Sports Bra Heart Monitor

Options
So i've been searching for a heart rate monitor and I stumbled across http://www.numetrex.com/webapp/store/Shopping/product/CTRLBRA (a heart rate sensor sports bra!!) that communicates with whichever heart rate monitor watch you have. If it works half as well as it says it does, i'm in.

The watches with heart rate sensors in them are too big my for little wrists, and chest straps seem to not stay in place very well, so this seems like a really good option. Anyone have one of these/heard of these? Do they work as well as chest straps? Also, what watch should I buy to go with it? I need one that is small but I like all the bells and whistles like GPS, calorie count, time/distance ect.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so you'll have to wear the same stank *kitten* bra day after day after stank *kitten* day?

OUT
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    so you'll have to wear the same stank *kitten* bra day after day after stank *kitten* day?

OUT

^^ This. Plus any bra that comes in sizes like small, medium, large isn't likely to fit well enough to be supportive. It should come in, you know, actual bra sizes.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had thought of that, perhaps buy a few I can rotate through? Also it says it can be washed up to 120 times before there is any loss in accuracy. Support wise i'm not too worried though, I could run without a bra if I wanted.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Any HRM? Well considering that my Polar one is made & coded so it wont be picked up by anything other than polar I find it hard to believe. Then after 120 days for me, only 4 months, I'd have to fork out for a new one just to be accurate rather than forking out for 2 new small batteries to make mine accurate?

No thanks.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I had thought of that, perhaps buy a few I can rotate through? Also it says it can be washed up to 120 times before there is any loss in accuracy. Support wise i'm not too worried though, I could run without a bra if I wanted.

ORLY?
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

ORLY?
    I'm assuming she's the President of the IBTC.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    interesting
  • chelciebrown07
    Options
    You would be correct sir. $50 every 4 months doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but I suppose everyone is different. So no one has tried it before? More curious about the accuracy of the bra vs. a strap than continued discussion about my breast size.
  • DavPul
    Options

ORLY?
    I'm assuming she's the President of the IBTC.

i'll be the judge of this
  • DavPul
    Options
    You would be correct sir. $50 every 4 months doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but I suppose everyone is different. So no one has tried it before? More curious about the accuracy of the bra vs. a strap than continued discussion about my breast size.

it's just a strap. i'm sure it's just as accurate as any other strap. there's really not much to debate about the science of straps these days so this discussion, for better or worse, actually does revolve around the convenience of buying/owning/maintaining several of these $50 bras, breast size (not for giggity, but for actual support reasons since those things aren't sold in actual sizes and will have tremendous variance in fit for different women (or men, if that's your thing)), and cost, as you'll have to either replace the battery (more expensive than you think) or the entire bra well before you've had them for a year

Highly unlikely these things are going to be worth the hassle, but if you get them, post back with a review and let other MFP women know what you think
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    So i've been searching for a heart rate monitor and I stumbled across http://www.numetrex.com/webapp/store/Shopping/product/CTRLBRA (a heart rate sensor sports bra!!) that communicates with whichever heart rate monitor watch you have. If it works half as well as it says it does, i'm in.

The watches with heart rate sensors in them are too big my for little wrists, and chest straps seem to not stay in place very well, so this seems like a really good option. Anyone have one of these/heard of these? Do they work as well as chest straps? Also, what watch should I buy to go with it? I need one that is small but I like all the bells and whistles like GPS, calorie count, time/distance ect.

I'd slide the watch up on my forearm or make another hole or three in the watch band before trying that bra thingy.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Well, I bought my HRM for $30, so yeah a $50 one that has to be replaced every 4 months AND that you have to buy a watch for separately seems awfully high. I also have no faith in a $50 electronic you supposedly can put in the washing machine, but that's the skeptic LD in me. I've never had an issue with my chest strap staying in place.
  • InForBacon
    Options
    You brought up the fact that you don't even need a bra, not us.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My curiosity would center around if I weren't prez of the IBTC and more like the complete opposite, how would I know that the bra were measuring my heart beats and not being confused by the tremors caused by my contents of said bra?

ETA: Oh I see it's a non-issue for me, they don't even carry D's or higher.
  • InForBacon
    Options
    My curiosity would center around if I weren't prez of the IBTC and more like the complete opposite, how would I know that the bra were measuring my heart beats and not being confused by the tremors caused by my contents of said bra?
    I think this should be studied further.

tumblr_inline_mft1b9qTj21qmje97.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You brought up the fact that you don't even need a bra, not us.

Yeah plus we're talking about my size now anyways, so that's that.
  • chelciebrown07
    Options

it's just a strap. i'm sure it's just as accurate as any other strap. there's really not much to debate about the science of straps these days so this discussion, for better or worse, actually does revolve around the convenience of buying/owning/maintaining several of these $50 bras, breast size (not for giggity, but for actual support reasons since those things aren't sold in actual sizes and will have tremendous variance in fit for different women (or men, if that's your thing)), and cost, as you'll have to either replace the battery (more expensive than you think) or the entire bra well before you've had them for a year

Highly unlikely these things are going to be worth the hassle, but if you get them, post back with a review and let other MFP women know what you think

That is my main question actually, if the woven in sensors on the sports bra work just as well as other proven to be accurate straps. I understand other peoples concern about the price and the fit ect, but I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who had actually tried one, or other such apparel. Seems like no one has any though, so I will do as you suggest and try it out and share my findings.

Also apparently they now will communicate with your smart phone, so you don't need to purchase a watch.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I would just get an HRM with a chest strap and make the strap tighter so it stays in place. Love my Polar FT7. I've used it throughout the majority of my weight loss. I always "eat back exercise calories" that I earn, and I've lost weight steadily and consistently.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    So, it's basically a universal chest strap? I'd rather just buy a uni chest strap.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    in for boob sweat