Why do people gain all their weight back?

Options
Why is it here that many people have gained all their weight back?

This is my first attempt, my goal is getting in slight, I've already worked so hard, why will I want to ruin what i've worked so hard for?

Do some people think dieting is a temporary commitment? It's a lifetime commitment, just keep on doing what you have already done to keep off the weight, you already worked so hard to lose, and you should be fine.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Many reasons including; illnesses, injury, change of circumstances, loss of motivation to maintain, trying to stick to a VLCD. Well done on nearly reaching goal though.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You can read my intro post for the details for me. But in short, I got cocky and thought I could wing it. That almost worked for a year and then it went really poorly after that. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1107326-hacker-s-diet-fan

Osric
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I've gained weight back it was because of good old fashioned diet mentality. Ate low calories until I lost the weight and then started eating "normally" again and didn't stop until the weight was back.

A little over ten years ago I signed up with a trainer who taught me all about logging food and exercise, weight lifting, cardio, and establishing good eating habits. I lost close to 70 pounds.

About five years ago I began forgetting about those good habits and the lifestyle change I'd made. I gained back close to 30 pounds.

Now, I'm 9.5 pounds until my goal and I'm doing the weight loss journey exactly as it has been suggested here. It's working and I'm now losing .5 pounds a week as I set my goal to do in MFP. When I set my goals to lose 2 pounds a week, I did. Same thing with when I wanted to lose one pound a week.

All I can say is that accurate logging and eating properly and exercising are the staples on my road to better health. I now think there is not one good reason to gain any of my weight back.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight, I did it with Nutrisystem. I didn't learn anything about calories, maintenance calories vs deficit calories, and I had no education in how I should eat to maintain. The whole program is "eat this food for a while, lose weight." So what happened after that? I moved to college, ate in the dining hall, introduce pot and beer and bam, I'm right back where I started. Yes, I could have made better decisions and educated myself, but I was 17 and naive. I forgive myself. I'm doing it right this time, with real daily food decisions, counting calories, and exercising.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "because they eat to much."

simple solutions for no complex problems
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that accurate logging and eating properly and exercising are the staples on my road to better health. I now think there is not one good reason to gain any of my weight back.

agree. that is what i think so. f
    ollowing this for lifetime can definitely help maintain as i continue doing what i do now and only have to ajust the calories intake for maintenance when i'll get there.
  • torred06
    Options
    As soon as you begin a diet, know one thing, you are doomed to fail. Diets simply modify behavior for a short period of time and are unsustainable in the long run. I've been on so many diets, I've lost count. I gain, I lose; classic yoyo. Two years ago I discovered the secret, for my success anyway, I call it the one ingredient rule. Simply, If a food has more than one ingredient, I don't buy it, I don't eat it. Using that rule and MyFitnessPal as a "calorie & carb Wallet" enabled me to take and keep the weight off, eat healthy and feel great. I'm 50 years old and in the best health I've ever been in.
    At the very least, avoid foods that have a label requiring a chemistry degree to decipher.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don't get too cocky, Spider. Knowing how easy it is to slip back into old patterns keeps you on your toes.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Loss of motivation!
    Personal matters that make you never wanna get up and live!

Its just mistakes we learn from and make us better the second time around

But good luck!!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In my case I became deathly ill, had a long recovery in which I could do little more than lay on the couch all day. For months. I maintained my weight during that stretch. Had to then take a merry-go-round of meds which led me to a quick gain of over 20 pounds (in only three months).
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The only time I've lost weight significantly was 5 years ago. My husband and I were doing well financially and emotionally, completely secure. We were both logging food and lost a good amount of weight, we had just entered maintenance logging. Then, I resigned my high-paying job to take on an internship in my college career field. 3 months later, my husband lost his job (as the bread winner). We lost almost everything (our savings, our housing, etc) and had to move in with family until we got re-established.
    Anything can happen and sometimes the good habits we learn can get put on the back burner.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I never thought that I would. I lost 70 in about 16 months and gained back 30. Why? I felt SO proud of my success. I was working out regularly and felt great. I had many compliments too. It's too complex to address fully here but I am an emotional eater who gets severe sugar cravings. Many people can eat sweets but I guess I am not one of them. I feel like I should be a "normal person" who gets to have an occasional dessert or a couple of pieces of candy. Unfortunately, I fell of the wagon just like an alcoholic. It took me 11 months to gain the 30 but now I have now been sugar free for three days and I am hopeful for continued success. I had someone offer me a doughnut yesterday. I said "no" and sat near her while she ate hers, tough thing to do at work. I have lost 3.2 pounds in the last 3 days just due to the sugar reduction. My goal is to lose 80 more in the next 10-12 months and then lose another 10-15 after that. I know that I shall always have to be vigilant not to slip again. I am not sure I have the strength to muscle through this another round.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It is hard to keep it off, you get bored with your program.
    life changes.
    I try to stay within 6 pounds, this month my son got married and I went up 10 pounds,
    I now believe stress is the worst cause of weight gain.
    I am getting back under control!
    I will get back to 117!
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We get older, our bodies change, metabolism slows, you don't burn calories like you used to, routine of life takes over, you think you've got it under control, etc, etc etc.....

I'm not sure if you're really asking because your interested or because "you don't understand how people can let themselves go." There's a lot of people with the later mindset on these message boards.

In the end, it doesn't matter why someone else gained it back; just don't let it happen to yourself because you don't want some prick coming along to say "how'd you let yourself go again."
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I always did before, because I was depriving myself and could never stay on track. I believed that I had to eat 'clean', and do a crap ton of cardio, so of course I was always miserable, hungry, tired, craving everything all the time. Now, since starting MFP, I learned to keep it simple. Calories in, calories out. I get a moderate weekly average calorie deficit, meet my macro/micro/fiber goals, incorporate plenty of treats, do a bit of cardio and I started strength training. It's sustainable now, and fun, instead of miserable, so I think I can keep with it! :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why is it here that many people have gained all their weight back?

This is my first attempt, my goal is getting in slight, I've already worked so hard, why will I want to ruin what i've worked so hard for?

Do some people think dieting is a temporary commitment? It's a lifetime commitment, just keep on doing what you have already done to keep off the weight, you already worked so hard to lose, and you should be fine.

Because they go on restrictive diets and cut their favorite foods out of their diet. Eventually their willpower fails and they fall directly into old eating patterns. They're "dieting" so they stop eating normally with friends and family.

In other words: they never learned to enjoy all the foods they actually like (and their friends and family eat and therefore have around often) responsibly within the confines of a proper caloric intake.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Loss of motivation!
    Personal matters that make you never wanna get up and live!

Its just mistakes we learn from and make us better the second time around

But good luck!!

Motivation will always wane. 100% of the time.

It's impossible to maintain "motivation" for something all the time long-term.

Motivation is not what you need for long-term weight loss success. You need the discipline to keep doing it anyway even during times your motivation has left the building.