little strength and definition? Favorites? Should I follow a pattern - planks and kettlebell one day, squats and leg lifts another, ?? I really don't know the best approach.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Try searing terms like "home routine" and "body weight exercises"
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've heard a book called "You Are Your Own Gym" tossed around. That should keep you progressing and hitting your goals for a while.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've heard a book called "You Are Your Own Gym" tossed around. That should keep you progressing and hitting your goals for a while.

^^^ This. I love this book. The bodyweight exercises are great and scaled from easy to very difficult. All the "equipment" is just stuff you should have around your home.
  • sjkcwatson
    sjkcwatson Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks - I remember reading about that book - may have to try it.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

One caveat, is that you will eventually have to make things heavier than bodyweight, at which point weights will be necessary. But since you're just starting out, this should suit you fine for now or maybe even help you hit your goals, depending.