want to lift but cant?

Options
Right now I do cardio 4 days a week, w the occasional squats/ kettlebell swings. I am limited to the "mommy room" the majority of the time because I have to take my kids w me. So far I have lost about 10lbs... but NO inches (at least not my waist or hips). I would like to incorporate some strength training or ANYTHING that will help.
Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There are a few really good body weight programs out there.

I would recommend the Strong Curves book if you can get it. Has everything you need including a body weight/at home program as well as full free weight programs if you ever decide to go that route.
  • Shayley20
    Shayley20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are a few really good body weight programs out there.

I would recommend the Strong Curves book if you can get it. Has everything you need including a body weight/at home program as well as full free weight programs if you ever decide to go that route.

Thanks!
  • Shayley20
    Options
    Another things I didnt mention.. there are small weights in the room.. dumbells ranging from 3lbs- 15lbs and kettlebells ranging from 10lbs-50lbs

How can I work with these? Will these at least START giving me some definition?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Another things I didnt mention.. there are small weights in the room.. dumbells ranging from 3lbs- 15lbs and kettlebells ranging from 10lbs-50lbs

What an weird set of equipment!

The dumbbells are probably too light to be of much use, but a 50-pound kettlebell is a pretty good hunk of iron. I would think you could make some serious progress with a smart kettlebell routine.

I'm not a kettlebell expert, though. Maybe someone else can chime in with a specific program.
  • Shayley20
    Options
    Thanks rick!
    Im a sissy kettlebell swinger. haha. Im starting out w 15 pounds. I feel like I just cant get the form down.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out then the kettlebells are plenty heavy for now. I think you are selling yourself very short with the 15lb kettlebell especially if you are doing kettlebell swings. There are a lot of kettlebell workouts, just google some and make a routine for yourself.

I find that it's much easier to keep my form right with a heavier kettlebell.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Can you ask to bring in heavier dumbbells into the room maybe?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Sure gobblet squats and kettlebell deadlifts are good and that is a good range of weights for a beginner. I would still recommend getting on an actual program though. Some people struggle with body weight squats for the correct number of reps so adding 15lbs might be a realistic weight progression at first. It is really going to depend on how strong you are. Strength should progress pretty rapidly though.

Definition is mostly going to be a function of losing body fat.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Definition is due 100% to bodyfat percentage (so, your diet), not the exercise you're doing. All weight training does is increase strength and muscle size.

That said, it doesn't sound like enough to stimulate your upper body, not when compared to bodyweight exercises. However, you could use them to load your lower body workouts (i.e. squats, kettlebell deadlifts, etc...), though you will eventually ahve to do more.
  • Shayley20
    Options
    If you are just starting out then the kettlebells are plenty heavy for now. I think you are selling yourself very short with the 15lb kettlebell especially if you are doing kettlebell swings. There are a lot of kettlebell workouts, just google some and make a routine for yourself.

I find that it's much easier to keep my form right with a heavier kettlebell.

Ill have to try out a heavier one then. The only part of "form" that feels off is I feel like im using my arms more than I should be?? Everything I read says I shouldnt have to use my arms at all because the ball should just float up. ???
  • Shayley20
    Options

Sure gobblet squats and kettlebell deadlifts are good and that is a good range of weights for a beginner. I would still recommend getting on an actual program though. Some people struggle with body weight squats for the correct number of reps so adding 15lbs might be a realistic weight progression at first. It is really going to depend on how strong you are. Strength should progress pretty rapidly though.

which in turn would mean still continue my 4 days of cardio?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Only if you want to and/or it helps you maintain a calorie deficit. You dont have to do any cardio to lose body fat but it is good for you and allows you to eat more.

Losing weight is all about calorie management. You have to burn more than you eat. You can just eat less or move more or a combination of the two.

The strength training will help maintain your current muscle, burn some calories and make you a lot stronger.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Losing body fat is a function of being in a caloric deficit. You can be in a caloric deficit without exercise at all and lose body fat (along with LBM). That can also be what happens when you only do cardio with no strength routine. Lose Fat and LBM. A good strength routine mixed with cardio and a caloric deficit is where your definition comes from. You lose fat from being in a caloric deficit (cardio can help with that) and strength training helps maintain muscle mass so you lose mostly fat. The scale will drop much slower (as well as go up at occasion) as you're losing mostly fat and water. Once you've stripped the fat off of the muscles you're maintaining is where you get definition.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Diet = gain/maintain/lose weight
    Cardio = cardiovasular conditioning, most efficient way to burn calories
    Lifting = maintain/gain muscle & strength, good way to burn calories
  • Shayley20
    Options
    Meh. So basically I just have to be patient. ha! Been on MFP for about 2.5 months now, dropped 10lbs w a calorie deficit and cardio. I go over my calories occasionally but never by much. Half the time ill eat back some of my exercise cals and other days I dont...
    Thanks for all your guys advice!
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would seriously consider ChaLEAN Extreme. That is the program I am currently using. I have 3-50lb weights at home (right now, using 5-10lbs as I am just starting). The program literally walks you through lifting and toning. I have lost 1.5lbs in just one week, and over an inch off my hips! Message me for more info - I'd love to have you join me!