ATKINS starting it... anyone done it?

Options
Hi, after I went down with another bout of depression I pilled on the pounds again - compulsive eating for which I'm still waiting for an NHS appointment-, lack of energy, social isolation, ... you name it: that was me.

So, I am now heavier than I have every been, and I've decided to start the ATKINS diet, just because it is supposed to cheer me up at the sight of some fast results. I don't intend to follow the diet for a long period, given that doctors are very vocal when it comes to the cons of this diet, but I really need to try something to help me at this stage. I am really down with this weight thing hanging over me, and I no longer know whether I am depressed because of my weight, or if my weight is a consequence of my depression....

Has anyone out there tried the ATKINS diet? Do you have any tips for me?

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions - I'd really appreciate it!
Cat

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I was fairly successful for a year (lost 45 pounds) but didn't find it sustainable. i went on vacation and found it very difficult to stay on the diet and when the vacation was over, I just couldn't bring myself to go back on it and I started slowly regaining the weight. You're right, it can give you quick loss results but if you're not careful, you can also quickly regain.

Seems to me if your doctor doesn't approve of the diet, there's probably a good reason for it. However, if you insist on doing it anyway, I would VERY STRONGLY urge you to follow the diet exactly. Meaning, buy the book, read it cover to cover and follow exactly what it says. There can be some health consequences with low carb, high protein diets so if you're going to do one, you need to make sure you do it right.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Finishing it up, there are many, many groups dedicated to Atkins and other low-carb styles.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/5181-atkins-support-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

Both are open to join, and have wonderful, supportive members.

Those two groups have the answers to pretty much every question asked about Atkins tips.

I've been on it since June 3rd of this year. I've lost over fifty lbs since then, it works well for me.

Be well, be safe, good luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You need to get a lipid panel test when doing this diet to make sure it's okay for you. My cholesterol went above 300 on the ATKINS diet even though I was losing weight. I was down 20 pounds and it was above 300, very shocking. It's fine for most people but there is a small group of people who's cholesterol will continue to rise on this type of diet. The lipid panel test is to see if you fall into the group that can have an adverse reaction to a diet high in fats.
  • CatarinaF
    CatarinaF Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!
    I couldn't find that support group in the first place!!!

Your story is inspirational, I'll stick to the letter and follow the "rules" - I imagined I would need a vitamin supplement.

Again, many many thanks!!
  • CatarinaF
    Options
    :) Thank you Minnie!!!
    I will bear in mind what you've told me - I guess there are rules for a reason. Basically, I just want to feel a bit more positive about my whole situation, and maybe loosing a few pounds quickly will help.

Many thanks for replying!!!
  • CatarinaF
    Options
    I see, did your doctor asked you to do one before you started the diet?
    What type of meat do you eat? I was thinking of restricting to turkey and chicken..... staying away from fattier stuff like pork sausages and pies, beef and lamb.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What type of meat do you eat? I was thinking of restricting to turkey and chicken..... staying away from fattier stuff like pork sausages and pies, beef and lamb.

Are you asking me? My doctor told me to do a low fat diet but i went ahead and did the ATKINS diet anyway. I was eating 15 whole eggs every other week and and 1 pound of steak every week. On top of that I'd also eat bacon. I had good sources of fat every day that included salmon, chicken, and olive oil. That was daily on top of the eggs, red meat, and bacon. Atkins diet is a high fat diet. If you stick to just turkey, grilled chicken, and vegetables than you should be fine but you should still get a lipid panel test once a month after a diet change like this to see how good it is for you. There are some places that allow you to get a lipid panel test without having to see the doctor at only 40$. Seeing the doctor is the most expensive part of the visit, at least for me it is.

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Sorry to chime in twice, but:

Absolutely buy (or borrow from the library) this book at minimum, and I suggest you talk to your doctor about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060598387

51ESfkhzbVL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago, and had great success with it. If I recall... and the book, and groups here will correct me if I'm wrong... but the Atkins plan, includes a maintenance plan for life. So, if you're gonna get with the Atkins program, you should be prepared to adapt the low-carb lifestyle forever.

OR...... have some kind of a transition / exit plan to get back to eating whatever kind of lifetime diet you plan to adopt. After I'd lost the weight with Atkins, I slowly transitioned back to a more 'traditional, healthy' diet.... with the help of a nutritionist. I maintained the really great health I'd gained for quite awhile... before I let ridiculous circumstances completely derail what I'd accomplished.

So now, I'm at MFP, logging and sweating, and doing it differently this time.

:laugh:

Oh, and what i really loved about Atkins was.... eating all that MEAT, and fat, and mmmmmm good tasting stuff.... and the sugar alcohol sweetened Atkins chocolate stuff..... and losing weight while doing it.

I'm not gonna comment on whether or not it's a sensible or healthy diet.... or sustainable for the long term.... that's for you to decide.
  • ocs411
    ocs411 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet back in 2004 and lost over 40 pounds. I gained it all back and then tried going back on it again several more times. I couldn't ever lose as much as I did that first time. The next 5 or so times I tried, it seemed I could only lose the water weight. If you don't have much to lose, the water weight comes off quick from Atkins (about 2 weeks). If you add carbs back in too quickly, the water weight comes right back FAST! Eating low carb is a huge appetite suppressant. (results vary, of course)
    I still try to eat lower carb, but it's nice to know I can eat some carbs now without ballooning back up.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did Adkins for a little while and was very successful short-term. However, I realized that part of the reason it worked so well was that I WAS cutting calories. Not on purpose, but there's only so much meat I could stand without feeling full. I don't know if this is true for other people, but I think it only worked because it tricked my brain. The problem was that it tricked it too much and I felt like crap all the time. Then I realized I was only putting in about 900 cal a day.

I had much more long-term success with a no-grains/refined sugar diet. I didn't eat any bread, pasta, or rice, but I still ate carb-heavy foods like bananas and beans.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

really bad idea, Atkins is moderate protein low carb and high in fat. If you eat lean chicken breast you won't do well.

Chicken consumption has risen 4 times since 1970, following the obesity trend nicely. Low fat is a failed hypothesis.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Has anyone out there tried the ATKINS diet? Do you have any tips for me?

Been there, done that. Both Atkins Classic and it's more recent "Paleo" and "Primal" variants.

Unsustainable for me, led to a bunch of negative issues.

However, it may be enough to kickstart the process of closely paying attention to what is being eaten, and that can be a positive no matter what happens otherwise.

Good luck!
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My only heistation would be to be prepared that if you can't stick with it, the water weight is going to come right back on. What had been an encouraging motivating start (seeing the pounds come of quickly) could lead to a rebound in to the depressed feelings when it comes back on just as fast.

I'm playing with lowering my carb intake right now and I know I'm dropping water weight (because I'm going to the bathroom all the time!) but I'm not letting myself weigh until I find a level of carbs that I feel is sustainable for me. I had been at 20 grams/day but felt so miserable all the time that I'm now trying 40-60 grams/day.

Whatever you decide, take pride in your decision to better your health and let that be your motivation every day!
  • robsonv
    robsonv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also did Atkins several years ago and much like most people who do it, I gained all the weight back. I would say the "downside" to Atkins is it isn't really sustainable in the "long run" and yes it can help to shed a few pounds short term but who really wants "short term" weight loss? After trying pretty much every "diet" out there I have now come to the realization that the only way to really lose weight for good is to consume less calories than you burn off and move you a**! LOL...best of luck to you on whatever path you take...this isn't easy :)