I'm not a loser

Options
Here’s what I’m doing:
M/W/F – GYM (10 minute cardio warm up –usually bike)
Circuit Takes about 45 minutes
Cardio 20-25 minutes on the stair master
Tu/Th/Sat – Run training. Up to week 7 of a 5km program. I have to do this as I have committed to a 10k in the spring!
Fitness Blender 32 minute Pilates for legs and core
Wednesday – 60 minutes Zumba
I did have my calories set at 1700, but reset yesterday to 1506, and am to eat back my exercise calories.
This has been my routine since the beginning of September when I added in the running and Zumba. I have been doing the circuit since the middle of July. Between July and August I lost 3 lbs. I didn’t lose anything at all in September. In the past two weeks I’ve gained nearly 2lbs. My waist was down initially 3 inches in the summer, but no further loss and no other measurement changes. BF% was UP, BUT since then have figured out that she may have dine it wrong.
What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all of your exercise calories back, and if so, how are you estimating your burn?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat dinner on Monday? How accurately are you logging? Weighing and measuring your food? Possibly overestimating burns.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates... for burns. I was wearing a fitbit until about 2 weeks ago. I could go back.

Monday was thanksgiving... I didn't cook it so I tried to eat moderately... skipped potatoes and stuff... Was probably over. I do weigh and measure about 90% of my food. I generally don't weigh veggies. I loge everything I eat, with a blip here and there. I don't think that not logging a meal would cause a gain in the grand scheme of things.

Thyroid has been checked all is good... with other stuff too...
  • SugarBaby71
    Options
    Do you ever rest? Seems to me your body is in constant stress/exercise. Do you sleep enough?

I don't do much on Sunday. I do manage about 6 to 7 hours a night.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I eat more than you do...so...maybe you should too. I burn 800 kcal or more a day.
  • SugarBaby71
    Options
    My calories are based upon TDEE. I have a sedentary job so...
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My calories are based upon TDEE. I have a sedentary job so...

If what you're doing isn't working... I think all of your options include "do something different."

I'd say you're working out too much. Try 4 days a week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you say you are eating your exercise calories back. gives us an idea of what you think those calories are. most of the time failure to lose (or gain) revolves around underestimate cals eaten or overestimation of cals burned
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "based upon TDEE?" It is my understanding that when you go by TDEE, like TDEE minus xx%, you should not eat back your exercise calories.
  • SugarBaby71
    Options
    I took my TDEE (2000) and deducted 500 calories to create a deficit... Goal is 1500... plus exercise. I am only starting the 'eat back your exercise calories' thing today... Up until this point I haven't been able to... and yes I know the MFP estimates are off, I will keep this in mind when eating...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    TDEE is supposed to include your exercise. If you're eating back exercise calories while using a TDEE-X approach, it's likely you're eating at maintenance. Edit: as indicated above, but hey repetition is awesome.
  • SugarBaby71
    Options
    TDEE is supposed to include your exercise. If you're eating back exercise calories while using a TDEE-X approach, it's likely you're eating at maintenance. Edit: as indicated above, but hey repetition is awesome.

Hmmmm thinking about this... It is something that was suggested to me. I thought it had to be better than what I WAS doing...

I guess the question is then... If I have a desk job but I do an hour of exercise (the kind you do on purpose, as opposed to life in general) 6 days a week, is that still considered sedentary?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat dinner on Monday? How accurately are you logging? Weighing and measuring your food? Possibly overestimating burns.

^This
    Are you eating all of your exercise calories back, and if so, how are you estimating your burn?

^And that

Food scale > measuring cup

The estimates that MFP gives for how many calories you burn is an over estimate in my opinion. I would shave off 100-200 of what MFP tells you, or get a heart rate monitor if you want to spend the money. I greatly rely on my Polar FT7.

Good luck.

ETA: When you did your TDEE calculations....did you factor in all the exercise? If so, like many above have mentioned, you should not be "eating back exercise calories."
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    When you say circuit, do you mean weight lifting? Or do you do any progressive weight lifting? And do you eat enough protein (I can't see your diary)?

On the TDEE, with your exercise it would be some sort of active and not sedentary, definitely. It sounds like someone suggested the TDEE of sedentary and then eating back exercise calories, which can work (but MFP does overestimate).
  • psychofairy25
    psychofairy25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think I get what your saying and yes if you use the TDEE as your numbers then enter it in as your maintenance goal on MFP and don't log your exercise OR you can enter your BMR as your maintaining under MFP and log exercise since other than work outs you said you were fairly inactive. third option is use the standard MFP settings to deduce calories you should consume. the point is don't loose hope. :flowerforyou: you'll break through the crazy. I just got past my own crazy of fluxing up and down between 220 and 230 while on deficit for the past 2 months. just takes patience and persistence Good luck :drinker: