An ode to thick thighs and squishy stomachs

Options
SuperCrsa
SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
While we are all here to better ourselves, I read this and thought I would share, regardless of what shape you are in now, you are still beautiful and alive! -

I’m squishier.

My thighs are thicker, my stomach rounder, my sides softer. My dresses are a little tighter, harder to squeeze into. I don’t wear pants much but it’s hard to find a pair that fits. I wake up and find that if I smile too hard at the wrong angle at my mirror image, my chin doubles.

When I contemplate the extra thickness in my thighs, I see clearly that I have a choice.

A choice to treat it as something foreign, as something that, even though on a part of me, isn’t a part of me.

Or a choice to see it as what it is, what it truly is.

I take my thighs into my hands and I feel them.

I feel how full of aliveness they are, constantly sparking with energy, with the evidence of life, the affirmation that I am here, I am here.

I feel how a part of me they are.

I feel how, though their size does not define me, their very existence shows how blessed I am: to have working legs, to have legs at all, to have the luxury of being nourished enough to fill my skin with flesh.

My stomach has creases from the fat rolls that will probably never go away. No matter what size I am, my stomach will probably be flabby, the skin loose and hanging, because of all the extreme size fluctuations I’ve gone through as a recovered disordered eater. No matter how small I may get, my stomach will probably still balloon when I eat too much salt, or eat a lot, period.

And it’s beautiful, the softness. It’s beautiful, the way it curves out and the way I look super-pregnant when I eat a lot. It’s beautiful, the way my digestive system, after so many years, reminds me again and again that it is reliable, that it will never fail me– no matter how many times I’ve failed it.

My skin, another survivor of my eating disorder, will probably always be loose, stretchmarked, scarred, and adorned with cellulite. Yet, it’s soft. It’s a survivor, not a casualty.

Contemplating my roundness, my softness, my warmth, I smile. I smile at my naked body, sometimes the skin between my legs sticks together because there’s no room, no space. I smile and I remember, I’m always remembering.

I remember that don’t need to believe the lies. The lie that because I look the way I do– that I look like myself, a real, live, warm human being– that I need to be ashamed.

I smile and I touch my skin.

I am alive. I am here.

And I will be bold, even though I see no reason that this should be bold. What I see is that this should be what’s normal– truly appreciating our bodies, inhabiting our bodies, and loving our bodies– no matter what they look like.

I will scream it in the streets if I have to.

I love my body.

No matter what it feels like.

No matter what it looks like.

Unconditionally.

Taken from http://www.rootsofshe.com/an-ode-to-thick-thighs-and-squishy-stomachs/

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I feel how, though their size does not define me, their very existence shows how blessed I am: to have working legs, to have legs at all, to have the luxury of being nourished enough to fill my skin with flesh.

Beautiful.

This whole piece is something to return to when the mean self-critic in me starts making rude comments. Which she does.

I have a computer file of stuff like this that helps to silence that voice. This is a good addition.

Thank you.
  • kaydeedoubleu1
    kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling emotional tonight and self-deprecating, and this made the tears flow. Thank you for posting.
  • KIWIFL
    KIWIFL Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love this!!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Really honest piece, I shall copy into my dairy for those self-loathing days when I need to be grateful!!!
    Thanks xx
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    Ah glad to see this piece inspired/affected others as much as it did me! :smile:

Its a pleasure ladies.
  • RemyaUnnikrishnan
    RemyaUnnikrishnan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. So many others, including me, can relate to this. Thank you for the reminder to love our bodies unconditionally.
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    There should be more gals feeling like that and say it loud! :flowerforyou:

Thumbs UP
  • Cazco29
    Cazco29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lovely, thank you for sharing - it's good to put things in perspective, it helps me remember that I have a lot to be happy about and grateful for :flowerforyou:
  • Red_Scorpio_www
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: Thank you for sharing!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    loving ourselves is so very important!:love:
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    loving ourselves is so very important!:love:

We only have ourselves at the end of the day so FOR SURE!
    Maybe we are taught not to be so selfish and always think of others but we are all that we have, and I love my body enough to start taking care of it. :smile:
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Thanks MissCKemp for sharing this Beautiful piece of work!:flowerforyou:
  • CalvinGainingIt
    Options
    This is really beautiful!
    So much to think about!
  • ttconn
    ttconn Posts: 14
    Options
    beautiful....thank you
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Loved it.

:flowerforyou:
  • kerrygailis
    kerrygailis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    wow lovely words and so true. Definitely going to remind myself of these words when I'm having a down day :smile:
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    I probably should have put this under motivation and support.. oops.
    More women need to see this!
  • safagirl
    Options
    Needed to read this today.