I have NO idea how to weight train. HELP

Options
Hello health nuts and gym rats, I really want to get into weight training to help get my body where I want it to be, but the problem is I don't know what to do once I start a workout. I have a in home weight bench with a 45lbs bar and all the weights and everything, so there is no reason why I shouldn't incorporate more strength. However, I find that I quit before I feel like I get a real workout done because I really do not know exercises, and which ones cover what body part. Today I messed around with arms, so does that make tomorrow a leg day? Please help, perhaps a beginner strength training workout schedule would help. Anything helps,

Maggie

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Check out www.jefit.com. I'm there under the same username. They have animations that show the 'how to' of the exercises as well as routines for every level. It's free to get an account but you can look at the routines without having one. I work out at home too.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm looking it up right now!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I recommend "Starting Strength". Ideally a session or two with a personal trainer to make sure you get the form right, especially for squats and power cleans. With a 45lb bar and a few weights, you can transform yourself incredibly with just 3 sessions a week, doing only 3 exercises per session. The only downside is the need to learn the form correctly.

Osric
  • landonfloen
    landonfloen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    +1 For starting strength! There is no comparison for a beginner.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Because my set is at home, I don't have a personal trainer, but I could maybe get a guy friend to help me (lol I'm sure they won't mind) but I need a full body plan with using only a bench, bar, weights, and my own body :frown:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I straight up C/P this- so not all of it's applicable- but it's still a good write up and I'm way to lazy to type it out again.

Starting Strength
    Strong lifts
    new rules of lifting/new rules of lifting for women

rule #1 about lifting
    you will not bulk unless you are eating a calorie surplus

rule #2
    there is no such thing as toning.

What are compound lifts and how do I know which ones they ares Jo?

What excellent questions!!!

Compound lifts are lifts that use your whole body- rather than isolating specific muscles- they do more to raise your heart rate and get essentially the most 'bang for your buck' they are exceptionally helpful for developing 'muscle tone' and general over all strength and mobility (very important as well)

The following are examples of compound lifts
    > Squats (any type- back- front, zercher, jefferson, overhead)
    > Dead Lift (any type- straight leg, traditional, romanian and single)
    > Bench- (full arch- not flat back- incline/decline qualify but as you change the angle - you change the target and becomes less whole body)
    > Over head Press- strict over head press- not a push press- which includes a 'bounce'

walking lunges, hammy raises, pull ups, push ups, rows are also excellent additions to these lifts.

you can start getting into power lifting- clean's jerks' and snatches- SUPER fun-but stick with the above lifts for now-

Examples of NOT compound lifts (I.e. isolations)

bicep curls
    tricep press downs
    leg extensions/curls
    ab/aductors
    flys (although fly is wicked fun- it's still not compound)
    90% of the shoulder stuff you people do is all isolation stuff too

something to know. If you chose to curl. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. this is lifting rule NUMERO UNO for gym etiqutte- it's rude- and ignorant- and all sorts of things. just don't do it.

Second rule.

PUT YOUR WEIGHTS AWAY. RACK THEM.

if you can lift them- you can re-rack them. seriously- also- super rude to not re-rack them. and for the love of all things holy- put them back not where you found them- but where they GO- i.e 10's in the 10 slot- not the 70's in the 10 slot- so rude- so annoying.

hopefully that was helpful- let me know if you have more questions- good look on starting to lift- lifting iz ze awesome.

seriously- it's awesome.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what you're doing, find a good beginner strength program and follow it as close as you can. A few possible choices that I can recommend:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    All Pro Beginner
    Strong Curves

Or some body weight programs that need minimal equipment:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You

Because you're a beginner, it doesn't matter too much which of these routines you use. Just pick one, follow it, and have some fun! I can tell you one thing for sure, there's nothing more motivating than beginning a strength program, because newbies progress so fast. I envy you! Good luck!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Because my set is at home, I don't have a personal trainer, but I could maybe get a guy friend to help me (lol I'm sure they won't mind) but I need a full body plan with using only a bench, bar, weights, and my own body :frown:

Here's one:
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Don't get trained by just any random gym guy, chances are he'll be badly misinformed.

Do you have a power rack? You'll need one for safety and to do squats.