Breastfeeding but no weight loss

Options
I'm breastfeeding my 9 month old, he breastfeeds about 5-7 times a day still. I aim to eat around 1700 calories because I don't want to lose my milk supply right now. But doing this I'm just not losing weight. If I eat around 1500 calories I do lose about 1.5 pounds a week, but then my supply drops. Last week I ate 1600 a day on average, and gained a pound...I've not been able to exercise due to being in a flare (lupus...well waiting for a full diagnosis, but probably) and I have to eat a dairy and gluten free diet.

According to mfp, I of course should be eating a lot more. I should be eating 1540 base, (I weigh 247) plus my breast feeding calories of around 300-400 and then exercise calories on top (which on non-flare weeks is another 200-400 calories daily and long walks wearing my son on my back) so around 2000-2200? So why aren't I losing on 1700? I lost a lot of weight before I got pregnant, then I lost weight (unintentionally) while pregnant and then gained over 30 pounds since then :sad: ideas? I don't want to gain all my previously lost weight back.

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

It perhaps could be a logging issue? Do you use food scales and log every last little morsel?

You absolutely should be steadily losing weight while breastfeeding - it's natural liposuction! Can't beat it.

All the best x
  • all4yum
    all4yum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale and pretty much everything goes on unless i already know the calories (like when I eat one of the baby carrot crispies - yum lol) Maybe sometimes I'll taste something, while cooking or something...hmmm...

Everyone told me how great breastfeeding is for weight loss and I've gained and gained over the last 9 months.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Get those fingers out of the pot. :wink: :bigsmile:

Perhaps try dropping calories back down a couple of hundred. Keep your fluids really high - any slight dehydration can affect supply - it could be that, not the cals.

Keep going honey!
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A lot of women actually aren't able to lose weight while BFing. I am one of them, I have been tracking, exercising, changing things up to see what works for over a year now and still weigh the same give or take 10 pounds. If I cut too much my supply suffers, the second I have some icecream I am engorged and baby stops fussing. It's like my body holds onto everything while baby needs it. I did manage to lose the weight with my son after he stopped nursing but am back at it again now with my 13 month old daughter
  • all4yum
    Options
    :( With my first son I was exclusively pumping and didn't lose weight but assumed that was because I was pumping and he was premature...you would think with how much I have to lose my body wouldn't cling to the fat lol. Especially as I lost 24 pounds while pregnant...probably because I was eating a diabetic diet.
  • marigold114
    marigold114 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    for some of us, it's hormonal. i lost very slowly when i was EBF, despite exercising and accurate logging. there have been several threads on this and i would say the comments are 50/50 for losing v. plateau while nursing. keep doing what youre doing and when you wean, it should change. don't get discouraged!
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Are you still eating the diabetic diet? If not, maybe you should go back to it?
    I didn't lose weight while nursing, and I think everyone is different. A friend of mine has milk supply problems when she exercises, but I never had an issue with that for example.
    Hormones are crazy after babies, and a lot of people get hypothyroidism after giving birth. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Get your T3 and your T4 checked. Having an under active thyroid can make you hold on to weight no matter what you do.
    Something will work eventually! Just keep going and try different things, and kudos to you for keeping up with it! I know how frustrating it is when it seems like nothing is working.
    Good luck!
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ditto on not being able to lose while bfing. I couldn't lose more than 5 lbs, but as soon as my son weaned off, the weight dropped off. My mom was the same way. Make sure you're eating enough to produce enough for your baby. That's much more important.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15 pounds within the first three weeks after giving birth. After that, everything stalled even though I was breastfeeding. I tried eating what I thought was reasonable, 1700 calories, and ended up losing a lot of my milk supply. :-( Oh, and I didn't lose weight eating those calories either. It wasn't until my babe was fully weaned did it start to drop off. I would attribute your non-loss to hormones and such. Some women can lose, others can't.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Some women lose incredibly easily while nursing, some don't. I was one of the latter as well. It wasn't until he weaned quite some time later that I actually saw any changes. At this stage in the game, nourishing your child is 1000% more important than weight loss, if you have to pick between the two. (In my opinion, anyway.) Drink to thirst, eat good food, treat yourself occasionally, make sure you are getting good fats and foods with good nutrient density, lots of veg, all the good stuff.

While it is true that pumping and nursing can occasionally have different results, the net result is the same--your body is producing milk, and your baby is consuming it. Producing milk takes energy, ergo your body does use energy to produce milk. However you also mention you were on a diabetic diet while pregnant, and if you are no longer doing that, it's likely that your body is also adjusting to your diet changes and burning energy straightaway from the foods you eat, not from stored fat. So, again, it's still using energy to produce milk, just not from the source you want it to. ;)

When you talk about your supply dropping, what do you mean by that specifically? Do you mean your child seems to nurse more frequently, and has fewer wet and dirty diapers? Are you also pumping and trying to measure based on that? 9 months is a classic time for babies to have a big growth spurt, where they nurse more frequently and sometimes can be hard to settle. Remember that you are working on a demand and supply setup--if you gradually lower your calories, and continue to nurse on demand, your body will (should, anyway) adjust. But I wouldn't recommend going too low right now, as you are kiddo's main source of food.

If you have any questions from someone that's been there, please do feel free to message me, I'd be happy to help. :)
  • tart_of_darkness
    Options
    Have you talked to your OB or doctor about this? A doctor has a lot of ideas for causal relationships between hormone levels and weight and can do the medical tests that back it up. If you have the insurance/time/money for it, that would be a great starting point.
  • all4yum
    Options
    I'm no longer eating a diabetic diet. It was hard work, on top of dairy allergies and now eating gluten free as my son is sensitive to that. I could do, as obviously I did lose weight on it. it's definitely worth thinking about! thanks!

I could tell my supply dropped because my baby would come to be nursed as usual then get frustrated and bite me (ouch lol) when he didn't get anything. I did just one day of higher calorie and my milk supply came right back. I agree that feeding my son is much more important, but I cannot gain more weight, even if I just maintain that's fine, but it is VERY important to me that I don't gain my weight back and since I have gained so much since he was born, I am concerned the weight gain will continue if I don't do something about it.

he does eat three solid meals a day too...plus snacks. but he's a very very hungry boy, and his weight gain has always been very poor, even now with everything he eats, so I have to be careful not to impact my milk supply.

I can't really see a doctor about it, because we have the NHS here, and they are pretty much useless and not at all concerned about something like this. I think I had my thyroid tested with the last flare I had and it was fine.

I think I may try a lower carb, low GI diet as I was doing while pregnant. Not a major change, just a little to see what happens.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15 pounds within the first three weeks after giving birth. After that, everything stalled even though I was breastfeeding. I tried eating what I thought was reasonable, 1700 calories, and ended up losing a lot of my milk supply. :-( Oh, and I didn't lose weight eating those calories either. It wasn't until my babe was fully weaned did it start to drop off. I would attribute your non-loss to hormones and such. Some women can lose, others can't.
    You could have written my story! I am exactly like you. I gained about 22 lbs with my pregnancy. I lost about 15 lbs in the first 3 weeks and then nothing. I fluctuate within 5 lbs and have tried different calorie allotments (from 1550-1850 with eating back exercise calories, not eating them back, adding the bf'ing calories, and not adding them) to no success. My 10 month old is still breastfeeding quite a bit, so I guess I will just keep working out, weighing my food, and hope to drop the lbs after she weans. I can't wait!
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I feel like I want to get a t-shirt made that says something like 'I'm not actually fat, I'm just breastfeeding and can't help it right now!!'

So sorry so many others are going through this, it sucks! but of course baby's food supply is more important <3
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A lot of women actually aren't able to lose weight while BFing. I am one of them, I have been tracking, exercising, changing things up to see what works for over a year now and still weigh the same give or take 10 pounds. If I cut too much my supply suffers, the second I have some icecream I am engorged and baby stops fussing. It's like my body holds onto everything while baby needs it. I did manage to lose the weight with my son after he stopped nursing but am back at it again now with my 13 month old daughter

Me too. I was able to lose weight, however after my baby turned a year old.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Life aint fair if youre a woman. Were told all the time we need to lose weight be more fit do more this do more that blah blah. The whole time were really fighting against or own biology that wants to hold onto every ounce of fat and nutrition it can.

Be patient Mama. Keep logging, keep exercising, keep nourishing your body to the best of your ability. It will come off. Other than that you are doing the most important job in the world right now...feeding a growing baby.