Is Intermittent fasting 36/12 superior for fat loss?

Options
Hey im doing intermittent fasting where i eat all my calories in a 1-2 hour window and fast for 22-23 hours (i end up eating so much because i always get hungry when it comes time to eat). I unknowingly under ate way below my recommendation for a week or two along the way so i hit a plateau and stayed there for almost a month so i tried eating more, exercising more, eating better and zig zaging calories but im still at around the same two numbers on the scale. Im thinking about fasting for 36 hours and eating for 12 hours for better results. Since the least i can eat without going into starvation mode is 1548 a day, if i eat 3048 for 12 hours and fast for 36 hours will that make a difference?

like this....
Monday
-little exercise depending on how i feel
-eat 3048 calories from 8:00am-8:00pm and fast for the rest of the day

Tuesday
-1-2 hrs of cardio in the afternoon
-fast for the day except have dinner with the family in the evening

Wednesday (same as monday)
-little exercise depending on how i feel
-eat 3048 calories from 8:00am-8:00pm and fast for the rest of the day

Thursday
-1-2 hrs of cardio in the afternoon
-fast for the day except have dinner with the family in the evening

If i follow this process will i get better results or will i go catabolic and most importantly, will i go into starvation mode and hit a plateau again?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No. It's not harmful, but it doesn't provide any special benefit either.
  • youngcalorieburner
    Options
    Why not just eat when hungry and at a caloric deficit?
    Because intermittent fasting works better for me since after about 14 hours of not eating u burn pure fat and i notice that since i staertd I.F. that i woke up leaner every morning
  • youngcalorieburner
    Options
    So it would'nt burn anymore fat than if i eat 1548 calories in 4 hours and fasted for 20hrs a day with fasted exercise?
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Starting tweaking your numbers! Your fasted state should not be a struggle day in and day out (in the beginning, yes). First practice eating your calorie allotment then start tweaking from there. If you are stressing about being hungry, cortisol is being released which is not good.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    lol'd at bro science ITT

caloric deficit > endless cardio and ridiculous eating habits
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat when hungry and at a caloric deficit?
    Because intermittent fasting works better for me since after about 14 hours of not eating u burn pure fat and i notice that since i staertd I.F. that i woke up leaner every morning

Because you have no food in your system, you feel and appear to be leaner. I'm all for IF, I follow it myself... but for different reasons. It's not a magic bullet.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It sounds unnecessary. Just do an 18/6 or 20/4 split. That way you'll have more time to get your calories in and won't be so under.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What are you eating in a 1-2 hour span that gets you to your calorie target for the day? I mean, don't mistake me, I certainly could blow through 2000 calories in a meal, but it would be pure garbage. Just from a straight VOLUME perspective, how is it even physically possible for you to get enough protein, healthy fats, and servings of fruits and vegetables/micro-nutrients if you're consuming that many calories in such a short time? I'm down with IIFYM, but, come on, man.

That said, fast, don't fast, whatever. Hit your calorie goal on, say, a weekly basis and it's going to end up the same. IF provides some benefits for body recomposition, but for the post part they're limited to someone with a very specific training plan/schedule; for just straight up weight loss the benefits are much smaller. But, like others have said, it's not going to HURT you, either. Do whatever fits your lifestyle the best and whatever you think you can sustain for the rest of your life.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think you are overcomplicating it. Try fasting for 24 hours once or twice per week and eat normal the rest (Eat Stop Eat), or, the 16/8 fast a la Lean Gains.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Tips - Eat 5 - 6 smaller meals a day. That's Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and in between around 10am and 3 pm a snack that contains protein. By eating this way, it speeds up your metabolism, gives you more energy and your burn more fat.
    FREE Ebook Download: How To Lose 5 pounds In A Week Easily!
    http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/inj9278794/lose5poundsinaweek.pdf

Nope... it will not speed up your metabolism.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So it would'nt burn anymore fat than if i eat 1548 calories in 4 hours and fasted for 20hrs a day with fasted exercise?

No--especially with the scenario you describe. There is really no such thing as "fasted exercise" and even if there was, all the research shows that the fuel burned during exercise had zero effect on stored body fat. Or muscle mass.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

By the end of 20 hours and with exercise you would be running on reserves of glycogen and fat for sure. Anything you ate is long gone.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    have you tried JUDDD? it's not as drastic as what you're doing, but has the same effect and somewhat gentler.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You're depleting internal batteries and flushing water along with that.

It'll come right back when you eat/drink.