Exercise with a hurt ankle?

Options
Yesterday I messed up my ankle in some way when I was working out. Pulled on my foot wrong during a stretch and the top of my ankle made a snap and then a tingling/burning sensation spread through that area. It's not really hurt (I've had weak ankles my whole life, so I know I didn't do any serious damage from experience :P)

I iced and wrapped and elevated and have been quite easy on it all day today.

My main concern is my usual workout program includes A LOT of jumping. Obviously jumping isn't my best option, but my go-to is always just jogging. However that sounds like a bad idea too.

Any ideas on how to burn a signifcant amount of calories without stressing my ankle?

All I have equipment wise is a set of 3lb dumbells. No gym membership either.

Replies

• sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Last winter I sprained my ankle and was still able to do my deep water exercise class, while still on crutches, my foot never touched the bottom. Thankfully the pool had stairs so I could get out, I would not have been able to use the ladder in the beginning. Hope you heal fast!
  • rlzwakenberg
    rlzwakenberg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Last winter I sprained my ankle and was still able to do my deep water exercise class, while still on crutches, my foot never touched the bottom. Thankfully the pool had stairs so I could get out, I would not have been able to use the ladder in the beginning. Hope you heal fast!

Nope, no access to a pool. I'm sure my ankle will be better in a day or so. It's really not that messed up. I just don't want to risk hurting it any worse, and I don't want to miss out on my workout
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith has several chair workouts on YouTube

Cardio, abs, strength

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+chair+workout&oq=jessica+smith+ch&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l5.891.5516.0.8578.16.12.0.4.4.0.156.1406.4j8.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.vuNebT60zUE

Don't try to do too much too soon....you could reinjure it & set yourself back
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    With those options, got a bike? Less angle to flex through and little impact may be much better.

But it looks like you'll just have to eat less with no exercise eat back.

Or eat about the same and call it a diet break - does a body good anyway if it's been awhile without one.
  • CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    DO NOT PUT WEIGHT AND STRESS ON AN INJURY. IT'S OK TO TAKE TIME AWAY FROM THAT RIGOR AND DO FLOOR EXERCISE OR WEIGHTS INSTEAD. OTHERWISE, THE INJURY NEVER GETS A CHANCE TO HEAL COMPLETELY AND IT ENDURES WORSE HARM. ATHLETES WHO DO THIS END UP WITH A CHRONIC CONDITION. IT MAINTAINS ITSELF IN AN INJURED CONDITION THE REST OF YOUR LIFE--NEVER BACK TO NORMAL.

MY GUESS IS THAT YOU ARE UNDER 40. I WILL TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE AS AN ATHLETE IN 3 SPORTS THRU UNIVERSITY AND EVEN NOW IN MY 60S--ONCE THE DAMAGE IS DONE, YOU CAN'T GO BACK. TAKE PROPER CARE OF IT NOW WHILE IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE...EVEN UP TO A MONTH. REMEMBER, YOU HAVE TO HAVE ANKLES TO WALK!
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    With those options, got a bike? Less angle to flex through and little impact may be much better.

But it looks like you'll just have to eat less with no exercise eat back.

Or eat about the same and call it a diet break - does a body good anyway if it's been awhile without one.

As a gerneal rule, I stay under my calories anyways. I try to eat back, but usually finish the day with 100-200 cals remaining, exercise or not. I guess that'll be my best bet. I just missed exercise a few times this week and feel bad. :( haha.
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    DO NOT PUT WEIGHT AND STRESS ON AN INJURY. IT'S OK TO TAKE TIME AWAY FROM THAT RIGOR AND DO FLOOR EXERCISE OR WEIGHTS INSTEAD. OTHERWISE, THE INJURY NEVER GETS A CHANCE TO HEAL COMPLETELY AND IT ENDURES WORSE HARM. ATHLETES WHO DO THIS END UP WITH A CHRONIC CONDITION. IT MAINTAINS ITSELF IN AN INJURED CONDITION THE REST OF YOUR LIFE--NEVER BACK TO NORMAL.

MY GUESS IS THAT YOU ARE UNDER 40. I WILL TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE AS AN ATHLETE IN 3 SPORTS THRU UNIVERSITY AND EVEN NOW IN MY 60S--ONCE THE DAMAGE IS DONE, YOU CAN'T GO BACK. TAKE PROPER CARE OF IT NOW WHILE IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE...EVEN UP TO A MONTH. REMEMBER, YOU HAVE TO HAVE ANKLES TO WALK!

Very true. That's what I plan to do, is take it very easy. In high school a severely sprained this same ankle and heard the shpeel from the doctors then. I try to take very good care of my ankles because of being injured previously.

For the most part however, I don't think it's a particularly bad injury. At least not as bad as when I've hurt it before, by any stretch. No bruising. Minimal swelling. Minimal pain really. I just don't want to take any chances.
  • rlzwakenberg
    Options
    Jessica Smith has several chair workouts on YouTube

Cardio, abs, strength

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+chair+workout&oq=jessica+smith+ch&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l5.891.5516.0.8578.16.12.0.4.4.0.156.1406.4j8.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.vuNebT60zUE

Don't try to do too much too soon....you could reinjure it & set yourself back

Ill have to check that out! Thanks!!!