Need some snack tips/ideas while waitressing

Options
THis is my first topic post. I just started back to waitressing and if last night was any indication of how my shifts are: I am going to be BUSY. I am working at a restaurant and there is no allotted breaks for say but the employees have a designated eating/drinking area in the back. They provide you with a 20% employee discount and tell you at any time they can make you something to eat, but there really is nothing there for me to eat that wont bring my carb count and sodium count through the roof. Last night, I was so hungry and thirsty my entire shift and needless to say by the end of the night, even with purchasing a large chili from the wendys across the street (thank goodness they got one) .. I was way under my calories for the day. I wasn't even honest about my activity seeing as how I haven't adjusted my daily's for busy waitressing. My plea is for anyone to tell me what you do for busy night shifts, what snacks or foods do you bring to work? Would it be smart for me to pre-juice some stuff and that way I get "food" while I quench my thirst? I been in the biz for way over 21 years so I thought I was prepared for this, but I didn't take into account that I need to eat to lose. I don't want to stall my metabolism this point in my weight loss journey. Anyone with good advice or suggestions would be appreciated.. maybe I can up my calories before I go to work or skip my workout for the days that I will be working??? PS: I am so loving the atmosphere at this job and the team work, but whew it wore me out last night. :-) Thanks everyone I look forward to your replies.

Replies

• R1ss4n1
    R1ss4n1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I waitressed at an extremely busy restaurant for about a year and a half. I think your idea of making juices is GREAT, especially if you won't have time to sit and eat. I used to keep luna bars in my apron in case my stomach was grumbling loudly.

Depending on how long your shifts are, I'd try and eat before and after and figure your 'snacks' for during the shift. When I worked my weekend shifts could stretch to 12 hours without a designated break and that was the best way for me to go.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Thanks, not sure what Luna bars are but I am assuming they are some type of protein bar which is a great idea. I was so darn hungry last night and smelled yummy pizza and breadsticks. I will look up the luna bars right now. Gotta love the internet. I guese I just need a better plan my next shift. :-)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some of my favorite low/no carb snacks are:

a dill pickle wrapped in turkey lunch meat
    string cheese (sometimes I'll eat it with pepperoni snack sticks, I like the Old Wisconson Turkey ones)
    natural peanut butter is very low in carbs, and I love PB on and Apple or Banana or make ants on a log for the kid in you!

they should all be pretty quick to eat and I find them filling, hopefully that helps some....
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think you should post a copy of your restaurant's menu here so we can all salivate and tell you what we'd eat :laugh:

Also, is there anywhere you can keep a labeled bottle of ice water? I was concerned when you said you were thirsty, keeping hydrated would really help with snack cravings.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    If your work allows it, you can bring pre-measured snacks of almonds or nuts, something you could stick in your pocket and get to any time easily.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    protein shakes
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When I used to waitress, I'd often ask the cooks to just grill me something up even if it wasn't on the menu. I'm sure the walk-in cooler has plenty of chicken breasts, veggies, soups, salads, and other healthy things you can find when you're working. I'm sure the cooks wouldn't mind grilling something a different way for you so it's healthier.

Good luck!
  • MisterHeavyDuty
    Options
    Water to stay hydrated. That's the easy part. To stay satiated from hunger, slow-digesting fiber. Try metamucil or chia seeds. Eat them before and during your shift.

To snack on while on shift, beef jerky or sandwich meats (loaded wit sodium though).

Greens and salads are good low-cal options. Kale, romaine lettuce, brocolli, asperagus with oil and vinigar.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    snack on the hot men,
  • competitions4me
    Options
    protein shakes this way you get your protein in and water as well. Also 3 2 1 mug cake, only 120 calories, o fat, o carb. Easy to make and delicious, that's for sweet cravings. 1 box angel cake, 1 box whatever flavor you like (chocolate cake, carrot cake, etc.)
    mix the 2 flavors in a ziplock bag. Take the bag to work. Take 3 tbsp. of the mix, with 2 tbsp. water, microwave for 1 minute. Yum portion control cake, nice and warm. Hope this helps.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I miss waitressing. I did it in my teens and I've never been so fit!! I used to sneak fries off the customers plates while they were waiting to be picked up in the kitchen. I wouldn't recommend that. I got in a lot of trouble.

I say almonds if you can or some trail mix.

Cindy