Mondays at the gym

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
Is it me or is it EVERY Monday that just about every guy is in there doing chest/back? Rarely do I ever see dudes doing legs on Monday (which is why I train legs so I can have the rack to myself).

Opinions?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is that why I'm not fighting for the rack? I'll have to notice next time. Got 1 or 2 doing 5 x 5's as I come in, so they got some legs.

Shoot, and there I was thinking I'll be changing the schedule around since Monday will follow a long run day.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Isn't me .. I do my cardio on Mondays. Seems to work for me .. as the gym is very quiet and peaceful. Besides I don't want too many people to hear me scream.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty common for people for mondays to be "chest day". It's something I've been reading on and off through the internet and magazines since the mid 90s. I thought it was something that popped out of the roid-fueled 70s
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Monday is usually a rest day after I destroy myself on Sundays.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Everyone (both male and female) has MONDAY as CHEST day at my gym!!
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Mondays is a killer day for me.

5 km jog then leg day.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Probably because most people hate working their legs and place it at the end of the week.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Probably because most people hate working their legs and place it at the end of the week.

I hate them too, BUT I want to be able to use my legs on a weekend when I am out and about with family and friends. That's why I do them on Mondays.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I always do legs on sunday.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Oh boys, I get so excited to train every group!!! I did a massive leg seshh today and got some PBs!!! Stoked!!!! :):smile:
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I do chest on mondays, but at my gym its pretty varied, which is good as its not a massive gym.

I do
    Monday Chest / Abs
    Tuesday Back / Abs
    Wednesday Shoulders / Abs
    Thursday Biceps / Legs
    Friday Triceps / Legs

Sat - Sun Cardio
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mondays - I do fullbody - squats/deadlifts/OHP/BB Row or squats/bench/BB row and usually some additional triceps(scullcrushers or closegrip BP), biceps (sitting DB curls or chin-ups) work and some weighted crunches.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's international chest day on Monday.

Koing
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether I'm doing the A workout or the B workout.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Peak time on a Monday is a nightmare, it's always "chest Mondays" as I hear a lot.

To be fair, quite often on a Monday I am benching. Either that or it's a rest day. Not because that's when "chest day" has to be, and it's nothing to do with it being the start of the week (shift work can mean any day is the start of the week for me) More so because I have lower body days Tues/Thurs/Sat. I take at least one day off a week (always Sundays because the bf can't train with me then, and opening times aren't good) So upper body is left for the other 2 or 3 days. Sometimes I combine upper with lower, like today I did squats with OHP, but I prefer not to.

Good thing I'm rarely there in peak time. We only have one bench at our gym.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do chest on mondays, but at my gym its pretty varied, which is good as its not a massive gym.

I do
    Monday Chest / Abs
    Tuesday Back / Abs
    Wednesday Shoulders / Abs
    Thursday Biceps / Legs
    Friday Triceps / Legs

Sat - Sun Cardio

No legs?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is it EVERY Monday that just about every guy is in there doing chest/back? Rarely do I ever see dudes doing legs on Monday (which is why I train legs so I can have the rack to myself).

Opinions?

IDEA Fitness member

Haha to funny I just switch my routine a couple weeks ago and started doing Legs on Monday mornings (mainly because I am getting my knee's drained and getting my 3 rounds of Euflexxa in the afternoon) but I found that No one in my gym is doing Legs on Monday's...... although I still have to wait on the power racks to do squats cause there always seems to be that guy doing barbell curls.... Derp...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I always suggest to members and clients to do the body part they hate doing most on Mondays because of the enthusiasm after the weekend. This way one doesn't skip doing that hated body part on a Friday or weekend.
    I actually dislike doing chest the most so I should be doing it on Monday, but I don't want to compete for a bench (even though we have a lot of them). I like training legs and with the racks empty on Mondays, it just makes more sense to do it when it's available.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Those guys are actually doing Chest and Back every day. Chicken legs ftw!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    2z5Ic.jpg