Carb up, keto

Options
Hey guys,
I'm on a no/low carb (keto) but I'm taking one day off a week to eat foods with a little more carbs (like quinoa, oats, sweet potatoes etc). I've also picked this as my "rest day" is it okay to not go to the gym on my carb up day?
What do you guys think?

Also, on keto.. When does it stop being water weight loss? I'm a little anxious

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    How much are you increasing your carbs by? Its very quick to come out of keto & can take up to 72 hrs to go back into it. Do you use ketosis stixs to check?
  • mowmi
    mowmi Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm eating about 20-30% more than I usually do, so like 40-50grams. Oh no I haven't found ketosis stixs, I've checked a few places and most don't know what I mean, I'll probably need to order some.. I've heard they're not always accurate though, do you know if that's true?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about 20-30% more than I usually do, so like 40-50grams. Oh no I haven't found ketosis stixs, I've checked a few places and most don't know what I mean, I'll probably need to order some.. I've heard they're not always accurate though, do you know if that's true?

To be honest I only did keto for a short time & found it personally wasn't for me. I orginally got my stixs from a friend who is diabetic. I think they were pretty accurate. Just not for diabetics as apparently a total pain when they use them. Most chemists should still stock them even though they have fell out of favour for their orginal use. 75-80% fat, 20-25% protein, <5% carbs. This seems to be the best recommended mix for staying in keto. Sorry, as I say though it wasn't for me, but there will be loads of groups on here that can give you better info than me :smile:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I didn't do low carb for long either. it worked like a charm at the beginning, but after a while i just couldn't keep it low enough, so i ended up in that horrible in-between zone, where you are grouchy and have no energy for long runs.
    Personally, I'd probably try and figure out how much you can increase your daily carbs, without having a 'binge' day. Better to keep things even.
    Now I am training for long distance running, and I have to overcome the carb-avoidance I worked so hard for. Funny the things we do to ourselves :tongue:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Oopsie - double post...